Holding the handrails on treadmill?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    only when the incline is 25 or high (incline trainer treadmill)
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to hold onto the handrails a few years ago when I first started using the treadmill. It was for balance/peace of mind because I have had a few knee surgeries and I didn't completely feel comfortable. Things have obviously changed since then, but to each their own- everyone is different.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Davemunger.......I don't think you offended as much as what's his face (amadbro or whatever his 'handle' was). You may originally have been asking the question in a "what's the deal with people holding on to the treadmill rails"....just to strike up a discussion. If you had a true interest in the 'why's', then no offense should be taken. But I suspect it was because of the overwhelming response OF the reasons why one might feel inclinded to hold on in the first place prompted you to rethink the original (what seemed like) a flippent question. If it wasn't, my apologies. But in conclusion....now you know some of the reasons. I appreciated you've outlined the responses for future reference. Now lets all get along nicely and use myfitness pal for what I thought was for support, ideas, etc. Mr. amadbro......no further comment to your responses. You keep on doing your own thing.
    ps - Im not a big fan of treadmills. I prefer running outdoors....even in this godforesaken -30 celcius weather. However, if i ever find the urge to jump on one, I'll try not to hold the rails:wink:

I absolutely agree - I was not offended by Dave, the OP. His question came across to me as something he is genuinly interested to understand and I was happy to give my reason...somewhere along the track the tone of this thread changed :( but at least there has been some discussion about that fact that everyone is different and we should all respect that. Some people are only happy when they pump iron, some when run marathons, and some when walking on treadmill - we are all different - what matters is that all of these people exercise, work out, raise their HR for shorter or longer amount of time in one way or the other.
    One of the most important life lessons I learnt was a qoute I still use "Don't compare your results to someone else's. You can never be another person, you can only be a better version of yourself." we are all working on becoming that better version of ourselves - we all define the person we want to become differently so the road is different for all of us. Some of us use handrails :)
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I wasn't offended in the least. I gave an honest answer as did a lot of people.
  • brittov2
    Options
    :smile: :laugh: Fun Reasons To Hit The Gym http://collegetimes.ie/2014/01/07/10-reasons-hit-gym
  • lagrossevache
    lagrossevache Posts: 2 Member
    Options

3. They have a disability that prevents them from being able to use the treadmill without hanging on tightly (I don't think I've seen anyone at my gym who falls into this category, but it's great to hear about people who are disabled and still working out!)

I wasn't offended at all by your question.

I said before, I death grip due to a stroke. The rails replace my walking stick and I can't use use a treadmill without either music or earplugs to block out noise distractions which could cause a fall if I don't think to lift my foot high enough. Physical weakness+balance issues = not using treadmills unsupervised without my physio or PT if it's a gym day. I think everyone is used to my oddities by now :) My 2014 goal is to be able to use a treadmill without supervision lol.
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I was a younger man, I often wondered why the older people do the things they do. Now that I'm creeping up on the big 6 and O this year, I know why we old folks do what we do... :laugh: I've had knee surgery (meniscus repair) and have arthritis in both knees and lower back. Holding onto the side rails improves my balance and provides a temporary alteration of stress on knees/lower back. We old folks may be old but we're not stupid... :wink:
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    when I am running on treadmill I don't hold on-but if I feel I am going to lose my balance I do- I to check my heart rate I do-are if I am side stepping are walking back wards are walking 4.0 -15 incline I hold on -
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Who gives a rats...treadmills are really for unfolded washing anyway.
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Who gives a rats...treadmills are really for unfolded washing anyway.

Lol. Thanks for the morning chuckle.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Dave....

I don't have a disability, and you see me over in the long distance running group so you know that I am a runner. And sometimes, as all of us runner's are at some point, am forced onto a treadmill because of weather. If I am there and doing an honest run, then no, I don't use the hand rails. I don't feel I need to.

But....

If I decide to use the treadmill to crosstrain a bit (walking) I usually end up doing a steep incline hike, in which case I will hold onto the rails for balance and support. It isn't a true statement to say, "You wouldn't do that outside so why do it inside" as I hike with tekking poles. And on steep hikes I use them to support balance. So, I naturally use the treadmill rails to support balance. I don't solely rely on them. It is more of a safety blanket feeling for me. That is what the rails are there for anyway. The same reason why there is a kill switch...that no one EVER uses lol. The rails are there for people to use as a safety feature, and if they want to utilize them then so be it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    For me I am just getting over a broken ankle and am just starting to put complete pressure on my ankle. For some reason I feel like I have to relearn how to run as my gate is all messed up and need the handles for balance until running feels comfortable again.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    what I don't understand is why people have to be so concerned about what others are doing...you are at the gym for your OWN workout. Not worrying about your own self is what got you to be needing to go to the gym in the first place!!!

This^^^^^

and...I have a heel spur..I walk, I jog for two minutes not holding on..and then when I raise the incline all the way up to keep my heart rate up I hold onto the back of the control panel. I am 5ft tall with short legs. I can't constantly run because of my heel so this is how I keep my heart rate up. If you have never had this type of injury/issue you wouldn't understand that you have to get creative to avoid having a flair up.

If you want to people watch go to the mall and stop wasting your money at the gym..better yet give me the money you are spending on membership so I can use it for a new wardrobe..
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    what I don't understand is why people have to be so concerned about what others are doing...you are at the gym for your OWN workout. Not worrying about your own self is what got you to be needing to go to the gym in the first place!!!

This^^^^^

and...I have a heel spur..I walk, I jog for two minutes not holding on..and then when I raise the incline all the way up to keep my heart rate up I hold onto the back of the control panel. I am 5ft tall with short legs. I can't constantly run because of my heel so this is how I keep my heart rate up. If you have never had this type of injury/issue you wouldn't understand that you have to get creative to avoid having a flair up.

