Loose Skin- the real deal

Options

Replies

• playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Awesome post and what an OUTSTANDING job you've done! Thank you so much for sharing this. I especially like your strong, positive attitude about having the extra skin. I am someone that is struggling with the idea of excess skin and there aren't many people who share their stories about it. I've even sought out a cosmetic surgeon once, but I can't fork out $25,000 to have the surgery. Your post helped make me feel better about myself and the extra skin that I will have left when I reach my goal weigh again.

Thanks for being such an inspiration and keep up the awesome work!!! You're definitely an inspiration to me and exactly what I want to achieve.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to speak or I will get pounced on because I can not back it up with science so I will just back away slowly .

OP You look great !! Congrats !!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Why should have skin reduction surgery? Losing weight and getting muscles doesn't make women throw themselves at me or gotten me a super awesome job. So having some loose skin isn't going to make me a bad person. I have to say I don't feel great about having all the extra skin but it isn't the end of the world. I even have some lose skin on my arms and they stayed almost the same size as I lost all the weight. Once the skin gets detached from the muscle it doesn't matter what you do. Just wanted to let people know almost all the factors of getting lose skin are out of your control(other then surgery).

This post and thread have made me feel a lot better in several ways. I've lost around 80lbs and am unsure if my skin will tighten up or not over the years. I'll try my best by going to the gym, but because of my medical background, surgery is too dangerous for me to undergo for something like skin reduction. I appreciate you sharing your story, it's been very motivational to see you accepting yourself without worrying about surgery. Also I'd just like to say that you look amazing and I can't believe how much hard work you must have put into transforming your life. :)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You look great and you've done fantastic on weight loss and muscle gain!!! I lost 74lb and have a bit of lose skin on my belly. I admire your honesty, I know how hard it can be to show people. time well tell how much of the loose skin is here to stay But being fit is by far the most important thing!!
    Thank you for sharing :-)
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ummm. Hot. Very hot. Those muscles do it so much for me. Alot.

Who cares about skin when you have that kind of muscle??
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing. You have great muscles! Thanks for being brave enough to show what a body can look like with some extra skin. My husband and I have both lost 100 lbs, and we have no delusions that our skin will bounce back completely after being stretched for so long.
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you look awesome... that skin is a reminder of how far you have come... own it! :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your awesomely honest post on this subject!

And a huge congratulations on your work and commitment to do, what is in your hands to change your body!
  • SherryL0419
    SherryL0419 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the honest post & I must say CONGRATS on your success!! Very motivating!! I think you look great!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Sam, when did the loose skin first show up? By that I mean, how many pounds had you lost when it became noticeable.

There aren't many things for which I can say "thanks ma and pa for the genetics" but so far, after a 115 pound loss in 9 months, I don't have any loose skin. I'm wondering if I won the genetic lottery or if it still may yet appear when I knock off the next 20-25 pounds.

ETA - also you do deserve mega congrats. Your attitude is spot-on, this is a trivial issue compared to obesity.
  • bfrisky
    Options
    I've been using a product that tightens and tones loose skin.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Interesting for sure. So far I am doing OK in terms of loose skin but as I get closer to a healthy BF% I am fearing it will start showing up. I am following a guys log on another site and he has terribly loose skin but over the past 4 months or so he has lost more fat but skin seems to be coming back a little.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! You have done such an incredible job!!

I've been a yo yo dieter my whole life (25 years old) and had a baby 2 years ago. I've seen posts of moms with 6 pack abs, but alas all I have is loose skin in my tummy area (had gallbladder removed at 5 months pregnant & appendix removed 2 weeks post-partum in 2011) & my muscles haven't healed quite like they were suppose to. Luckily, I am a pretty optimistic person & am happy just not to be obese anymore. My health is #1. Vanity is def not at the top of my list. :)
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I could tell once I lost about 50# that some skin wasn't sticking right anymore. I think it was already loose before I ever lost any weight I just didn't know it at the time. Also its not about how lose or tight or even how thick it is because I have dropped to even lower body fat %(like 6-7%) dropped all my salt and water and I looked even worse, it is the fact that the skin is no longer connected directly the muscle underneath anymore.

I am going bald too, and see some guys that will try anything to get it back. So there is a big market for selling whacky stuff to desperate people. In the end almost no one cares about your damn hair other then you, and if they do, you probably don't want to be involved with them anyway.
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    Amazing job! You look great. And like I tell my hubby, I'm going to have skin issues when this is done. As long as I look good clothed I don't care. As for my hubby, he loves me fat so what's the difference with the loose skin? At least I'll be doing everything I can to be in good health so we have as much time together as possible! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I didn't get to the point in the journey you did ( unsure my body would even do that lol) but I had massive skin issues too and I was pretty close to my goal. I wasn't sure if I lost another 30 lbs I could solve it and I would look sickly. So I had a set of twins then lost 115 lbs....now 17 days post op full abdominoplasty. While the change is unreal it's too early in the game for final judgements.

Eta: as I read the poster above mines comment. I was tired of tucking my stomach in my pants. I was tired of only one style of shirt being able to hide it. I was tired of working out and eating healthy for that horrific tummy to stare back at me in the mirror. It sucked
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I know if I dropped down to that % of body fat I would have the same loss skin like you. I knew I would never have the perfect beach body after dropping weight but never let it stop me.. I am just going to keep hitting the weights and trying to make myself stronger.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and experience! Fantastic results on the weight lost!!! You look great!
  • debbynoelle
    Options
    You are amazing and inspiring! I have been overweight for about seven years, I am hoping to have minimal loose skin. But by the time I am at a healthy weight I don't think I will care, I will just be very happy to look and feel amazing.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lovely story, and amazing loss!! Great muscles :wink: You are very brave and open about your loose skin, and I really applaud you for putting it all out there. A lot of people have the same "issue" when they lose a lot of weight, so you are definitely a role model for all of those too afraid to show off all of their hard work for fear of being judged over loose skin. I've had 3 kids, and no amount of yoga, sit ups...will take away the loose skin on my belly, but I'm ok with that because I love the shape I'm in now! I even wear a bikini, and don't care (plus being 45 has made me get over a lot of my old insecurities...I just don't have time for them anymore!). :drinker: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!