LCHF/KETO - New WOE seeking friends to share food diary.

Replies

• penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    I just got back into keto. Feel free to add me.
  • I have been a member since 2009. I have done low carb before and was successful to a point. Now, all the weight is back and I have finally faced the fact that low carb must be my lifestyle. I would really appreciate supportive friends and those who would share their lchf food diary.:smile:

I really hate to sound snarky..... but if it didn't work before and you regained all the weight (which is crazy unhealthy) WHY in god's name are you trying it again? It's restrictive and unmanageable and absolutely NOT NECESSARY!! Just create a caloric deficit that isn't too large and you're good. All low carb does is create a deficit!! Please don't torture yourself needlessly. I guarantee you'll be back here in a years time or even less complaining of regain again.
  • I have been a member since 2009. I have done low carb before and was successful to a point. Now, all the weight is back and I have finally faced the fact that low carb must be my lifestyle. I would really appreciate supportive friends and those who would share their lchf food diary.:smile:

I really hate to sound snarky..... but if it didn't work before and you regained all the weight (which is crazy unhealthy) WHY in god's name are you trying it again? It's restrictive and unmanageable and absolutely NOT NECESSARY!! Just create a caloric deficit that isn't too large and you're good. All low carb does is create a deficit!! Please don't torture yourself needlessly. I guarantee you'll be back here in a years time or even less complaining of regain again.

I don't really follow your logic. No matter what diet you choose, if you stop doing it and revert back to your old habits you will gain weight back. Additionally, you do not know the reasons why she stopped. I have stopped once because I just graduated from school and had a few months until I started a new job and I didn't have employment during that time and so I had to stretch what little money I had - keto diets can be expensive. Perhaps she got back on the diet because it worked for her and she didn't hate it.

I have been on keto for awhile now and I love it. I feel great, my blood work has improved, I am always satiated, snacking is reduced, and it has to be the most painless and enjoyable diet I have every been on once I became keto adapted.

When you say things like "all low carb does is create a deficit" it become clear that you are not very familiar with what it actually does. The main strength of diets like keto IMHO is that due to the high fat and moderate protein you feel satiated and you stop snacking. It is much easier to maintain the calorie defect that you need to lose weight when you aren't hungry.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I'm definitely high fat and protein. Don't know what the qualifying number low is for carbs tho.
  • That doesn't make sense. If she has trouble with simple portion control or binging on chocolate, then she'll have trouble sticking to a highly restrictive diet. Binging typically comes from being too restrictive. I'm not suggesting low calorie. I don't eat low calorie. Creating a deficit doesn't require you to starve. I eat an average of 2000-2200 calories a day in order to LOSE fat. And I'm successful and maintain it. So if she doesn't want advice from people who've been successful at this, then she shouldn't come to the forums and ask for advice.

I don't really follow your logic. No matter what diet you choose, if you stop doing it and revert back to your old habits you will gain weight back. Additionally, you do not know the reasons why she stopped. I have stopped once because I just graduated from school and had a few months until I started a new job and I didn't have employment during that time and so I had to stretch what little money I had - keto diets can be expensive. Perhaps she got back on the diet because it worked for her and she didn't hate it.

I have been on keto for awhile now and I love it. I feel great, my blood work has improved, I am always satiated, snacking is reduced, and it has to be the most painless and enjoyable diet I have every been on once I became keto adapted.

When you say things like "all low carb does is create a deficit" it become clear that you are not very familiar with what it actually does. The main strength of diets like keto IMHO is that due to the high fat and moderate protein you feel satiated and you stop snacking. It is much easier to maintain the calorie defect that you need to lose weight when you aren't hungry.

Yes I do understand low carb diets. And I also understand that if your highly restrictive "special" diet requires you to spend lots of cash and if you experience a life bump or have less money that you can't maintain that diet, then it's too restrictive and not a good LIFE choice. As in, you can't maintain it for LIFE. I'm not advocating for any diet. I'm suggesting she exercise and eat at a small deficit off of TDEE. It's not hard.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have been a member since 2009. I have done low carb before and was successful to a point. Now, all the weight is back and I have finally faced the fact that low carb must be my lifestyle. I would really appreciate supportive friends and those who would share their lchf food diary.:smile:

This doesn't make sense, low calorie diets are way less restrictive than eliminating an entire food group! That will just cause her to binge even more than just a low calorie diet, Anyone can eat within their calorie goals and lose weight, it's very simple. Adding all these rules is what makes it hard to maintain...

Also for people that say, I ate this way and lost x amount of weight, and then they stopped following the diet and gained it all back...The diet didn't work!!!

I lost 91lbs in 12 months and didn't gain it back(other than the bulking phase), that is a successful diet...
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    feel free to add me, I'm getting ready to start the low carb thing-been doing low calories for 2 yr and hit a plateau, thinking my body needs a kickstart and this might be it.....plus I eat way too much sugar anyway, so hoping this will flush it out:)
  • It is hard. Losing weight is psychologically and physically demanding. When you say things like "its not hard" you are doing NO good. You are trivializing the struggle that many people go through to lose weight. It just makes people feel bad about themselves.

You keep calling it highly restrictive. Other than sugars and grains it isn't. All diets are restrictive. The whole point of a diet is to develop restrictions that help you lose weight. I eat a larger variety of food than I ever ate while I was on a more balanced diet. I have tried more new things while on Keto than I have during my entire life. (Pizza with a cauliflower crust for example,

Meat is expensive. When I say I had very little money to stretch over the next few months I mean it. I barely had enough to live on ramen noodles. With a little effort, however, you can successfully be no a healthy ketogenic diet without a drastic increase in your food budget. Money, like with all diets, only allows you to dip into the more exotic.

