you can't lose stomach fat if you don't eat "clean"?

Options

Replies

• bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Clean has many meanings to different people. For me it means no processed foods, only whole grain products and fresh. I do eat some snacks from the Naturebox series(it is a mailorder monthly products) but they must be whole grain, no added sugars and gmo. I eat organic when I can. I don't shop at whole foods, I would be handing my paycheck over.
    I eat a lot of chicken, fish and very little red meat. I never eat ground meat, sub with 99.7% ground turkey. I will eat beef on occasion but it has to be good beef. I eat tons of kale, spinach and good veggies like squashes, broccoli ect.

Some clean eaters are very specific like no dairy. I eat only greek yogurt no sugar added(usually plain) I add my own fruit. I try to substitute almond milk in my veggie shakes, cereal ect but will drink a little cows milk if a recipe calls for it.

If you eat processed foods and want to lose weight on that fine. Try clean eating for 14 days, yeah sugar withdrawl is rough the first 4-5 days but once you hit week 2 you will be amazed of how you feel and what the number is on the scale.

edited to add: I just saw your post above. I don't feel you need to eat at a defecit. I think you need to fuel your body. I eat a lot of calories especially if it is a weight lifting day.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It does matter what you eat. I am a RN, a clean eater and that is my opinion. To get the skinny abs you want yes it is important to exercise but 90% of it is nutrition. Granted you can get fat eating clean if you calories go over your defecit but I myself have a hard time getting in my calories. I don't do low carb, not paleo or vegetarian. I eat non processed 80-90% of the time and when I eat processed like mc donalds it makes me ill. So you are saying the calories in a mcdonalds whopper is the same of eating whole like foods, really???
    My story- I was over 100 pounds overweight in june when I walked into a gym near my job. My blood pressure was very high, and I felt horrible. I could barely get through my job of being an Intensive care nurse and knew I needed to do something. A new gym opened and our hospital insurance offered a 6 month free membership. I walked in and met a trainer who was kind and motivating he got me started on a cardio and weight training program and a clean eating program to follow.
    I by December lost 60 pounds. I lost 32 inches overall. This was on my bust, waist (10inches), hips (6 inches) and arms and thighs. I went from a size 24 to a size 16. I am only around halfway there.
    Over the holidays I went back to my old habits, not crazy but eating junk and cookies and hamburgers out and the weight piled on. I just got back to it last week and losing what I gained so I can continue.
    Clean eating does matter. I have done every diet there is, nutrisystem, weight watchers, jenny craig but clean eating is the only thing that worked. I am not saying if you did ww or jc or another diet it won't work but it did not for me.
    how much do I exercise??? 3-4 days a week around 60 min. So you don't have to exercise like a crazy person.

Eh, I like my weekly trip to McDonalds, tastes delicious.

And you started this thread because?..............
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Also the most important rule around belly fat and abs when it comes to MFP:

Unless the poster is very well known in the fitness community, don't take any ones advice on lower body fat or abs that:

- Doesn't actually have lower body fat percentage or abs themselves

- Is 25 or under (sorry girls and guys..when you hit 26 your body is gonna do some F'd up things to you and not play by the same rules as it has been for the start of your life.) It's not that you didn't earn it, its just different....trust me....you'll see what I'm talking about.

- Has a profile pic of an animal (ie cat, dog, horse, 4 legged creature, parrot?)

Sorry all you 275 lb nutritionist, nurses, and personal trainers, even if you are correct in what you are saying I will still never listen to your advice on subjects like this.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It does matter what you eat. I am a RN, a clean eater and that is my opinion. To get the skinny abs you want yes it is important to exercise but 90% of it is nutrition. Granted you can get fat eating clean if you calories go over your defecit but I myself have a hard time getting in my calories. I don't do low carb, not paleo or vegetarian. I eat non processed 80-90% of the time and when I eat processed like mc donalds it makes me ill. So you are saying the calories in a mcdonalds whopper is the same of eating whole like foods, really???
    My story- I was over 100 pounds overweight in june when I walked into a gym near my job. My blood pressure was very high, and I felt horrible. I could barely get through my job of being an Intensive care nurse and knew I needed to do something. A new gym opened and our hospital insurance offered a 6 month free membership. I walked in and met a trainer who was kind and motivating he got me started on a cardio and weight training program and a clean eating program to follow.
    I by December lost 60 pounds. I lost 32 inches overall. This was on my bust, waist (10inches), hips (6 inches) and arms and thighs. I went from a size 24 to a size 16. I am only around halfway there.
    Over the holidays I went back to my old habits, not crazy but eating junk and cookies and hamburgers out and the weight piled on. I just got back to it last week and losing what I gained so I can continue.
    Clean eating does matter. I have done every diet there is, nutrisystem, weight watchers, jenny craig but clean eating is the only thing that worked. I am not saying if you did ww or jc or another diet it won't work but it did not for me.
    how much do I exercise??? 3-4 days a week around 60 min. So you don't have to exercise like a crazy person.

Eh, I like my weekly trip to McDonalds, tastes delicious.

And you started this thread because?..............

Obviously because I was looking for an answer to my question....
  • Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Unless the poster is very well known in the fitness community, don't take any ones advice on lower body fat or abs that:

- Is 25 or under (sorry girls and guys..when you hit 26 your body is gonna do some F'd up things to you and not play by the same rules as it has been for the start of your life.) It's not that you didn't earn it, its just different....trust me....you'll see what I'm talking about.

