Options

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    "Why do you care?"
    "Why are you worried about what other people do?"
    "Why don't you mind your own business?"

I care because maybe I can learn something from what others do. i apologize if I have offended anyone with my questions; I was asking because I was hoping to learn something. You are certainly not obligated to reply.

This is a long thread, but I do think I've learned some things from it, so thanks to the people who responded to my actual question.

In case you came here for information and would like a summary of what I've learned, here it is:

It appears that there are several reasons someone might want to hang on very tightly either to the handrails or the handles at the front of the treadmill:

1. They are new to the treadmill and are scared / intimidated by it. Often these people eventually learn to use the treadmill without hanging on tightly.

2. They suffer from dizziness / vertigo / fainting and are hanging on for safety. (One suggestion if you are in this camp: Make sure you also use the magnetic safety harness that is on every treadmill. This will automatically stop the machine if you fall. I don't think I've ever seen anyone using this at the gym).

3. They have a disability that prevents them from being able to use the treadmill without hanging on tightly (I don't think I've seen anyone at my gym who falls into this category, but it's great to hear about people who are disabled and still working out!)

4. They have an injury and are using the handrails to reduce the impact of the workout. (I'm a little skeptical of this approach because there are some workouts that are specifically designed to be low impact, such as ellipticals, water running, or swimming. These would probably be more effective and less likely to lead to injury. But as others have said, it's not for me to judge whether you're doing the best workout for you).

5. They want to use the treadmill's heart rate monitor and grabbing on tightly is the only way the thing works. (I'd suggest getting your own HRM instead. You will run / walk with better form, get a better workout, and be more likely to stay injury-free.)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    tl:dr

why do you care?

i personally run outside, so I thankfully do not need to criticize those who choose to run at the gym.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    They like to waste their time on their workout, is my only conclusion

^What an ignorant thing to say. ^
    A workout of any kind is better than no workout at all. Plain and simple.

I never felt the OP was trying to be crude, I think it was an honest question. He got his answers. So be it.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with balance and I use the side rails to keep from falling off. My feet have slipped off the conveyer belt several times and I looked like a real idiot trying to recover from that.
  • Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "Why do you care?"
    "Why are you worried about what other people do?"
    "Why don't you mind your own business?"

I care because maybe I can learn something from what others do. i apologize if I have offended anyone with my questions; I was asking because I was hoping to learn something. You are certainly not obligated to reply.

This is a long thread, but I do think I've learned some things from it, so thanks to the people who responded to my actual question.

In case you came here for information and would like a summary of what I've learned, here it is:

It appears that there are several reasons someone might want to hang on very tightly either to the handrails or the handles at the front of the treadmill:

1. They are new to the treadmill and are scared / intimidated by it. Often these people eventually learn to use the treadmill without hanging on tightly.

2. They suffer from dizziness / vertigo / fainting and are hanging on for safety. (One suggestion if you are in this camp: Make sure you also use the magnetic safety harness that is on every treadmill. This will automatically stop the machine if you fall. I don't think I've ever seen anyone using this at the gym).

3. They have a disability that prevents them from being able to use the treadmill without hanging on tightly (I don't think I've seen anyone at my gym who falls into this category, but it's great to hear about people who are disabled and still working out!)

4. They have an injury and are using the handrails to reduce the impact of the workout. (I'm a little skeptical of this approach because there are some workouts that are specifically designed to be low impact, such as ellipticals, water running, or swimming. These would probably be more effective and less likely to lead to injury. But as others have said, it's not for me to judge whether you're doing the best workout for you).

5. They want to use the treadmill's heart rate monitor and grabbing on tightly is the only way the thing works. (I'd suggest getting your own HRM instead. You will run / walk with better form, get a better workout, and be more likely to stay injury-free.)

Thanks Dave!!! It is nice to know that this tread has had a positive impact on someone. I use to be a gymnast and a dancer in my teens before having the car accident that caused my deficiencies. I miss the atheltic body I use to have and the ability it had to move around so freely.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Mostly because they are not as cool as you are. It could also be that they have balance issues or joint problems or they can reach their target HR while doing so.

The bigger question is why do you care?

I don't care when someone is using the handrails for balance--in fact, for many clients I insist on it for their own comfort and safety.

I do care when I have to spend money to repair the console or the TV that some doofus has damaged by hanging on when he insists on walking like Frankenstein at 4.5 mph and 15% elevation.

It also becomes my concern when someone comes to me and complains that they are not losing weight even though they are burning this huge amount of calories walking on the treadmill--and they are only burning 1/2 that because they are hanging on to the handrails.

Just a couple of examples of the different issues involved in this topic.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier?

This.
  • Missou
    Options
    They like to waste their time on their workout, is my only conclusion

^What an ignorant thing to say. ^
    A workout of any kind is better than no workout at all. Plain and simple.

I never felt the OP was trying to be crude, I think it was an honest question. He got his answers. So be it.

