Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that it bothers some people..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Nope, not bothered by it at all.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that it bothers some people..

I'm bothered that you're bothered that it bothers some people.

As for this guy and what he eats? Nope, not at all bothered.

ETA: Probably because my own food diary isn't much better than a bunch of McDonald's.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

No. Caloric deficit always wins.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I would hope that in the future the MFP community would be a little less judgmental, given the circumstances.

:huh:

So we need to be less judgmental be being more annoyed with what other people eat?
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The OP is just quoting the title of the article.

I the the Slate article writer is really judgmental, and seems to be missing the point of the diet.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I would hope that in the future the MFP community would be a little less judgmental, given the circumstances.

giphy.gif
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm not bothered, but I'm not indifferent. Although the teacher did not intend to set a bad example, I think this a bad example for any reader/viewer. While McDonald's does offer oatmeal, salad, etc., the connotation of Big Macs, fries, and hashbrowns will be primarily evoked.

Many of the above posters are entitled to their opinions, as is the original poster of this particular topic.

Please elaborate on the circumstances.
  • Daniellelearnstolikesalad
    Options
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/05/teacher-loses-37-pounds-after-three-month-mcdonalds-diet/?iid=nf-article-trend-now

"Cisna enlisted his students to help him plan out a 2,000-calorie daily diet plan consisting only of food sold by the fast food giant. They also tried not to exceed recommended allowances of nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, fat calories and cholesterol.

“It’s our choices that make us fat,” Cisna told KCCI. ”Not McDonald’s.”

Calorific deficit is always going to win. I appreciate that he's teaching his students that its your choices that matter, and theres always a way to make good food choices even when you don't have many options.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wait. So in the future we should be less judgmental of the OP, but more judgmental of what other people eat?

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Wait. So in the future we should be less judgmental of the OP, but more judgmental of what other people eat?

A very wise woman once said something very similar.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am incredibly bothered by the fact that Slate has turned into a bunch of trolls from top to bottom.
  • njself0713
    njself0713 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    McDonald's has made great strides in offering healthier food choices. His students probably learned a lot more than my kids - their teacher told them McDonald's was terrible and they should never eat there. I have 4 teenagers, and it is a given fact that very few teens will completely give up fast food. This exercise would at least raise their awareness of the "value" of the choices they make when eating fast food at establishments such as McDonald's. After all, if they are planning a 2000 calorie diet with 3 meals a day, they aren't going to put many 750 calorie Double Quarter Pounders on there.

I think everyone agrees that a <insert fast food restaurant> diet is not nutritionally or financially optimal. But these stories do show that losing weight is possible and the choices we make have more to do with our weight problem than whatever excuses we are making. And maybe some people who never wanted to give up these indulgences will realize they can have them and still become healthier.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

So we need to be less judgmental be being more annoyed with what other people eat?

No, not at all. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If the OP is bothered by a certain article that is going viral, so be it. This topic should incite controversy. However, many of the responses are just rude.

Who is being rude? What somebody else is eating shouldn't outrage anyone, unless it's like babies or something.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If he had remained overweight and did nothing about it, wouldnt that be worse?

He did it to teach a lesson that many MANY people still need to learn. It is not the source of the food that makes you fat. It is eating too many calories.

People like having a Boogey Man to blame for their problems whether its fat, carbs, sugar, fast food, corporations, advertisers or what have you.

I think his experiment has great value and he should be thanked not condemned.

The people that are the most upset are the ones that lost one of their excuses.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

A very wise woman once said something very similar.

Egads!

Get out of my brain, woman...

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I think it is a fantastic example. I used to believe that a person had to eat 'clean' and deprive themselves of everything delicious if they wanted to lose weight. Now, by following the examples of people like this teacher, and many successful MFP users, (some on this very thread) I know I can have the foods I love (in moderation) and still lose weight. With this knowledge, I was able to make a sustainable plan and stick with it, with no more yoyo dieting. :drinker:

Edited for bracketing issues, :laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm not bothered, but I'm not indifferent. Although the teacher did not intend to set a bad example, I think this a bad example for any reader/viewer. While McDonald's does offer oatmeal, salad, etc., the connotation of Big Macs, fries, and hashbrowns will be primarily evoked.

Many of the above posters are entitled to their opinions, as is the original poster of this particular topic.

Please elaborate on the circumstances.

Of course. Myfitnesspal is supposed to be a community. Each of us have goals--to lose weight, to gain weight, to gain muscle, to improve our health, etc. It is with the support of the community and of our friends that are we motivated to see our true potential and to make better choices. If a user posts a topic, it should be with the comfort that he/she will not be criticized for their opinion. We are all confiding in each other, and in a sense, we are making ourselves vulnerable to each other. I am not saying it is another person's duty to sugarcoat anything, but making posts such as a picture of ridicule that read "stop whining" (among other insulting phrases and remarks) is just insensitive.

I respect that opinion. But, on the other hand, this particular thread is on a subject that is bound to be divisive- and I would argue that it was posted with the intention of creating a flame thread.

If this were a thread where someone was expressing that they need help with some sensitive situation, I think you would find the responses to be a lot more supportive, on the whole. There will always be a few people who post obnoxious things on every thread, but it's a free website and everyone is truly not here for the same reason.