Does anyone actually want help?

Options
Or do you more-so want to vent on these boards? Talk about fads that you cycle through, ask very specific impossible questions to answer in a paragraph, defend the protocol you follow although you may not be seeing ANY results..

As a fitness professional, i use MFP to help my clients stay accountable and to track my own macros. I occasionally visit the boards to help out, maybe clear up some confusion, answer questions etc...

Most of the time it seems like people dont really want to hear it? they dont want truths or accuracy. They want...sympathy.

Can anyone shed some light? or am i just being cynical

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think you are correct. Most of the time, I think people know the truth, but don't want to hear it and sometimes don't want advice from others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Many people's idea of "support" is just agreeing with them and farting rainbows and ****ting jelly beans...
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    That's a relief! I'm very surprised to see anyone agree!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Or do you more-so want to vent on these boards? Talk about fads that you cycle through, ask very specific impossible questions to answer in a paragraph, defend the protocol you follow although you may not be seeing ANY results..

As a fitness professional, i use MFP to help my clients stay accountable and to track my own macros. I occasionally visit the boards to help out, maybe clear up some confusion, answer questions etc...

Most of the time it seems like people dont really want to hear it? they dont want truths or accuracy. They want...sympathy.

Can anyone shed some light? or am i just being cynical

Some people want unvarnished truth. Some people want sympathy or empathy. Some people want to vent. Some people want to proselytize. Some people want to argue. Some people want to post funny gifs.

And sometimes, that "some people" is the same person - just experiencing different moods or needs. Don't sweat it. :smokin:
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think you are correct. Most of the time, I think people know the truth, but don't want to hear it and sometimes don't want advice from others.

^^^ Yip!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Many people's idea of "support" is just agreeing with them and farting rainbows and ****ting jelly beans...

Yes, most people come here hoping they will be patted on the shoulder like they would in a Weight Watchers meeting. Then they realize that they will not be patronized.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Some people want unvarnished truth. Some people want sympathy or empathy. Some people want to vent. Some people want to proselytize. Some people want to argue. Some people want to post funny gifs. ods or needs. Don't sweat it. :smokin:

I just want cookies. Honest
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Bingo. People get their feelings hurt and feel "bullied" if you disagree and don't apologize for being blunt. Sorry. Sugar coating is for little kids. Grow up, put on your big boy/big girl panties and suck it up. If something that someone says hurts, that's likely because it has an element of truth to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You've obviously seen the same threads as me... January newbies are driving me mad already... Time to stay out the forums for a month or so!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

Many, Many years ago, I went to the Yahoo Chat rooms for fitness, weight loss, etc...
    All people wanted to do was complain about how big they had gotten and no one wanted to discuss exercise.

Needless to say, those chat rooms never became a habit.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There are people here who know what they're on about.

When they try to help or correct a myth they get called a meanie. People don't really want to take on board information that could help them. It's tiresome and dis-inclines you to help.

Sometimes people are genuinely seeking help and advice and take things on board and hopefully improve their fitness or overcome whatever problem they had. It's rare, but nice to see.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You've obviously seen the same threads as me... January newbies are driving me mad already... Time to stay out the forums for a month or so!
    One has already stomped off and deactivated. I think it also would help if people understood how forums in general worked. But, that's asking waaay too much.
  • Heather_Golden
    Heather_Golden Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You're completely right. I'm an exercise physiologist.. I do healthy living/working out/eating healthy for a career. I don't even bother posting advice anymore.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

One has already stomped off and deactivated. I think it also would help if people understood how forums in general worked. But, that's asking waaay too much.

I really hope that's the low carb woman!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Also, yeah...it is that time of the year. One of my resolutions this year was to be more patient and try to help more people...I'm doing the best I can, but damn...it's hard and I forget how much nonsense has been drilled into peoples heads by the "health and fitness" industry that is mostly just trying to sell them a product and could really give a rats *kitten* if they're successful in becoming healthy and fit.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Well here's a question that plagues me. I hear about macros and I am curious what is most important; trying to reach goal weight; keeping calories under or reaching your maximum macros? I did just start lifting weights again and I am trying to eat as much protein as possible. I also try to keep my carbs lower than what I am allowed. I have been losing steadily but want to make sure this trend continues. Am I worrying too much about keeping calories low? I'll open my diary of you want to look at my last few days. Thanks
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that people think supporting them is telling them what they want to hear, instead of what they need to hear. I would love to have friends kicking my butt seriously when I fall off the wagon, instead of ow well this one time, or what ever. I have done it as well and have seen it is not always appreciated. Yeah well, do you want support or not? :huh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Also, yeah...it is that time of the year. One of my resolutions this year was to be more patient and try to help more people...I'm doing the best I can, but damn...it's hard and I forget how much nonsense has been drilled into peoples heads by the "health and fitness" industry that is mostly just trying to sell them a product and could really give a rats *kitten* if they're successful in becoming healthy and fit.
    I'm still amazed that people believe marketing campaigns, and then complain when they're overstated. You must realize that someone is trying to sell you something. And just because fruit loops are made with whole grain does not make them "healthy". Of course they aren't unhealthy either, they just are. You have to figure out if it fits in your diet or not. But, they're hoping that "whole grain" will make you buy it. They're out to make money. Ugh.

And that's not even touching on the get thin quick schemes. Super tired of the phrase "no negative comments" or "only positive reviews". No one likes reality...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

:bigsmile:

:devil:

I think I'm getting hangry... I'm off to eat carbs.... (And protein and fat)