LCHF/KETO - New WOE seeking friends to share food diary.

Options

Replies

• jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just started with keto today.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    To follow any of the logic of 'people fail calorie counting so why do it' is ridiculous. Then why try anything? No matter which diet you follow, the basic premise of any of them of them is creating a calorie deficit. Whether you actually count the calories or not, the fact that you eliminate a food source creates a deficit and causes weight loss. Therefore, it's false logic to say that counting calories will fail. You might as well say all diets will fail. A person is much more likely to be successful in a calorie deficit that doesn't require him to feel deprived of a specific food, than to try to follow a diet plan that requires him to give up one or many specific foods.

I tried calorie counting and it didn't work. I was still hungry when I had met my calorie goal and I found having to weight and log my food to restricting (I want to just be able to dish food up and eat the amount I want).

On my own study of one calorie counting didn't work.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    To follow any of the logic of 'people fail calorie counting so why do it' is ridiculous. Then why try anything? No matter which diet you follow, the basic premise of any of them of them is creating a calorie deficit. Whether you actually count the calories or not, the fact that you eliminate a food source creates a deficit and causes weight loss. Therefore, it's false logic to say that counting calories will fail. You might as well say all diets will fail. A person is much more likely to be successful in a calorie deficit that doesn't require him to feel deprived of a specific food, than to try to follow a diet plan that requires him to give up one or many specific foods.

I tried calorie counting and it didn't work. I was still hungry when I had met my calorie goal and I found having to weight and log my food to restricting (I want to just be able to dish food up and eat the amount I want).

Then you were eating the wrong foods while fitting into your calorie goals. The people who find success in the long-term don't give up when they have struggles; they make changes along the way to find success. The ability to adapt is part of why humans can be successful in the face of adversity. When we struggle against hunger, we find other foods to eat to feel fulfilled while still meeting our calorie goals and losing weight.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Same here. I counted calories for 6 months and got no where really except further and further away from my husband because I was SUCH a moody b*^%* 24/7... I was hungry all the time and had headaches all the time and exhausted all the time and didn't really get anywhere weight loss wise...

When I do low carb I feel so much better and the agitation and moodiness goes away. My insomnia gets better. My energy is higher. I want to do more physically.

I fully understand that not everyone has these results but I also understand that no "diet" is one size fits all.... From and insulin resistant standpoint I can't eat carbs and feel well...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Then you were eating the wrong foods while fitting into your calorie goals. The people who find success in the long-term don't give up when they have struggles; they make changes along the way to find success. The ability to adapt is part of why humans can be successful in the face of adversity. When we struggle against hunger, we find other foods to eat to feel fulfilled while still meeting our calorie goals and losing weight.

How can I of been eating the wrong food - surely the beauty of calorie counting is I can eat the food I want.

Plus since going LCHF I've not had to struggle with hunger, or go without the food I want.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

How can I of been eating the wrong food - surely the beauty of calorie counting is I can eat the food I want.

If you were making choices that left you feeling hungry, then you needed to make adjustments that left you feeling not hungry. The point of it is to make you not feel deprived. you eat some of the foods you like, just smaller portions, and then fill in the rest of your calorie goals with foods that are going to make you feel satiated.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options

If you were making choices that left you feeling hungry, then you needed to make adjustments that left you feeling not hungry. The point of it is to make you not feel deprived. you eat some of the foods you like, just smaller portions, and then fill in the rest of your calorie goals with foods that are going to make you feel satiated.

Um... He is and he did.... He's still within his calorie goals and did adjust to where he found foods that made it where he wasn't constantly hungry..... Who says he's deprived or not eating food he wants? I know for me personally I WANT steak and asparagus or chicken and a salad or tuna salad and avacado ....... I'm not crying over my steaks wishing it was cookies....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Thanks I am doing that now - all without having to count calories or log my food. It's great.

Plus I feel I have more energy.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Um... He is and he did.... He's still within his calorie goals and did adjust to where he found foods that made it where he wasn't constantly hungry..... Who says he's deprived or not eating food he wants? I know for me personally I WANT steak and asparagus or chicken and a salad or tuna salad and avacado ....... I'm not crying over my steaks wishing it was cookies....

Agreed, in my diet there is not one food I want but cannot have.

Also if it's someone's birthday and offer me cake - guess what I eat it (out of politeness). A low carb diet doesn't mean you can't eat anything you want it means you adjust your tastes to not wanting the food.

Then you were eating the wrong foods while fitting into your low carbs. The people who find success in the long-term don't give up when they have struggles; they make changes along the way to find success. The ability to adapt is part of why humans can be successful in the face of adversity. When we struggle against high carb cravings, we find other foods to eat to feel fulfilled while still meeting our low carb goals and losing weight.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My diary is open .... started restricting starchy carbs at the beginning of Jan and have dropped 40lbs so far.

Typically - I'm under 50g of carbs daily but will have potatoes and / or rice over the weekend. Still - generally low though!
  • lovehealthlift
    lovehealthlift Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing Keto since September 2013 and I would happily share my diary with you!

My diary is public anyway and I also run a blog + have a youtube channel featuring the ketogenic diet :-)

www.lovehealthlift.tumblr.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xraaeee

I'll send you a friend request!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

CI/CO will make you feel deprived and hungry long term. Some are disciplined enough to bear it. LCHF/Keto for a lot of people solve the hunger side of the equation. Also, there are a great many variables on CI/CO that cannot be accounted for on any app or food diary. The real answer which you are close is to food quality, not quantity. Eating more nutritious foods makes you sated over the long term.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A person is much more likely to be successful in a calorie deficit that doesn't require him to feel deprived of a specific food, than to try to follow a diet plan that requires him to give up one or many specific foods.

