What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (book three of The First Law) and I am Providence by S.T. Joshi (biography of HP Lovecraft). I'm reading the Abercrombie book as I picked up the first book of the series while on a trip so I'd have something to read on the plane. Totally hooked and would highly recommend for fantasy fans (think of it like reading a violent Tolkien).

I've been meaning to give this one a try. Next time I'll have to grab it
    The Silmarillion..........It's pre-Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    Yeah it's nerdy.....so what

This is my #1 favorite book. LotR was good, but The Silmarillion is more impressive on a number of levels.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    The butlerian jihad. Dune series
  • mudknuckles
    mudknuckles Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    Shaman - KSR
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Most of the way through Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game books (having recently seen the movie.) Next up is James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Joust by Mercedes Lakey. My bestie loaned it to me. Don't tell her, but I think Imma keep it. lol
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    this...

9781611746273_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am currently re-reading "IT" by Stephen King. As scary as the first time...Awesome book
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The butlerian jihad. Dune series

I :heart: Dune! At one point, I was working on amassing the collection.
  • IrishGabriella
    IrishGabriella Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have three words of advice:

Read "Gone Girl"

It's an amazing book with twists and turns, and there is a movie to be released this year! :)

Just finished that. Brilliant book. I love that author.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I am an audiobook kind of girl. Currently listening to 'A Princess of Mars' by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Training by Mike Mentzer, and ASOIAF.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Reading World War Z for the third time! SO WELL WRITTEN!
  • ThinWhiteDuchess
    ThinWhiteDuchess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I personally love Cormac McCarthy - just finished "The Road", which I found absolutely beautiful. I'm also reading the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, good for a laugh. If you feel like something intelligent and deep, along with stunning language, try Vladimir Nabokov. Or, if you love the English language and feel like a good scare, try M. R. James horror stories. :smile:
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    'The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair' by Joel ****er

I'd never heard of it, but my hubs brought it home. So the first 20 pages or so were about a writer that has writer's block, and I'm just thinking man I hope the next 400 pages aren't about his stupid writers block. Long story short.... it's really good! Not going to give anything away but WOW!

Apparently it's a best seller. It's good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/international-best-seller-truth-harry-662372
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10611852/Harry-Quebert-The-French-thriller-that-has-taken-the-world-by-storm.html
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have three words of advice:

Read "Gone Girl"

It's an amazing book with twists and turns, and there is a movie to be released this year! :)

Just finished that. Brilliant book. I love that author.
    I disagree vehemently.

Read Rebecca if you like that kind of thing. At least you'll be reading the original and not a poorly disguised plagiarism. And I was genuiniely surprised at the ending of Rebecca. I saw the twist in Gone Girl coming from the first chapter, not to mention the terrible, nonexistent character development. I couldn't bring myself to give a crap what happened to any of them.

But it was a quick, easy read, I guess. I've heard they're making major changes for the movie, which can only be a good thing.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    I am an audiobook kind of girl. Currently listening to 'A Princess of Mars' by Edgar Rice Burroughs

I read all of the John Carter books a couple of years ago before the movie came out. I don't know why I didn't read them as a kid, as I read a lot of ERB's other books.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I'm re-reading The Road.
  • RyansReacher
    Options
    Command and Control by Eric Schlosser
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
  • paleonutripal