Holding the handrails on treadmill?

Options

Replies

• tmaree2
    tmaree2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    what I don't understand is why people have to be so concerned about what others are doing...you are at the gym for your OWN workout. Not worrying about your own self is what got you to be needing to go to the gym in the first place!!!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    To those of you who believe that I only asked the question to lord it over those inferior handrail-holders, thanks for pointing out my motivations to me. I honestly believed that I wanted to know why some people hold on to the handrails with a death grip, but in fact I really just wanted to prove that I was superior to anyone who doesn't do it my way.

You're right, my puny 3 days a week in the gym for the past 8 months are clearly not enough for me to familiarize myself with a piece of equipment. I bow to your superior knowledge of both gym equipment and my own motivations.

It is simply unfathomable that I might want to know why someone does something that seems so unnatural when using a machine that seems to be designed to be used for a natural human activity. It's much more reasonable to assume that I am just some kind of a judgmental creep.

Also, you're right to suggest that I might not understand that someone could occasionally want to lightly grasp the handrails for balance or security. I'm obviously deluded into thinking that any such efforts are pretty much the same thing as a "death grip".

So thank you, thank you for pointing out the transparent cruelness in my original question. It's much appreciated. :wink:

Ask a question in a forum like this and you are bound to get a lot of sarcastic answers. Why don't you ask the person doing it? Maybe they don't know there is a better way to do it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    OP is extremely well informed about running and only wants to help people.

I think instead of focusing on whether or not the question is offensive, more people should be thinking about whether or not using the handrail is hampering their progress as a runner. For many, just slowing down enough is sufficient to no longer need to hold on.

Here are a few articles/studies on the topic:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/455192-does-it-matter-if-you-hold-on-while-on-a-treadmill/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/423392-do-you-burn-more-fat-holding-onto-the-rails-on-a-treadmill-or-not/
    http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm
    http://livehealthy.chron.com/correct-method-walking-treadmill-1419.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17135860
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10686571
    http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineFebruary2013_N_Dalton.pdf
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    To those of you who believe that I only asked the question to lord it over those inferior handrail-holders, thanks for pointing out my motivations to me. I honestly believed that I wanted to know why some people hold on to the handrails with a death grip, but in fact I really just wanted to prove that I was superior to anyone who doesn't do it my way.

You're right, my puny 3 days a week in the gym for the past 8 months are clearly not enough for me to familiarize myself with a piece of equipment. I bow to your superior knowledge of both gym equipment and my own motivations.

It is simply unfathomable that I might want to know why someone does something that seems so unnatural when using a machine that seems to be designed to be used for a natural human activity. It's much more reasonable to assume that I am just some kind of a judgmental creep.

Also, you're right to suggest that I might not understand that someone could occasionally want to lightly grasp the handrails for balance or security. I'm obviously deluded into thinking that any such efforts are pretty much the same thing as a "death grip".

So thank you, thank you for pointing out the transparent cruelness in my original question. It's much appreciated. :wink:
    Live and learn. Also, if you don't like sarcasm/mockery.....don't use it. It elicits more of the same.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Personally I hold on the side rails because of balance issues. I have a slight limp from a significantly shorter leg and I don't naturally walk in a straight line. When walking outside I swerve around a lot but obviously that would just get me injured on the treadmill so I just do what I need to to get my exercise. I try to hold on as lightly as possible to just keep me centered over the tread.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Those heart rate monitors take a lot of abuse and, at least in my gym, require constant pressure or you lose the heart rate and have to spend the next five minutes adjusting your grip so that it will find you. I wish they had a plug in port for a chest strap because, being 6'3, I have to adjust my walk in order to hold the bars. But again, that is only when I'm monitoring my heart rate or if I'm doing a pre-programmed set on the machine that requires it. I much prefer walking outside but finding people to walk with has proved difficult.

You could see if there are any trail walking or rambling groups near to you. They are great for finding a crowd of people to walk with. The group that I belong to regularly goes out for 10 to 15 mile walks at the weekend.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Wow! At the original post...

There could be alsorts of reasons for holding on to the handrails. For example:

I ended up with shin splints last year because I did too much, too hard, too fast. I am getting back to training but using the "dreadmill" to help me build the strength back up. If I feel one of the shins starting to 'pull' but don't want to stop then I will use the bars to take a little bit of the impact out of it. It still keeps the heart rate up but makes it easier on the shins....

Thanks for actually answering the question. I was curious if someone used it for this reason. I was certainly not intending to offend anyone -- I just honestly wanted to know.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've done this... i'm kinda glad to hear i'm not alone.
    Until i bought one a few weeks ago, i'd never been on a treadmill and so walking on one felt weird and i couldn't really keep balance.It was odd having the floor move beneath me, unatural. The more i got into it, the more i depended on it and had the "death grip" and every time i would catch myself doing it i would ease up. The past two weeks i've not been holding them at all, it felt strange at first and i was a bit wobbly but i quickly gained balance and now after i warm up i let go. I find i get a better workout not holding onto them for dear life. lol

Thanks for this explanation. I've been curious why people use a "death grip" when it seems like they could hold on lightly when it's only to help with balance.
  • Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Either way do what you want, you're cheating yourself and not receiving the full benefit of the exercise. It's supposed to be CHALLENGING hence why it's called EXERCISE.

