Holding the handrails on treadmill?

Options

Replies

• JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They gotta start some where! Might be a trust issue with the machines too..
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Is that where the sensors for the heart rate monitor are? I've seen people keep their hands on when they are trying to stay within a particular HR zone.
    That's a possibility, but it doesn't explain the death grip. Same for those suggesting "balance." I'm afraid I will probably never understand treadmills. I'm planning on a run in the dark, in 7-degree-fahrenheit temps tomorrow.

7 degrees fahrenheit huh? Wow, it's warm where you live. I'd be outside too.
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The reason I do it is because it keeps track of your heart rate. If they are holding it and there is metal under their hands that is probably what is going on.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I hold on! I'm very unbalanced and terrified of falling off the treadmill lol I never even thought about it bothering anyone.

Well apparently you and I are annoying the OP and we need to stop it lol. Guess we should just fall on our faces and suck it up. :D
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I got a treadmill, when I started using it, at first I held on to the handrails until the got the feel of it, and got used to the pace. After that I let go, I'm doing C25K on it, (started today). The C25K plan requires things like jogging for 60 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds, and continuing to alternate throughout the workout... I hold on with one hand while I change the speed up or down until I adjust to the new pace again because I don't want to lose my balance and fall.

The whole reason I am using the treadmill instead of doing this outside is because I have a bad ankle and foot and need a level surface to run on, my foot and ankle can handle running, but they can't handle stepping in potholes, tripping over rocks, slipping on ice or mud, or any other common hazard on the trails near my house. The treadmill is safer for me right now, until I've lost more weight and have become conditioned to the running, and to keep it safer, anytime I feel like I could possibly lose my balance, I either hold on or at least let my hands "hover" over the rails so I can grab on if I need to.

Some people have balance issues, or an unsteady gate, some may see the handrails and assume that they are there because you are supposed to hold on to them.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's easier. If you feel you need to do that though, you should reduce something- speed, incline, what ever- it's better to swing your arms...
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well I am probably going to be hated for saying this but I do that. I dont bear weight on the rails but I do hold on the majority of the time. I have weak ankles, really weak ankles that pop while I walk so I just dont want to fall on my *kitten* in front of everyone. I fall enough all the other times and have the bruises to prove it, elliptical I am fine, but anything I have to actually move the placement of my feet, yeah all bad
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have balance/sense issues. Personally I should be the one moving- not the floor. The lack of control scares me but sometimes it's the only thing open.

It isn't a balance thing that slowing down will help. Endmondo and runkeeper have tracked me going faster outside.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I sometimes place one hand on the treadmill for balance when I'm running. I'm not holding on to it, not placing any weight through it, just steadying myself. Why? Because I have an ongoing muscle injury in my shoulder and neck that pinches a nerve and effects my balance. Some days it's not bad and I run without touching the treadmill. Some days it's worse and I kind of want to make sure that I don't fall. My PT at the gym actually told me to use the railing to steady myself when I need to.

To answer the question of why I run - because I'm actually quite fit. I can't get my HR up high enough if I just walk on the treadmill, even walking very fast, and I can't put on a steep incline because I can't keep my balance without holding on to it. Actually holding onto the treadmill then aggravates my injury. I have limited choice for cardio because of this stupid injury, and running is pretty much my best option. That, and stationary bike, which I also use. I do run outside sometimes, but it's summer here in Australia and gets very hot. It's also school holidays until the end of this month and there's a safety factor if I run outside in the evenings by myself when I don't have kids to look after.

It might look silly if people are holding on, but I assume that there's a reason for it rather than judge how anybody does their cardio.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use the treadmill after I lift as my 'cool down' or to finish fatiguing my legs.

Sometimes, I hold onto the handrails and hold up some of my bodyweight to stretch.

Sometimes I'll have the treadmill going REALLY slow and take great big strides, almost like lunges to stretch.

I don't care about the calorie burn or if you think I'm going to slow or holding on or even if you think I look stupid.

Maybe I do it just to annoy you.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I use them just because I don't know what to do with my hands/arms... I'm not really "holding on", just resting my hands on them. I run so far up on the tread that if I swing my arms, I whack my hands on the railings and hurt myself. I've tried running further back on the tread, but then I feel like I'm going to fly off the back.

To each their own.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I fell once...wasn't fun. FuNNY, yes. Fun...not so much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I sense the OP is feeling superior to those who use the treadmill, as opposed to his running in the dark in cold weather. Seriously there could be any number of reasons to hold the bars on the treadmill from safety to comfort, from balance to joint issues, to just because it's there.

(not sarcasm) I really hope the OP never has any of the health and/or age issues that would ever make him hold onto the bars himself, may he be forever young and healthy.

exactly . i've used the handrails because i was recovering from a sprained ankle and didnt want to walk with a cane and wasnt able to get to a pool.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, I've noticed a few runners / walkers at the gym who constantly hold the handrails or the "handlebars" on the treadmill as they workout. Some of them seem to be hanging on with almost a death grip. Others seem to be bearing weight using the handrails. I'm talking about doing this constantly for a 20-30 minute workout.

Honest question: Why would you do this?

They're at the gym doing their thing, so who cares how they do it? As long as they're not hurting themselves or hurting someone else, it doesn't matter.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Handrails arn't designed to be held throughout a workout. They are there for safety. Use them and you're cheating yourself.

Yes, up to a 25% reduction in your workout benefits (source Goodlife gym posters)
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ok I have to ask.... Why do you care?
    I'd venture to say he cares because he is a distance runner, and majority of his thoughts revolve around how to be a better runner. While running, he probably noticed a few people doing this. Because he does not regularly workout at a gym/on a treadmill he was/is actually curious as to why some people choose to hold the railings. For someone who runs/walks outside 300+ days a year, it is a bit strange to see someone running and hanging onto a machine. He's probably just wondering why as it's something he knows nothing about.
    I guess I am just one of those people that goes to the gym to work out and really don't pay attention to other people. (except when they don't wipe down machines after they are done!!)
    :-)

The day you'll do 6 miles and + on a dreadmill because you can't run outside as you usually do, you'll get SO bored that you'll watch other people around as there is nothing better to do!

People grip the bars for 30 minutes then say they burned 300 calories doing their workout and eat those calories back then wonder why they don't lose weight... (It's because you didn't had a real 300 calories workout lady!)...

I wondered if there was a reason for it too.. I learned by watching them there isn't...

Guess I am not there yet...I only did 5.75 on the dreadmill today...oh yeah, that's right...I was the only one in gym! ;-(
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    umm any number of reasons. At least they're trying :grumble:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Handrails arn't designed to be held throughout a workout. They are there for safety. Use them and you're cheating yourself.

Yes, up to a 25% reduction in your workout benefits (source Goodlife gym posters)

1243418448_dwayne-the-rock-johnson.gif
  • tracywintn
    Options

Even if I am getting 25% less of a workout by resting my hands on the rails
    it's 75% more than if I stayed at home and sat on the couch. According to my math calculations that's not cheating myself AT ALL!!! Yay to all of us who are getting out and TRYING!!!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    They are cheating on the exercise. The only time I've needed to support myself is when I trying to change the speed from 9 (sprint for me) to 4 (fast walk) when doing HIIT training.