- Has a profile pic of an animal (ie cat, dog, horse, 4 legged creature, parrot?)

Sorry all you 275 lb nutritionist, nurses, and personal trainers, even if you are correct in what you are saying I will still never listen to your advice on subjects like this.

lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sure, people can lose weight eating junk, but the amount of strain put on the body as it has to filter everything is surely increased significantly

If it's food, then by definition, it isn't "junk." Food is food. Get off your high horse.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Occasionally some of us fatties listen to advice given by people who have obtained lower body fat percentages and have visible abs and we want to share the correct information. Of course, if you dismiss whatever I say, I'm not going to sit in the corner and cry either.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Woohoo! I fit! Well known. Have abs. Almost 29 (and had two kids while obese).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Fructose Is only harmful in large amounts and it is almost impossible to overeat fructose by eating fruit.

Challenge accepted! :bigsmile: :devil:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Realize that everyone metabolism/body fuctions and responds completely different. Not everyone is the same. What works for you may not work for the next person. You can't tell a normal indivdual who has basic diet/exercise princapls to eat they same way/things a competive athlete does...but that's JMO.

:laugh:

But you can (generally) tell an uninformed person by their lack of spelling, grammar.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

I fit all of that. I'm a 36 year old mom of 2 and all of my pictures are of myself. The current is my throwback Thursday, when I was anorexic, but the rest are pretty current. I'm also relatively well known and respected in the MFP community for giving helpful, realistic advice.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say "abs are made in the kitchen"

Does that mean, eating a deficit? Or does that mean I have to eat super clean in order to see any definition in my abs?

I relatively healthy, but I don't eat "clean".

<
    calorie deficit.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

I fit all of that. I'm a 36 year old mom of 2 and all of my pictures are of myself. The current is my throwback Thursday, when I was anorexic, but the rest are pretty current. I'm also relatively well known and respected in the MFP community for giving helpful, realistic advice.

And you're one of the people other should take note when you post.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Clean has many meanings to different people.

If something has too many meanings then by default it has no meaning...
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Occasionally some of us fatties listen to advice given by people who have obtained lower body fat percentages and have visible abs and we want to share the correct information. Of course, if you dismiss whatever I say, I'm not going to sit in the corner and cry either.

I don't speak french.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's not complicated, people want to make it complicated. Deficit to lose weight, exercise to firm it up. Whether you eat 'clean' or not is a personal preference.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

And you're one of the people other should take note when you post.

I'm sorry. What did you say? I was staring at my new washboard... :wink: I kid. Thank you.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Also, I use Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10) for my chili instead of Ground Turkey, is that bad?

I know Ground Turkey is healthier because it's lower in fat, but I don't like the taste.

What makes you think ground turkey is "healthier"?

It certainly tastes like crap compared to ground beef.

People say its healthier. All these diet books and stuff say to use Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef.

Protip: diet books and stuff are all BS.

Good to know.

Also, I have a cheat/re-feed day on Saturdays where I pretty much just eat junk. And by junk, I mean McDonalds for Lunch, going out for dinner, having some chips. Should I stop doing that? I feel like it helps though.

I eat fast food at least three-four times a week. Did this while losing weight and still doing this while successfully maintaining :smile: Eat the way now, that you want to eat for the rest of your life, because the weight loss phase is for a very short period of time compared to the many years of maintenance you have ahead of you. Why box yourself in with meaningless rules and restrictions about the foods you eat, when that's not realistically how you're going to be eating for the next 20, 30, 40+ years? Don't set yourself up for failure.

Right now is the time to focus on learning to remove emotion from eating, what portion sizes are, moderation, break bad eating habits etc. These things will be what separates you from the 95% that fail at long term weight loss success. Eat what you enjoy, learn how to deal with food properly and be happy, healthy and thin :smile:
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, I use Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10) for my chili instead of Ground Turkey, is that bad?

I know Ground Turkey is healthier because it's lower in fat, but I don't like the taste.

People say its healthier. All these diet books and stuff say to use Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef.

Good to know.

Also, I have a cheat/re-feed day on Saturdays where I pretty much just eat junk. And by junk, I mean McDonalds for Lunch, going out for dinner, having some chips. Should I stop doing that? I feel like it helps though.

I eat fast food at least three-four times a week. Did this while losing weight and still doing this while successfully maintaining :smile: Eat the way now, that you want to eat for the rest of your life, because the weight loss phase is for a very short period of time compared to the many years of maintenance you have ahead of you. Why box yourself in with meaningless rules and restrictions about the foods you eat, when that's not realistically how you're going to be eating for the next 20, 30, 40+ years? Don't set yourself up for failure.

Right now is the time to focus on learning to remove emotion from eating, what portion sizes are, moderation, break bad eating habits etc. These things will be what separates you from the 95% that fail at long term weight loss success. Eat what you enjoy, learn how to deal with food properly and be happy, healthy and thin :smile:

Wow you ate fast food 3 days a week? You look awesome! And you have very flat abs.

Thanks for the advice.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Good to know.

Wow you ate fast food 3 days a week? You look awesome! And you have very flat abs.

Thanks for the advice.

3 times a week is nothing. Sometimes I eat fast food three times a *day*.