Holding the handrails on treadmill?

Options

Replies

• RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I see a girl hanging onto the back of the machine, hunched over like if she lets go she will actually die. Handrails would be an improvement! I think it is just because they are there, and people feel the need to hold hem. When you walk outside the ground is not moving at 5 MPH under your feet, unless you live in an area with extra gravitational pull LOL. People see and feel the movement and think they will fall so they hold on. I used to do the same, now I don't need to. You actually burn more if you swing your arms as you normally would do holding on is not ideal.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I would do this. My balance felt off. I probably had a death grip on there as well w/out realizing it. Once I became more confident I let go.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have balance issues while walking on a treadmill. I've found that if I am watching a television show, I am able to walk without using the hand rails as much - although I do still sometimes need to "rebalance" by touching the rail. :)
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I zone out easily and actually have fallen off when treadmill stopped and I didn't You are still getting a good workout if not a death grip it helps keep me focused and I know that sounds weird but it works I am on incline or hills for programs. We have checked ot with heart monitor difference was under 50 calories for an hour so how can that be cheating really if it keeps you safe?
    We all adapt to our own needs from age ears aches weaknesses etc adapting and doing is what matters not anything else just keep going.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I held on a bit when I first started, the balance felt different than normal movement. Now I pump my arms, keeping pace with my feet. If I want shorter steps, I pump my arms faster, my feet follow. It takes practice for some of us.
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    they are there to hold right?
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ok I have to ask.... Why do you care? Are you afraid they are going to take the rails home with them? Some use for balance, some because they want to.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I use them when I'm at a 15% incline going 3.5 mph. I'm terribly sorry if that bothers you. :flowerforyou:
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Perhaps none of these people have ever walked or ran outside for exercise. Step on a stair master and try not to hold onto the handles. It's very challenging- for me. Some of these people may have the same experience on a treadmill. It might be to challenging to not hold on... These people are most likely gym workouters. They probably aren't trying to run a 1/2 marathon or anything lol..
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They're working on their grip so they can do monkeybars.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ok I have to ask.... Why do you care?
    I'd venture to say he cares because he is a distance runner, and majority of his thoughts revolve around how to be a better runner. While running, he probably noticed a few people doing this. Because he does not regularly workout at a gym/on a treadmill he was/is actually curious as to why some people choose to hold the railings. For someone who runs/walks outside 300+ days a year, it is a bit strange to see someone running and hanging onto a machine. He's probably just wondering why as it's something he knows nothing about.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    There's a guy at work that does this. He holds on for dear life while attempting to sustain 9 MPH. His gait is so messed up, and his feet hit the deck so heavily and unevenly that it seriously hurts to watch. And he's gasping for air the whole time. It's something you'd see on youtube with about 2 million views.

I'd love to say something to him, but I'm not the type to offer unsolicited advice.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    How about let people work out how they want to and mind your own business? Walking and hanging on is better than sitting on the sofa watching TV.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'd venture to say he cares because he is a distance runner, and majority of his thoughts revolve around how to be a better runner. While running, he probably noticed a few people doing this. Because he does not regularly workout at a gym/on a treadmill he was/is actually curious as to why some people choose to hold the railings. For someone who runs/walks outside 300+ days a year, it is a bit strange to see someone running and hanging onto a machine. He's probably just wondering why as it's something he knows nothing about.
    I guess I am just one of those people that goes to the gym to work out and really don't pay attention to other people. (except when they don't wipe down machines after they are done!!)
    :-)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just one of those people that goes to the gym to work out and really don't pay attention to other people. (except when they don't wipe down machines after they are done!!)
    :-)

The day you'll do 6 miles and + on a dreadmill because you can't run outside as you usually do, you'll get SO bored that you'll watch other people around as there is nothing better to do!

People grip the bars for 30 minutes then say they burned 300 calories doing their workout and eat those calories back then wonder why they don't lose weight... (It's because you didn't had a real 300 calories workout lady!)...

I wondered if there was a reason for it too.. I learned by watching them there isn't...
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So, I've noticed a few runners / walkers at the gym who constantly hold the handrails or the "handlebars" on the treadmill as they workout. Some of them seem to be hanging on with almost a death grip. Others seem to be bearing weight using the handrails. I'm talking about doing this constantly for a 20-30 minute workout.

Honest question: Why would you do this?

I saw this the other day and wondered what this person was doing. I get the fear factor of a treadmill, but going that slow there really isn't much concern about getting hurt.

And really, I live in FLA so don't get the treadmill anyway. Get out the door and out on the roads people. Treadmills are lame.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a balance issue which flairs up now and then so most of the time I don't need the rail but sometimes I do, sometimes I just need to touch it for a second to get my balance back on check and sometimes I hold it to see what my heart rate is. I see a lot of older people holding on to the rail, I see a lot of new people hold onto the rails because it does take some time to get your balance right on them. Whatever reason people have for holding them is quite irrelevant in the big scheme of things, they're all exercising which is the most important.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I do this as I have balance issues - I have swimmer's ear and a couple of MS related signs (not strong enough to be classified as MS so far - thank God)

Holding onto the handrail by one hand (I only hold on with my right) helps me find my centre of gravity and balance.

I dont think I have a deathgrip on them and I definately not doing this as weight-bearing - more just to hold for a few minutes-not the whole session just when I feel I no longer have my balance or paying attention to other things (such as the newscast I am watching)..unfortulnately my brain cannot handle balancing at the same time of doing something else so I need something to hold onto. I also hold the rails when going downstairs on a staircase - any staircase even if it is only 4-5steps.

Same for me. I have to hold on or I trip and fall easily. I do have MS and it is a battle for me to keep moving as it is let alone walk or run on something that moves under me. I don't dare walk onto a dock or anything without rails that is narrow or not steady or I fall easily. I suggest you do your thing and let others do theirs. How do you know they don't have a hip or leg problem causing them to hold on or distribute their weight a little bit?
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid of falling, slow down! You are going to burn more calories if you keep your arms moving too. You are only cheating yourself!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I sense the OP is feeling superior to those who use the treadmill, as opposed to his running in the dark in cold weather. Seriously there could be any number of reasons to hold the bars on the treadmill from safety to comfort, from balance to joint issues, to just because it's there.

(not sarcasm) I really hope the OP never has any of the health and/or age issues that would ever make him hold onto the bars himself, may he be forever young and healthy.