How about you mind your own damn business?

To YOU its restrictive and unmanageable and absolutely not necessary, to others it isn't. Have you thought maybe she's tried to just do low calorie? Have you thought just maybe she gained weight because she has a hard time with portion control or not binging on chocolate? Too many variables in this for you to know what's best for her.

This doesn't make sense, low calorie diets are way less restrictive than eliminating an entire food group! That will just cause her to binge even more than just a low calorie diet, Anyone can eat within their calorie goals and lose weight, it's very simple. Adding all these rules is what makes it hard to maintain...

Also for people that say, I ate this way and lost x amount of weight, and then they stopped following the diet and gained it all back...The diet didn't work!!!

I lost 91lbs in 12 months and didn't gain it back(other than the bulking phase), that is a successful diet...

Keto still creates a calorie deficit. It is only easier because the fat and protein that you supplement the carb deficit with make you feel satiated for longer. Plenty of people have been on a ketogenic diet for years and have bulked up successfully. The urge to binge while no Keto goes away (at least for me) because of the fat and protein.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have been a member since 2009. I have done low carb before and was successful to a point. Now, all the weight is back and I have finally faced the fact that low carb must be my lifestyle. I would really appreciate supportive friends and those who would share their lchf food diary.:smile:

How about you mind your own damn business?

To YOU its restrictive and unmanageable and absolutely not necessary, to others it isn't. Have you thought maybe she's tried to just do low calorie? Have you thought just maybe she gained weight because she has a hard time with portion control or not binging on chocolate? Too many variables in this for you to know what's best for her.

Keto still creates a calorie deficit. It is only easier because the fat and protein that you supplement the carb deficit with make you feel satiated for longer. Plenty of people have been on a ketogenic diet for years and have bulked up successfully. The urge to binge while no Keto goes away (at least for me) because of the fat and protein.

I'm not saying it doesn't work , I'm saying it's completely unnecessary, it's pointless to limit certain foods, it's not healthier in any way...
  • I'm not saying it doesn't work , I'm saying it's completely unnecessary, it's pointless to limit certain foods, it's not healthier in any way...

It is healthier for me. I have tried to get my weight off with a variety of diets including a balanced approach. None of them worked. With keto I have gotten nearly 70 lbs off and I don't much longer to go. With that weight loss my cholesterol went from the high side of normal to the low side of normal, my blood sugar went from almost pre-diabetic to low normal, and I feel fantastic. So it has not been completely unnecessary or pointless for myself and many other people. We have had fantastic success with this diet after trying and failing for years with other approaches. It isn't an unhealthy diet so why try to dissuade people from doing it?
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.
  • You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.

Actually no she isn't. There are lots of cases of people being in dietary ketosis for 10+ years. For me IT IS a lifestyle change. I loved breads, pastas, and sugary foods. lovED. Past tense. I have no cravings for them now. I really mean that. I easily turn them down. I don't think about them. I love the food that I make and eat now and I will never go back to a moderate to high carb diet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/z7dvt/today_is_my_10year_ketoversary/

Here is a two year study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    You can add me as well. :-)
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.

Actually no she isn't. There are lots of cases of people being in dietary ketosis for 10+ years. For me IT IS a lifestyle change. I loved breads, pastas, and sugary foods. lovED. Past tense. I have no cravings for them now. I really mean that. I easily turn them down. I don't think about them. I love the food that I make and eat now and I will never go back to a moderate to high carb diet.

I certainly believe you, and I also believe you most likely are the exception, not the rule. Good for you though!!! You found what works (for you) and you've stuck by it.
  • You are 100% right MapleFlavour. I would love to see these people in 5... 10 years. DIETS don't work. It's all about a lifestyle. When you severely limit/ eliminate certain foods you used to enjoy then that's when you eventually binge on them and gain the weight back. Might work for now, but I doubt it will be easy to maintain in the long run. Trust me, I've learned from years of experience.

Sure buddy.... but I'm not super into eliminating perfectly fine and healthy foods for NO reason at all other than to create a deficit that I can do whilst eating all the breads and pastas (within my calorie limit). Plus, I don't have to be "that guy" at a gathering that has the "special diet". If my friends want to order nachos. I can eat them and not worry about peeing on a keto stick.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member

Um, it's not a diet to me. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life, with a few cheat meals in between if the need should arise. I've been doing this since July, with very few cheat days and I'm down to my last ten lbs, then it's keto maintenance for me.

Why do you assume that it's a diet to us?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

Yes, I agree, you're absolutely right. While we're giving unsolicited advice, my friend tried IIFYM last year and he failed in the long-term. Sadly, he's regained all the weight he lost (crazy unhealthy am I right?)??? Why in god's name would you ever try IIFYM since it's led to failure in the past. Why torture yourself? My other friend just simply counted calories and ate whatever she wanted to lose weight... but would you believe it, now she's even HEAVIER than she was before? Failure! Obviously calorie counting leads to failure since people have failed countless times counting calories in the past.

Am I doing it right? :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member

Yes, I agree, you're absolutely right. While we're giving unsolicited advice, my friend tried IIFYM last year and he failed in the long-term. Sadly, he's regained all the weight he lost (crazy unhealthy am I right?)??? Why in god's name would you ever try IIFYM since it's led to failure in the past. Why torture yourself? My other friend just simply counted calories and ate whatever she wanted to lose weight... but would you believe it, now she's even HEAVIER than she was before? Failure! Obviously calorie counting leads to failure since people have failed countless times counting calories in the past.

Am I doing it right? :flowerforyou:

I see what you did there :bigsmile: .....and yes you did it spot on!