Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I posted about this yesterday: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1165438-lose-35-lbs-eating-only-mcdonald-s

"Science teacher lost 35 pounds in 90 days eating ONLY at McDonald's. This interesting video points out what we all know on here - you can lose weight if you stay within certain caloric and nutritional guidelines (even if what you're eating is from McDonald's). It's all about the choices we make!

This guy stayed under 2,000 calories a day and chose options that were as close to daily recommended amounts of carbs, fats, and protein as possible. No, he didn't only eat dry salads - he had burgers, fries, ice cream... you name it! But he balanced those options with things like oatmeal, salad, egg whites, etc. He also went on a walk each day. After 90 days, his cholesterol was significantly lowered and he could finally see his feet again!

I'm not suggesting that anyone go on a McDonald's diet or saying that this experiment should be continued long term - just pointing out that if fast food is an occasional necessity, there are clearly doable options that we can choose from. And everyone complaining that McDonald's makes people fat needs to realize that people and parents are, in fact, capable of making their own, healthier, choices. "
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    if one chicken breast is sold to a grocery chain for the frozen case, and another one is sold to a mcdonald's to go in a salad or a grilled sandwich, does the one that went to McDonald's automatically become crap?

So wait, you believe that McD is serving you Real Chicken Breast?
    Check it again.....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    if one chicken breast is sold to a grocery chain for the frozen case, and another one is sold to a mcdonald's to go in a salad or a grilled sandwich, does the one that went to McDonald's automatically become crap?

Check it again.....

Is it wizardry? Baseless slander is what causes nonsense to be spread. Needless complications, demonizing, & avoidance of food with the complete lack of actual fact.
  • jammallnyte
    jammallnyte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This only proves that you don't have to know very much about nutrition and get published.

Not true. They actually studied specific details of nutrition. Kept him on a set amount of calories, fat, carbs, etc. The proof here is if you study nutrition and stay within guidelines for your body and health you can treat yourself to fact food and still maintain a health weight and lifestyle.

For me it was very encouraging because my job does keep me on the run quite often and I have feared going near fast food and this tells me that if I do I can as long as I stay within my dietary plan and do it(for me) only once in a while and not daily.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Check it again.....

Is it wizardry? Baseless slander is what causes nonsense to be spread. Needless complications, demonizing, & avoidance of food with the complete lack of actual fact.

Except, the assumption that the chicken parts sold to the grocer and sold to McDonalds meet the same quality standards is false.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me. It is a demonstration that no matter what diet camp you are part of will work. If you follow some basic rules. I would rather celebrate the success in his accomplishment, unconcerned of political correctness. In regards to the Evil Empire of Fast Foods
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This only proves that you don't have to know very much about nutrition and get published.

Not true. They actually studied specific details of nutrition. Kept him on a set amount of calories, fat, carbs, etc. The proof here is if you study nutrition and stay within guidelines for your body and health you can treat yourself to fact food and still maintain a health weight and lifestyle.

For me it was very encouraging because my job does keep me on the run quite often and I have feared going near fast food and this tells me that if I do I can as long as I stay within my dietary plan and do it(for me) only once in a while and not daily.

Pretty sure he was referring to the blogger at Slate reporting on the story who seemed to be gobsmacked that losing weight by eating fast food is possible. And that the teacher's experiment was setting "a terrible example for students" -- as opposed to a very valuable lesson about calories, nutrients, exercise, free will, and choice.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Pretty sure he was referring to the blogger at Slate reporting on the story who seemed to be gobsmacked that losing weight by eating fast food is possible. And that the teacher's experiment was setting "a terrible example for students" -- as opposed to a very valuable lesson about calories, nutrients, exercise, free will, and choice.

And that "there’s not even strong evidence that losing weight is good for you" as the blogger claimed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Check it again.....

Except, the assumption that the chicken parts sold to the grocer and sold to McDonalds meet the same quality standards is false.

Would love to know more about the different standards for chickens between McDonald's and grocers (or more appropriately, not grocers, but the distributors between the farmers and grocers).
  • magerum
    Options

Check it again.....