If you want to people watch go to the mall and stop wasting your money at the gym..better yet give me the money you are spending on membership so I can use it for a new wardrobe..

Most of the time when you're on the cardio deck, you're working out 2 feet from the person next to you. Sometimes you notice what's happening in a 2ft radius around you.

I used to love people watching at the gym while getting my cardio in, didn't know I was wasting my time cutting my 5K time down from 22 minutes to 19. Who knew.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    When I first started running I would do this. My balance felt off. I probably had a death grip on there as well w/out realizing it. Once I became more confident I let go.

^^^This. Start slower than you think you should. Then gradually build up speed.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Davemunger.......I don't think you offended as much as what's his face (amadbro or whatever his 'handle' was). You may originally have been asking the question in a "what's the deal with people holding on to the treadmill rails"....just to strike up a discussion. If you had a true interest in the 'why's', then no offense should be taken. But I suspect it was because of the overwhelming response OF the reasons why one might feel inclinded to hold on in the first place prompted you to rethink the original (what seemed like) a flippent question. If it wasn't, my apologies. But in conclusion....now you know some of the reasons. I appreciated you've outlined the responses for future reference. Now lets all get along nicely and use myfitness pal for what I thought was for support, ideas, etc. Mr. amadbro......no further comment to your responses. You keep on doing your own thing.
    ps - Im not a big fan of treadmills. I prefer running outdoors....even in this godforesaken -30 celcius weather. However, if i ever find the urge to jump on one, I'll try not to hold the rails:wink:

My intention was never to "offend" anyone. I was only stating facts..and those facts are that holding onto the rails is cheating. It cheats the lower back, it screws with spinal alignment and it burns fewer calories to name a few. There is no reason why someone should be holding onto the rails unless they suffer from a disability or impairment that prevents them from walking/running without it or are momentarily checking their HR. Get off your high horse and try looking into factual information/controlled studies instead of making excuses to do the minimum.

These should get you started

http://runneracademy.com/tips-for-successful-treadmill-running/
    "The rails and console are there to assist you in getting on and off the treadmill and as a source of stability to regain your balance while you are running should you lose your footing since falling would result in the moving belt throwing you backwards. Swing your arms just as you would outdoors. The treadmill is not a StairMaster!"

http://www.2ndwindexercise.com/don’t-hold-on-to-your-treadmill/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/423392-do-you-burn-more-fat-holding-onto-the-rails-on-a-treadmill-or-not/
    "The American College of Sports Medicine states in its guide to treadmill use that the only time you should use the handrails on the treadmill is when you are mounting the equipment or if you are about to fall."

http://m.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/running-and-walking-treadmill
    "If you can’t keep up with the treadmill without grabbing the handrails, you’re going too fast. Holding onto the handrails can throw off your stride and create a twisting motion, which can lead to injuries."

http://voices.yahoo.com/10-reasons-never-hold-onto-treadmill-383744.html

http://woman.thenest.com/advantages-treadmill-walking-holding-12468.html
  • californiabella
    Options
    didn't think this post was judgy at all. I read your blog too! Good read.

I admit, I used to be one of those folks who would hold onto the handrails of my treadmill even though I'm perfectly capable of walking and jogging on the damn thing au natural. I'd never hold onto it more than 10% of the time though...usually to keep up with the pace and keep my balance. But what I learned: if I can't keep up the pace and keep my balance without holding on to the hand rail, then I need to slow it down and pace myself. I don't think anyone should exert themselves more than they should if it means "cheating" their workout. Cuz like amadbro said, it does risk injury. I say to those who complain about comfort and balance issues or simply being afraid to fall off (not due to a disability), it's best to overcome that or gtfo the treadmill and start walking outside so you don't feel inclined to hold onto something simply for comfort. <-- now just waiting for the "not everyone gets the luxury of walking outside" comments... lol jokes!
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My intention was never to "offend" anyone. I was only stating facts..and those facts are that holding onto the rails is cheating. It cheats the lower back, it screws with spinal alignment and it burns fewer calories to name a few. There is no reason why someone should be holding onto the rails unless they suffer from a disability or impairment that prevents them from walking/running without it or are momentarily checking their HR. Get off your high horse and try looking into factual information/controlled studies instead of making excuses to do the minimum.

These should get you started

http://runneracademy.com/tips-for-successful-treadmill-running/
    "The rails and console are there to assist you in getting on and off the treadmill and as a source of stability to regain your balance while you are running should you lose your footing since falling would result in the moving belt throwing you backwards. Swing your arms just as you would outdoors. The treadmill is not a StairMaster!"

http://www.2ndwindexercise.com/don’t-hold-on-to-your-treadmill/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/423392-do-you-burn-more-fat-holding-onto-the-rails-on-a-treadmill-or-not/
    "The American College of Sports Medicine states in its guide to treadmill use that the only time you should use the handrails on the treadmill is when you are mounting the equipment or if you are about to fall."

http://m.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/running-and-walking-treadmill
    "If you can’t keep up with the treadmill without grabbing the handrails, you’re going too fast. Holding onto the handrails can throw off your stride and create a twisting motion, which can lead to injuries."

http://voices.yahoo.com/10-reasons-never-hold-onto-treadmill-383744.html

http://woman.thenest.com/advantages-treadmill-walking-holding-12468.html

Which burns more calories: a) walking on a treadmill while holding on or b) not walking? Pretty simple choice in my book. I pay the price if I get injured and I do what can do. Sorry if you think its not enough. The people that know me and care are thrilled that I have started an exercise program. No offense but their opinions mean more than yours.