The problem with such conclusory statements is that, like all conclusory statements, there's no support to back them up. You proclaim that people are "much more likely to be successful" following one diet plan relative to another, but there is simply no proof to back such statements. And please don't tell me that you see more success stories on MFP from people who follow a certain type of diet relative to people to who follow other diets, because that sort of anecdotal evidence is no more convincing than your conclusory statement. Ultimately, what leads to long-term success is your mindset and your ability to maintain your focus. If you continue wanting weight loss for the rest of your life enough to keep your calories in check, it's hard to see how you will not succeed in the long-term. The problem is people become complacent, distracted, lazy or any number of other things and they lose that focus on their health. How you maintain that mindset/focus really comes down to the individual.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You can add me.
  • jmunk801
    jmunk801 Posts: 4
    Options
    Your doing GREAT!! I just started Keto last Tuesday. I fell so much better this past week I have more energy and I am addicted to learning more and more. I am also thinking of putting together a tumbler blog to track my progress and to keep track of my notes (so I might steal your layout)

Keep going you a motivation for me.
  • lovehealthlift
    lovehealthlift Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tumblr is an EXCELLENT support network, you should definitely set one up! Tumblr has helped me go from 200lbs to 140lbs and without it I don't think I'd be here!
  • ndarrling
    ndarrling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @Lovehealthlif - you look great! Its great to see your progress!!

I have been doing pure keto for a month now. Before that I had just been eating clean paleo for about a year. I had been working out quite a lot: yoga, swimming, zumba and lifting, and not losing a lb. I was also always tired. Years ago I was diagnosed with ADD too, which now I look back and see that ADD and nutrition are definitely related. I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism this year. Now I am finally losing weight. I naturally have a boxy swimmers build, so I'll never be tiny. I have accepted this.

Keto helps me in more ways than losing weight. I have a lot of energy, better brain focus, no daily mood spikes, feeling satiated all day, falling asleep at a normal time as opposed to the insomnia I have had since I was a kid, and over all feeling better in general.

I really don't want to hear any negativity from the keto haters. This isn't about vanity, this is about my over all health.

feel free to add me! I'd love to see your daily food intake. I am currently doing 1531 cals a day and it's pretty boring, but I also don't have a ton of money to buy all the fancy low carb foods.
  • AMPitup89
    AMPitup89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To the Keto/LC/LCHF haters, here is a piece of my story.

One day I woke up almost unable to get out of bed. I had to slowly maneuver my way to get out of bed and to the bathroom. I was completely bewildered as to what happened to me. I felt fine going to bed and I had not done anything particularly strenuous or harmful that day but woke up feeling like I had been disabled. I have never experience pain like that in my entire life.

The pain went on for months and I would lose sleep trying to scan google for any possible cause and more importantly, a solution. Frankly, I didn't have insurance. I just graduated college, started working and I didn't have any financial support. I suffered every minute of every day for 4 months. Bayer would numb the sharp pain but i had to live with it. It was hard to sit at my desk, hard to stand to go shopping. I cried all the time - in bed, in the shower, even at work.

The next thing I was going to try was losing weight. I decided to try low carb. Within 2 weeks, 90% of my pain was gone. The change was so fast. One day I just realized "wow, this doesn't hurt!" And over the next 2 weeks, there were 0 symptoms. I felt so energized the whole time. After a few months, I went on vacation and decided to loosen up and enjoy myself. Well, I went on enjoying myself for much longer. If you've ever felt weak to carbs/sugar, you know how it hooks you. One pasta dish can easily turn into a week of carbs. Even so, that extreme pain never returned.

I finally qualified for insurance. Naturally, a GP blew me off. Later, I went to see a chiro. I told him my history, including the experience described, and he was very open to the idea of LC/keto and the healing I experience. Many people experience a improvement in inflammation and his theory was that a injury I somehow sustained was exacerbated by the inflammation (that was caused by my 'eat anything' diet). When the inflammation finally subsided, my body was able to heal itself. That's why no amount of stretches or exercises ever helped.

I've been transitioning back into keto recently and I feel better for it. I believe i was experiencing some minor IBS symptoms and the change in diet has completely helped.

The calorie theory doesn't account for the positive physical changes I've experienced. This is just what works for me. I'm glad others can enjoy bread. I just can't. I'm not celiac but I know I can't handle much.

I finally started to weigh myself too (after transitioning to be keto-adapted since late Feb) and I've woken up to a pound loss each morning. I'm not hungry or sluggish, I feel great.

Also, add me to view my diary/logs. I always record M-F and I've just started logging weekends too. I keep it basic.

-AMP
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb in the past with some success but as soon as I started eating sugar & other things like pasta/flour etc I gained it all back. I started doing LCHF on March 1st & have never felt better. I feel mentally alert, energetic, and have lost 12 lbs since then. Although I've been stalled for the last week, i would not change how i'm eating, I feel too good. Normally my knees & ankles are aching & those aches are gone.

I understand the nay sayers. Not everyone can embrace the unknown. But don't knock it til you try it.
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to low carb eating but I am new to keeping track of things. I've lost 140 lbs, with another 100 lbs to go. Would be grateful to add any KETO people so I can create some new community and totally stalk your diaries :) -Mable