I sooooo dont agree with you..
    In my humble opinion Exercise is about movement - doesnt have to be challenging.
    I think challenging exercise is called training

The word challenging has a different meaning to everyone - a 25KM cycle might be challenging for someone for someone else it is their warm up for a 95KM cycle..

As long as someone is moving they are challenging themselves and that is what matters doesnt it - not everyone is out there to train...some "just" want to exercise :)

live and let live :)

I just got up to go to the fridge for a bottle of water. I exercised.

Judge Judy??

So well said :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude, if you are not challenging yourself, your body, then no, you are not exercising. I remember a time when my back was in so much pain that just walking to the fridge was a huge exercise. Stop judging and smell the coffee. There is life around you and it is not always easy.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    what I don't understand is why people have to be so concerned about what others are doing...you are at the gym for your OWN workout. Not worrying about your own self is what got you to be needing to go to the gym in the first place!!!

This
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Seriously my take on this is this.... GOOD FOR THEM... If holding on handrails gets them on that treadmill and they are working out, good for them. Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't expect someone to come right in and be like... BISH you better not touch those handrails!! Let people ease into it. You have to remember some of these people are new to the gym and are probably not in the most comfortable situation for them. Starting out with the health level of not doing it, even with handrail grabbing they are probably getting an exercise. Is it optimal, no, but you have to start somewhere. You don't start by running 5ks.

So to all you handrailer grabbers and the people that love them.. Grip on.... Grip on!!!
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Seriously my take on this is this.... GOOD FOR THEM... If holding on handrails gets them on that treadmill and they are working out, good for them. Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't expect someone to come right in and be like... BISH you better not touch those handrails!! Let people ease into it. You have to remember some of these people are new to the gym and are probably not in the most comfortable situation for them. Starting out with the health level of not doing it, even with handrail grabbing they are probably getting an exercise. Is it optimal, no, but you have to start somewhere. You don't start by running 5ks.

So to all you handrailer grabbers and the people that love them.. Grip on.... Grip on!!!

My thoughts exactly! Well said.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    At least they are getting off their *kitten* and doing something, but I don't touch mine unless I have it on a good incline...30-40%
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    So, I've noticed a few runners / walkers at the gym who constantly hold the handrails or the "handlebars" on the treadmill as they workout. Some of them seem to be hanging on with almost a death grip. Others seem to be bearing weight using the handrails. I'm talking about doing this constantly for a 20-30 minute workout.

Honest question: Why would you do this?

Yeah, I know what you are talking about.... also the ones on the stair stepper but mostly holding up their weight by the handles or the ones on the stair master but only pick up their feet a few inches and going really fast. This is equal to the guys on the gym floor that are benching that 225 or squatting 405 in the Smith Machine but only doing 1/4 squats. Just too much to handle... just one is with weight, the other cardio. Now I will say I am going to guess that some have balance issues but the majority I will guess has too much load.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Is that where the sensors for the heart rate monitor are? I've seen people keep their hands on when they are trying to stay within a particular HR zone.
    That's a possibility, but it doesn't explain the death grip. Same for those suggesting "balance." I'm afraid I will probably never understand treadmills. I'm planning on a run in the dark, in 7-degree-fahrenheit temps tomorrow.
    Those heart rate monitors take a lot of abuse and, at least in my gym, require constant pressure or you lose the heart rate and have to spend the next five minutes adjusting your grip so that it will find you. I wish they had a plug in port for a chest strap because, being 6'3, I have to adjust my walk in order to hold the bars. But again, that is only when I'm monitoring my heart rate or if I'm doing a pre-programmed set on the machine that requires it. I much prefer walking outside but finding people to walk with has proved difficult.

Most commercial treadmills have sensors built into the console that will capture the signal from a Polar-compatible chest strap and display heart rate on the console, or use that heart rate for any HR interactive programs. If you have a Polar-compatible chest strap, you should not have to hold the sensors.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've not read all the answers on here because there's a lot and I'm too lazy, but I used to hold on, then I read that if you hold on then your calorie burn will not be as accurate so I simply turned the incline to a level where I could climb without holding on. More honest that way.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm usually so focused on my workout that I don't notice what other people are doing. And, if I did, I really don't care. They aren't sitting on the couch with a box of oreo's, Good for them!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier?

Even easier would be to not run on a treadmill at all!

Seriously, though, it just doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't want to use the treadmill the same way you run / walk. Is there a legitimate reason to be doing this?
    Yes. If you want to try a little walking but have a problem. In my case, knee arthritis. I would love to be able to walk normally, but I can't. So every once in a while I use the treadmill for 10 minutes, but I hold on with the death grip. Everybody's different.
  • Cjbiobaby
    Cjbiobaby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    when i used to work out at the Y i used the handrails for balance. they tell you NOT to use them to hold you up or use a continuous grip on them. think about when you walk normally, some people walk with walking poles too. your arms go side to side, so why would someone hold them in one place on the treadmill handles. youre not getting your full potential of exercise if you are bearing weight on the rails......