• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    FWIW the reknowned Tom Venuto says this about loose skin

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, and congratulations for your hard work and accomplishment. For what is worth I think you look good and have a really healty attitude.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been using a product that tightens and tones loose skin. Yes, I do sell it so I'm biased, but I can show you pictures of people who have tightened up skin after gastric bypass surgery & major weight loss. I'm new to this site so don't know how to add pictures or the rules on promoting products and I don't want to offend anyone. I'm happy to share if you are interested, but just wanted to let you all know that there are effective DYI products on the market to deal with these problems.

It is against the rules to advertize your product here.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As many others have said, thank you for sharing.

Massive BUMP for when I need reminding :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP you look great. I when I opened this thread my first thought was "WOW look at those muscles!" not anything about skin.

And I do think there's some value in preparing people for the possibility of loose skin even if everything is done "right." I don't like the implication that if a person has some loose skin it means they did something wrong. I think a very large portion is genetics.

Bottom line though, you've accomplished amazing things.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations - that's an amazing success story.

Secondly, to echo a previous poster's question - has the loose skin caused any physiological problems for you (or other commenters)? Such as chafing etc?
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Loose skin or not, you're looking great!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!!!! :drinker: :heart:

This is one of the "oh-so-right" features of MFP and its users.

Honesty and REAL bodies and stories.
    IMHO, not only should you be proud, I'd love to see more bodies like yours in magazines and in the media!

I personally think that the general population would benefit from seeing that loose skin is very likely going to be a part of life for many people and it doesn't need to be something to be feared or ashamed of.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since the loss?

I've heard that after 1-1/2 years of maintaining the loss your skin may slightly get better (depending on age, genetics, elasticity, the amount of weight you lost, etc.) but what you have left at that point is not going to change.

The only real option I've heard of is wait for a year to a year and a half and see what it looks like. Then determine if its still bad or unpleasing enough to warrant surgical options. This of course can be costly, and some find the scaring, risks, and price to be deterring.

Eta: I just read you didn't want surgery. I was confused about the purpose of this post initially. I thought the above was common knowledge- I didn't know anyone thought it went away on its own. Regardless, congrats! You look great. :)

No its not common knowledge at all. People will always think oh you still have fat on you, get more lean. Or you don't have any muscle to fill it out or it will go away with time. Don't even get me started with the crazy stuff people will tell you to put on your skin.

Also it is not that I don't want removed, it's that I don't NEED it removed. Lets face it, the cost to get it removed is about as much as a new car. If I could get it for free I wouldn't turn it down. The fact is life isn't like a tv show, and people don't just give you stuff for free because you did an awesome job. Getting the skin removed just isn't going to be in the cards for most of us, for a lot of reasons. It is ok to feel bad if you have loose skin and if you can get it removed by all means go for it, bottom line is you are the one that has to live in your own body not anyone else.

As I was losing weight this is one of the things that got stuck in my head as so important, but it is not at all. Just when things don't go like you want them too, even if its all in your head sometimes you fall back on old habits. People come and go but pizza is 11.99. I think its much better to know so people don't fall back back.

As I got in to weight lifting, I though stuff like my bench press and squat were sooooooooooooooo important. Turns out almost no one cares about my damn squat and if I bring it up I start to sound like a dbag. I think the reason most doctors tell you to wait a year, is not because they think it will shrink up, but a year is about enough time for you to get your head right. See its not as big a deal as you first though it was.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow-great work. Has the excess skin caused you any non-cosmetic problems - like ulcers or sores or negatively impacted your ability to exercise?

For me, as of yet no. I cant say for anyone else, or even if it wont be a problem later.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Great information about the loose skin. Thanks for sharing. Now I don't feel quite as bad about mine. I've lost just over 90 pounds in the last year and have some loose skin, mostly on my arms and legs...and my butt. I'm 58 and have been overweight most of my adult life, so I really expected that my skin would not bounce back. I have had a couple of issues with it. One funny and one not funny.

One day driving in the car with my 4 year old grandson, he asked me, "Grandma, why do your elbows jiggle?" It still makes me laugh to think about it.

A week ago I had a heart cath procedure (3rd one in about 7 months) and when they removed the sheath from my leg/groin I had a hematoma. They could not get good pressure on it because of the loose skin. They could not get a grip because the skin kept moving under their fingers, and were preparing to rush me back to the OR when two burly male nurses finally managed to squeeze it off. That was really scary and I could have died. The hematoma was the size of a volleyball. I still have the outline in red marker on my leg. But later even the doctor said the loose skin was far better for me than that extra weight.

I have another 60 pounds to go before I reach my goal, so I know the loose skin will be even worse, but that's not going to keep me from losing the weight. To me it's kind of a badge of honor. That said, I do kind of hate to look in the mirror and see the sagging neck. I used to joke that I looked younger than I was because the fat filled all the wrinkles. Now, the fat is going away and I'm just left with the wrinkles. Suddenly I look much older than I really am. But that's ok. I just won't look in the mirror that much.