Some people are so quick to judge even when they have the facts written in big letters in front of them. The op wanted to learn from this tread and he sure did. As for the others, I guess they are blinded by their sanctomonious truth.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To those of you who believe that I only asked the question to lord it over those inferior handrail-holders, thanks for pointing out my motivations to me. I honestly believed that I wanted to know why some people hold on to the handrails with a death grip, but in fact I really just wanted to prove that I was superior to anyone who doesn't do it my way.

You're right, my puny 3 days a week in the gym for the past 8 months are clearly not enough for me to familiarize myself with a piece of equipment. I bow to your superior knowledge of both gym equipment and my own motivations.

It is simply unfathomable that I might want to know why someone does something that seems so unnatural when using a machine that seems to be designed to be used for a natural human activity. It's much more reasonable to assume that I am just some kind of a judgmental creep.

Also, you're right to suggest that I might not understand that someone could occasionally want to lightly grasp the handrails for balance or security. I'm obviously deluded into thinking that any such efforts are pretty much the same thing as a "death grip".

So thank you, thank you for pointing out the transparent cruelness in my original question. It's much appreciated. :wink:

Well since it's just curiosity and not judging, I'm one of those hanger oner's and here's why I do it - I usually walk between a 10% and 15% incline and between 3.5 to 3.7, depending on how I feel that day, I watch TV while I'm walking and yes, I'm holding on for dear life or I will fall off because I don't want to put the effort in to walk without the support. It is not necessarily my "workout" I just like to walk sometimes when I'm done doing other stuff at the gym. It's actually "my time" really. The treadmill work I do is after I lift or do one of the core classes at my gym and I like to just walk for 20 minutes to a half hour depending on my mood and my time. I know some people are like - well turn it down so you don't have to hold on or you're not getting your full workout in and I say to them - I don't give a *kitten*. I do a lot of other stuff that they have no clue about. I'm sure I get judged and I don't really care because I do it for my own reasons and not necessarily for calorie burn. And there's my answer for your curiosity.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To those of you who believe that I only asked the question to lord it over those inferior handrail-holders, thanks for pointing out my motivations to me. I honestly believed that I wanted to know why some people hold on to the handrails with a death grip, but in fact I really just wanted to prove that I was superior to anyone who doesn't do it my way.

You're right, my puny 3 days a week in the gym for the past 8 months are clearly not enough for me to familiarize myself with a piece of equipment. I bow to your superior knowledge of both gym equipment and my own motivations.

It is simply unfathomable that I might want to know why someone does something that seems so unnatural when using a machine that seems to be designed to be used for a natural human activity. It's much more reasonable to assume that I am just some kind of a judgmental creep.

Also, you're right to suggest that I might not understand that someone could occasionally want to lightly grasp the handrails for balance or security. I'm obviously deluded into thinking that any such efforts are pretty much the same thing as a "death grip".

So thank you, thank you for pointing out the transparent cruelness in my original question. It's much appreciated. :wink:

Well since it's just curiosity and not judging, I'm one of those hanger oner's and here's why I do it - I usually walk between a 10% and 15% incline and between 3.5 to 3.7, depending on how I feel that day, I watch TV while I'm walking and yes, I'm holding on for dear life or I will fall off because I don't want to put the effort in to walk without the support. It is not necessarily my "workout" I just like to walk sometimes when I'm done doing other stuff at the gym. It's actually "my time" really. The treadmill work I do is after I lift or do one of the core classes at my gym and I like to just walk for 20 minutes to a half hour depending on my mood and my time. I know some people are like - well turn it down so you don't have to hold on or you're not getting your full workout in and I say to them - I don't give a *kitten*. I do a lot of other stuff that they have no clue about. I'm sure I get judged and I don't really care because I do it for my own reasons and not necessarily for calorie burn. And there's my answer for your curiosity.

Why not walk at the same pace with little or no incline, without holding on then? You will probably burn the same amount of calories, though the machine will tell you you burned less.

So why what are your reasons for walking at an incline with holding on? I am actually curious why, since you said you had your own reasons, just not sure what they would be.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Why not walk at the same pace with little or no incline, without holding on then? You will probably burn the same amount of calories, though the machine will tell you you burned less.

So why walk at the incline if you have to hold on then? I am actually curious why, since you aren't getting a better workout than no holding on with lower incline.

That is a fair question and not sure I can come up with something totally logical, but here goes. I like the incline and the fast pace, I can walk "hard" still, if that makes sense, but if I let go, I have to put a lot more effort into it and I don't want to put more effort into it, don't really have a reason except I am usually watching shows that make me laugh (yes out loud) and I can totally zone out, if you will. I don't want to concentrate on my workout at this point. I know that prob sounds like dafaq, but that is why I like to walk on the incline and fairly fast while holding on for dear life.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Dave.

BTW, I didn't think your original post was snarky or rude. But quite a few people jumped in with some really inconsiderate, insulting comments/observations.

I would add that not all disabilities are visible. For example, you can't "see" the herniated and bulging disks in my lower back; you can't "see" that I have almost no cartilage remaining in my left knee. Most of the time, I wear long pants instead of shorts; therefore, you wouldn't see the scars from knee surgery that I have.