You follow up with more baseless slander. Please educate us on the differences.

Got it.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Check it again.....

Would love to know more about the different standards for chickens between McDonald's and grocers (or more appropriately, not grocers, but the distributors between the farmers and grocers).

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004377
  • magerum
    Options

Check it again.....

This doesn't support your stance at all. It is a document that explains the difference in USDA grades.It does not state there are any nutritional differences between grades, because there are not. In fact their entire grading system is based on how the meat is harvested and packaged, not nutritional merit or value. Nor does it show how, if any, differences between the meat being purchased by your grocer and McDonalds.

"OMG, they posted a link to a usda document, that's all the proof I need!" You'll get a few people that will react that way, without reading the document at all. Congrats, you have helped to continue the spread of bad information, dangerous & antiquated beliefs, that will only hamper the weight loss community as a whole. Way to make it more complicated and diluted for people who struggle.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    don't care
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Check it again.....

I didn't find a single reference to the words, "McDonald's", "restaurant", "grocer", or "fast food". Perhaps you could point me to the section that differentiates standards between McDonald's and grocers?
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of the things I have learned on the journey is it looks and sounds health but when you look at the details it's not. I have high blood pressure so sodium in on my radar. I use to think if I at the McDonald's chicken wrap or the grilled I was doing good. Only to find out that the Cheddar and onion burger had less sodium. This is always my choice when McDonald's is my only choice for lunch or dinner. For breakfast it is the oatmeal.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    McDonalds GRILLED CHICKEN FILLET

Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Rice Starch, Salt, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Canola Oil, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Chicken Skin, Paprika, Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Garlic Powder, Chicken Fat, Spices), Sodium Phosphates.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.chicken.303.premium-grilled-chicken-classic-sandwich.html

The Tyson Chicken breast I buy at the grocery store:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts with rib meat contains up to 15% natural chicken broth. ALL NATURAL CHICKEN BROTH INGREDIENTS: Chicken broth, salt, natural flavorings.

http://www.tyson.com/Products/Boneless-Skinless-Chicken-Breasts-with-Rib-Meat-4-lb-bag.aspx

The difference? Some seasoning and sodium phosphates.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/40858-sodium-phosphate-label/
  • Greytfish
    Options

Check it again.....

You follow up with more baseless slander. Please educate us on the differences.

Got it.

In order to have "followed up with more" of anything, I would have had to have done whatever it was previously. I have not. Also, you misused the word slander. And, you apparenlty don't know much about raising, assessing, butchering, or grading of livestock and meat in the U.S.

There's probably a free local library near you and plenty of free source materials for your education readily available from the U.S. government.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    McDonalds GRILLED CHICKEN FILLET

Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Rice Starch, Salt, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Canola Oil, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Chicken Skin, Paprika, Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Garlic Powder, Chicken Fat, Spices), Sodium Phosphates.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.chicken.303.premium-grilled-chicken-classic-sandwich.html

The Tyson Chicken breast I buy at the grocery store:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts with rib meat contains up to 15% natural chicken broth. ALL NATURAL CHICKEN BROTH INGREDIENTS: Chicken broth, salt, natural flavorings.

http://www.tyson.com/Products/Boneless-Skinless-Chicken-Breasts-with-Rib-Meat-4-lb-bag.aspx

The difference? Some seasoning and sodium phosphates.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/40858-sodium-phosphate-label/

Or, you could buy real, natural chicken, but you would have to flip the package and read labels. Retailers count on you not doing that. The dead giveaway is the sodium content per serving. Natural chicken without injected salt broth will have only 80-100 mgs of sodium per serving. If you're consuming meat with more than 100 mgs of sodium per serving, you're consuming meat injected with a sodium solution. Worse, you're often paying more money for less actual chicken.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Lol why would anyone want to eat McDonalds?
    Not for me thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lol why would anyone want to eat McDonalds?
    Not for me thanks.

Because they enjoy it?