Sylvia
  • kcangela
    kcangela Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You have done really well. Its an amazing loss and health wise you must have added years to your life. I too have loose skin and hate myself when undressed, but clothed its not so noticeable. However, you look amazing in the pics - and dont need to cover up with a T shirt! Very impressive, you should be very proud of your achievement.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have been about the same weight for a year now. You shouldn't fear loose skin, in the end it doesn't matter. It's more in your own mind then anything else.

THIS is what I am glad to read. I can't believe how many messages I get here from people with 100+ pounds to lose who ask about loose skin. As if that is the most important thing about losing weight.

My answer is usually some derivation of:
    Yes, I have some. It's better for me than for many, and I don't have any reason as to why. Sometimes it gets me down. But I look great in nearly anything I want to wear. I wear bikinis despite saggy thighs. I feel amazing. Don't worry about it. It will be bad, or it won't. If it's really bad, your insurance might pay for removal. Otherwise, just recognize that no body is perfect and dropping the weight is absolutely worth the cost of some loose skin. Health and happiness >>>> aesthetics.

Well done, thank you for sharing your pics and the true story.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 114 pounds - I'm only 5'5". I have A LOT of loose skin, and it really really sucks. It's mostly cosmetic, yes, and that's not the most important thing. On this, we agree. But there are certainly bound to be some self-esteem issues wrapped-up in this (at least, there are for me). It's also a bit defeating to work so very hard to get to/near your goal weight, but then to still feel uncomfortable with your body - uncomfortable wearing a bathing suit, etc. I understand what people are saying about how this isn't the main issue, your health is, but there's no denying that it still sucks. Big time.

I am about 20 pounds from my goal weight and, when I get there, I'm hoping to go back to my doctor to ask them again to try and work with my insurance on the needed surgery. I went about a year ago and insurance denied the procedures (for chest and stomach). I'm hoping that, having lost more weight and, more important, body fat %, they might reconsider this as truly necessary - it does cause back pain, sometimes rashes, and makes running/jumping more difficult (because the skin literally flops around and hangs down from my arms, stomach). I may be worse off than some/many, but I really understand those who are asking about this, and I wish people wouldn't just dismiss the problem outright as if it's not an issue. For some of us, it's pretty bad.

All that being said - don't let it deter you from getting to your goal. I did fall into that trap, once. I got very discouraged when I neared my goal a year ago, and my anxiety over this caused me to gain some weight back. That was NOT worth it. Keep doing what you can, what you need to, and, if you're in a situation like mine - well, hopefully you have better insurance or the means to save money and get skin removal surgery. I'll get there, one day. :)
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's comments about how amazing you look, and your loose skin is not what one first notices due to your muscles and overall physique. I do, however, think it's important for people to realize that they may have it though. I know it's a worry in the back of my mind. And I am divorced and once I lose some more weight and feel more attactive, I want to look for someone special again. It's hard to be confident about how you look if you are fat, or if your skin sags and there is no denying then that you once were fat. I dated a man once who lost a lot of weight and his tummy skin hung down a lot. (Nothing like the OP who's is nothing compared to his!) I have to say it wasn't very attractive. And he had to watch it in the summer for sweating and infection. So I do not look forward to that myself. But it won't be a deterrant to losing the weight. I would like to get it removed eventually, if mine looks like his did, but that will be based on cost and dangerousness.

Thanks for posting this - it's important for everyone to know and have realistic thoughts of what their future may be like. So many people glamorize how their life will be once they lose the weight that it is often disappointing for them when it isn't like that.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Wow wow wow - looking amazing!!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous, I have lost a lot and don't have hardly any loose skin. I do have a little but not much at all.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    you're still young and maybe in another few years it will look much better
    I'd love to see some photos of anyone who was overweight for that long and lost that much, even slowly, who ended up with minimal loose skin and an almost flat belly (without surgery). To me, that seems as realistic as the tooth fairy. I'm not saying that to be snarky, that's just the best way I can put it!

So...anyone?
    As the OP said: post up some before and after pics or it didn't happen

<- Not that long (was skinny fat before slowly becoming fat, was obese for a little more than 5 years), and not quite that much weight, but my avi has about 90 lbs less fat that when I started.

However I lost 75 lbs then bulked, cut, bulked, and cut before my avi shot was taken, gaining 15 lbs of muscle and losing an additional 15 lbs fat during the bulk-cut cycles.

I have zero loose skin now, but I definitely had the deflated balloon look going on after my initial 75 lb loss.

The first 2 months bulking had an amazing effect on the loose skin that I had (I wasn't terribly lean at the time either, about 20%). Being in a sustained high protein calorie surplus made a huge difference. It isn't just good for growing muscle, all body processes that require growth and repair are supercharged.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have a ton of loose skin since losing almost 170 pounds. Surgery seems scary to me but some days the loose skin is depressing. But you are right, it is better than the alternative and not the end of the world. Thanks again and you look awesome!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Why should have skin reduction surgery? Losing weight and getting muscles doesn't make women throw themselves at me or gotten me a super awesome job. So having some loose skin isn't going to make me a bad person. I have to say I don't feel great about having all the extra skin but it isn't the end of the world. I even have some lose skin on my arms and they stayed almost the same size as I lost all the weight. Once the skin gets detached from the muscle it doesn't matter what you do. Just wanted to let people know almost all the factors of getting lose skin are out of your control(other then surgery).
    Very well said!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!