I'm sure there are other folks who have "invisible" injuries and/or disabilities. At one point, it was bad enough that I was training a service dog. Happily, I no longer own/need a wheelchair, I'm not on crutches anymore, but I am (sometimes painfully) aware that a re-injury could set me on a downward spiral. If I get only 50 or 60 or 70% of the potential maximum benefit of an exercise, that's okay. It's better than not doing anything at all. Swimming might be better in some respects than walking, but I'm also a 50+ female, so I know that I need to include some weight-bearing exercise to help keep strong bones.

That's one of the reasons I walk sometimes, rather than swim.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There sure is a lot of people feeling judged here... haha !
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This topic brings the LOL every year.

'til next January. :drinker:

And to all those that say "pay attention to your own workout", sometimes in the cardio areas you're working out 12-18 inches apart....you're gonna notice what the person next to you is doing once in a while....just typ'n though.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hey Adambro.....good for you for being soooo into your own physical well being (said with tongue in cheek). Now if I were you I'd start working on your compassion and sensitivity. I think your down a "pint."
    I

+1000
  • Missou
    Options
    As I said before, I cannot run do to my disability. To work my cardiovascular system, I use the inclinations. By doing so, I work my cardio, my legs and at the end of a 30 minutes trail going uphill, I am dripping with sweat. Am I cheating by holding on to the handrails? Maybe but I am still working hard enough to need a shower at the end.

Jstjean84, you say that there are a lot of people who feel judged here. I saw someone who wanted to learn and others who didn't. I don't feel judged, I feel sorry for some who participated in this discussion. Life isn't always fair and you do not need to be in a wheelchair to have multiple handicaps. Some are invisible; mine are.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As I said before, I cannot run do to my disability. To work my cardiovascular system, I use the inclinations. By doing so, I work my cardio, my legs and at the end of a 30 minutes trail going uphill, I am dripping with sweat. Am I cheating by holding on to the handrails? Maybe but I am still working hard enough to need a shower at the end.

Jstjean84, you say that there are a lot of people who feel judged here. I saw someone who wanted to learn and others who didn't. I don't feel judged, I feel sorry for some who participated in this discussion. Life isn't always fair and you do not need to be in a wheelchair to have multiple handicaps. Some are invisible; mine are.

90% of the people who responded here told the OP to mind is own workout or something similar.... 90% of the population does NOT have an handicap.... Those people responded by "attacking" the OP mostly because they are feeling judged yes and feel they need to justify their holding the handrails... Instead of telling the OP to mind his own business they should "mind theirs" if they can't answer the OP questions, which were honests and not judgy!

You gave a real and honest answer, so I'm obviously not pointing fingers at you here! :)

(And yes I am bored, and have nothing else to do to pass time other than commenting on this tread haha!)
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Davemunger.......I don't think you offended as much as what's his face (amadbro or whatever his 'handle' was). You may originally have been asking the question in a "what's the deal with people holding on to the treadmill rails"....just to strike up a discussion. If you had a true interest in the 'why's', then no offense should be taken. But I suspect it was because of the overwhelming response OF the reasons why one might feel inclinded to hold on in the first place prompted you to rethink the original (what seemed like) a flippent question. If it wasn't, my apologies. But in conclusion....now you know some of the reasons. I appreciated you've outlined the responses for future reference. Now lets all get along nicely and use myfitness pal for what I thought was for support, ideas, etc. Mr. amadbro......no further comment to your responses. You keep on doing your own thing.
    ps - Im not a big fan of treadmills. I prefer running outdoors....even in this godforesaken -30 celcius weather. However, if i ever find the urge to jump on one, I'll try not to hold the rails:wink:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    dammed when you do, dammed when you dont

Im over 55 , I enjoy the tread mill and I hold on for balance, and I use it for 65 minutes which only helps with my cardio and has taken off tremendous weight

I dont look, dont judge others when they lift or use the cardio........seems people need to mind their work outs and support anyone who walks into a gym and takes matters into their own hands, knowing their full capabilities.............

OP, it worked for me, now get a life.....
  • Missou
    Options

90% of the people who responded here told the OP to mind is own workout or something similar.... 90% of the population does NOT have an handicap.... Those people responded by "attacking" the OP mostly because they are feeling judged yes and feel they need to justify their holding the handrails... Instead of telling the OP to mind his own business they should "mind theirs" if they can't answer the OP questions, which were honests and not judgy!

You gave a real and honest answer, so I'm obviously not pointing fingers at you here! :)

(And yes I am bored, and have nothing else to do to pass time other than commenting on this tread haha!)

I agree that a lot of people seem to have been offended by the original question and I appreciate the fact that Dave responded to his question by summarizing what he had learned. I totally was offended by some responses though, Mr. Adambro really needs to take a good look in the mirror and learn how to be compassionate. Should I get a life and mind my own business, maybe but it is also a lot of fun to participate in such a discussion. I too get bored sometimes :wink: :laugh: