BREAD IS BAD!!

Options

Replies

• csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    They affect the chemical receptors in the brain the same way that cocaine does.

Yeah, Im pretty sure that this is NOT true.

http://www.details.com/style-advice/the-body/201103/carbs-caffeine-food-cocaine-addiction?currentPage=2

From the second page:

"In 2007, researchers at the University of Bordeaux, France, reported that when rats were allowed to choose between a calorie-free sweetener and intravenous cocaine, 94 percent preferred the sugar substitute. The researchers concluded that "intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward. . . . The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction." Nicole Avena, an expert in behavioral neuroscience at the University of Florida in Gainesville, has spent many hours analyzing the behavior of rats enticed into sucking up sugar. She says that feeding on sugar can, like snorting coke, lead to bingeing, withdrawal, and craving. It does this by lighting up the same circuitry within the brain triggered by cocaine and amphetamines, the dopamine center."
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

http://www.details.com/style-advice/the-body/201103/carbs-caffeine-food-cocaine-addiction?currentPage=2

From the second page:

"In 2007, researchers at the University of Bordeaux, France, reported that when rats were allowed to choose between a calorie-free sweetener and intravenous cocaine, 94 percent preferred the sugar substitute. The researchers concluded that "intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward. . . . The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction." Nicole Avena, an expert in behavioral neuroscience at the University of Florida in Gainesville, has spent many hours analyzing the behavior of rats enticed into sucking up sugar. She says that feeding on sugar can, like snorting coke, lead to bingeing, withdrawal, and craving. It does this by lighting up the same circuitry within the brain triggered by cocaine and amphetamines, the dopamine center."

I prefer the one with oreoes.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    any kind you can crumble up and add to meat
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

From the second page:

1. If youre going to provide 'scientific evidence' of something provide me with an article from a journal, not a website about 'culture and style'.

2. That is a rat study.

3. It is also about sugar, not carbohydrates.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I love all the breads. Especially if it's fresh out the oven... Mmmm........
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love ALL bread! My favorite has to be fresh wheat berry bread from Let's Do Lunch (small cafe where I live). I could eat the whole loaf in one sitting.
  • csmccord
    Options

From the second page:

1. If youre going to provide 'scientific evidence' of something provide me with an article from a journal, not a website about 'culture and style'.

2. That is a rat study.

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Try again.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my favourite bread is naan bread... my favourite naan bread is garlic naan

after that I like lebanese flat breads and similar

and a good ole British home cooked crusty loaf - but only homecooked by someone who's good at cooking that kind of bread, because if it's done wrong it goes very badly.

My least favourite bread (other than an extremely cheap white bread that tasted like flour that I'm not going to count as actual bread, which I ate once when really, really broke) is granary bread.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    my favourite bread is naan bread... my favourite naan bread is garlic naan

after that I like lebanese flat breads and similar

and a good ole British home cooked crusty loaf - but only homecooked by someone who's good at cooking that kind of bread, because if it's done wrong it goes very badly.

My least favourite bread (other than an extremely cheap white bread that tasted like flour that I'm not going to count as actual bread, which I ate once when really, really broke) is granary bread.

Also very good is the stuff they serve Ethiopian food on. Don't remember the name.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Russian Black bread, which is hard for me to find, followed by pumpernickel, which takes up vast swaths of my diary.
  • amy1612
    Options

From the second page:

2. That is a rat study.

Wow, great answer.

Look, you clearly think you had an 'addiction' to carbs (specifically bread). I'm telling you that you didn't, you certainly didn't have a physiological addiction. The fact that you stopped eating bread and had no issues with that speaks for itself. You may have had a psychological addiction to the feeling you got from eating bread, which may have resulted in a surge of dopamine or stimulation of an area such as the nucleus accumbens. HOWEVER, this could be the case for a NUMBER of pleasurable activities, including engaging in sexual intercourse. Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and misleading, and only done because cocaine GENERALLY (because in rare cases it may occur) doesnt result in the same reliant dependance as an opiate, for example. Animal models of sugar bingeing cannot be DIRECTLY applied to human subjects, research suggests that under certain circumstances that rats may show 'addictive-like' behaviours to sugar, and that this MIGHT tell us something about human sugar consumption. Not does. Might.

Anyway, I didnt come here to debate behavioural neuroscience and animal models of addiction.
    If people want to eat bread and are happy to do that butt out and let them. If you dont want to eat bread or other starchy carbs, dont.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

From the second page:

2. That is a rat study.

Wow, great answer.

Look, you clearly think you had an 'addiction' to carbs (specifically bread). I'm telling you that you didn't, you certainly didn't have a physiological addiction. The fact that you stopped eating bread and had no issues with that speaks for itself. You may have had a psychological addiction to the feeling you got from eating bread, which may have resulted in a surge of dopamine or stimulation of an area such as the nucleus accumbens. HOWEVER, this could be the case for a NUMBER of pleasurable activities, including engaging in sexual intercourse. Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and misleading, and only done because cocaine GENERALLY (because in rare cases it may occur) doesnt result in the same reliant dependance as an opiate, for example. Animal models of sugar bingeing cannot be DIRECTLY applied to human subjects, research suggests that under certain circumstances that rats may show 'addictive-like' behaviours to sugar, and that this MIGHT tell us something about human sugar consumption. Not does. Might.

Anyway, I didnt come here to debate behavioural neuroscience and animal models of addiction.
    If people want to eat bread and are happy to do that butt out and let them. If you dont want to eat bread or other starchy carbs, dont.

I like you.
  • amy1612
    Options

I like you.

:flowerforyou:
  • csmccord
    Options

Wow, great answer.

So because my opinion is different I'm just supposed to shut my mouth and not say anything? Yet you and all these other people are allowed to give their opinion without an issue? It goes both ways. If you don't want to debate it, then maybe you shouldn't have jumped into the conversation to begin with?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Wow, great answer.

So because my opinion is different I'm just supposed to shut my mouth and not say anything? Yet you and all these other people are allowed to give their opinion without an issue? It goes both ways. If you don't want to debate it, then maybe you shouldn't have jumped into the conversation to begin with?

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. If you use false or misleading information or logic, you will be called out on it around here.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Pane Dicasa Olive Loaf...but I prefer sweet buns:wink:
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Brioche, and Red Hen Bakery Multi-Grain Bread....
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

From the second page:

Oh, please, you can't trust anything those wacky Gators* say!

*UF class of '97, with honors :wink:
  • amy1612
    Options

Wow, great answer.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. If you use false or misleading information or logic, you will be called out on it around here.

This,

and also the fact that this thread is not a 'debate', its people talking about their favourite bread. If you dont like bread, dont contribute. I wouldnt go to a thread on football just to add 'well I dont like football. I had an injury from playing football once and therefore its terrible and people should think twice'.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I started making a loaf of bread last night.....and then decided I wanted pizza for dinner…. Result – one half-sized loaf and one delicious potato, sprout and ham pizza drizzled with garlic and thyme infused oil.

As an aside, does anyone have a good roti recipe? I mean soft and flexible, how do you get it ultra ultra thin so it cooks like a roti and not ending up like a pitta bread? I have Miss Jennifer’s recipe (go to her hut at Crown Point, Tobago. Go now) but can’t get it to work properly.

edited to add - yes, sourdough. but also soft warm from the oven home made white rolls. Or Pide.