No more added or artificial sugar: who's with me?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even asserting that added sugar is bad for your health; I was saying that it isn't really beneficial.

Also, if you'd like to consume endless amounts of processed foods with artificial crap, preservatives, and tons of sugar and salt, go ahead. I prefer to steer clear of ingredients I can't pronounce or wouldn't have in my own kitchen. There's no reason to hate on those of us who prefer to avoid processed food. I'm not telling you what to do, just offering another point of view.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even asserting that added sugar is bad for your health; I was saying that it isn't really beneficial.

Also, if you'd like to consume endless amounts of processed foods with artificial crap, preservatives, and tons of sugar and salt, go ahead. I prefer to steer clear of ingredients I can't pronounce or wouldn't have in my own kitchen. There's no reason to hate on those of us who prefer to avoid processed food. I'm not telling you what to do, just offering another point of view.

The problem isn't what you choose to do. Eat however you want.

The problem is when people say it's essential for good health and then make baseless claims that they repeatedly fail to substantiate.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

knowledgeable "real" athletes know the dangers of excess sugar consumption, I would think... They eat "real" food, not fake food

My guess is you have never met a real athlete then...

I know high level athletes who eat plenty of sugar - and even gasp - drink alcohol. Sometimes...to excess :O
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Sure it is beneficial, it is energy for your body to use.

And I don't think anyone is saying you should eat an endless amounts of that stuff. I'd also respectfully point out that attitude is why people jump down the throats of the clean eating brigade. No one is "hating" on anyone. No one is saying eat nothing but processed foods and sugar.

People are just combatting misinformation, scare mongering and promoting a more healthy relationship with food.

For someone who almost died because of his relationship with food, and who failed many diets due to misinformation (like fear mongering of certain foods/macros) I feel strongly that people should hear both sides of the story.

At the end of the day we all have to do what works for us. I don't think anyone has any problem with people "eating clean". The problem is when people like Joanne_Moniz spread misinformation that is not only wrong but from a quick view of her group - dangerous.

I am happy there are realistic, rational people who can answer her with researched, science backed evidence. It saved my life, so maybe it will save someone elses.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

If you don't eat things you can't pronounce, how do you ever eat vitamins? The real names for vitamins are incredibly long, complex chemical names that make ingredients lists in processed food look like first grade reading level. Seriously, so if they just gave the preservatives easy to pronounce nicknames like they do with vitamins you'd eat them?

What exactly is unhealthy to the human body about any of the food additives used today, specifically?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Also, if you'd like to consume endless amounts of processed foods with artificial crap, preservatives, and tons of sugar and salt, go ahead.

1. This is what gets the snarky comments going... it is an elitist attitude towards people who have found a way to include all types of food in their diet with no negative consequences.
    2. Why do you assume it is, "endless amounts"?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think sugar is bad for your health -- or at least the amount of sugar we're consuming today is. I would say good job cutting it out but frankly, OP, if your diary is accurate and you're eating 20g - 30g now with occasional high days of 50g-60g. I don't think that level of total sugar a day is an issue and I wonder if reducing your sugar anymore -- even if it's added sugar -- would have any benefit for you?

Maybe a better goal would be to eat as much whole food as possible while still enjoying everything you eat? The only reason I suggest that is because all or nothing goals you have to sych yourself up for are hard to stick with when the motivation wears off. Best wishes. :smile:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Also, if you'd like to consume endless amounts of processed foods with artificial crap, preservatives, and tons of sugar and salt, go ahead.

1. This is what gets the snarky comments going... it is an elitist attitude towards people who have found a way to include all types of food in their diet with no negative consequences.
    2. Why do you assume it is, "endless amounts"?

QFT! There is a middle ground between eating no sugar and eating endless amounts. Let's be real here...

Personally I eat an overall nutritious diet which includes all kinds of foods, even sugar (but I know how to moderate).
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i'll take the artificial sugars and forfeit the calories. lol

Exactly! I like that I can go to Starbucks and get a Venti Iced Green Tea with 3 equals and it's a big fat ZERO. A nice treat at less than $3 on a Friday afternoon or whenever really!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think sugar is bad for your health -- or at least the amount of sugar we're consuming today is. I would say good job cutting it out but frankly, OP, if your diary is accurate and you're eating 20g - 30g now with occasional high days of 50g-60g. I don't think that level of total sugar a day is an issue and I wonder if reducing your sugar anymore -- even if it's added sugar -- would have any benefit for you?

Maybe a better goal would be to eat as much whole food as possible while still enjoying everything you eat? The only reason I suggest that is because all or nothing goals you have to sych yourself up for are hard to stick with when the motivation wears off. Best wishes. :smile:

On the days you go over, you could up the exercise... it will balance it out.. Let me know if you want to know the science of how that works

Cheers!!

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • terrahanne
    Options
    There are many studies about how processed foods affect our bodies. Natural sugar from fruits is ok because it is not processed. I was watching the news the other day and sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine. I have always been a sweets eater and loved pasta and chips, but ever since I have cut those out of my diet and think they taste awful. There is a book out its a sugar challenge diet that is supposed to work to detoxify your body. People just do not really understand the effects of all the chemicals they put into food. Just like certain gatoraid (red and orange) has fire retardant they put on clothing in it as an emulsifier.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are many studies about how processed foods affect our bodies. Natural sugar from fruits is ok because it is not processed. I was watching the news the other day and sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine. I have always been a sweets eater and loved pasta and chips, but ever since I have cut those out of my diet and think they taste awful. There is a book out its a sugar challenge diet that is supposed to work to detoxify your body. People just do not really understand the effects of all the chemicals they put into food. Just like certain gatoraid (red and orange) has fire retardant they put on clothing in it as an emulsifier.
    1. Sugar is not 8 times more addictive than cocaine, that's absolutely ludicrous and laughable.

2. The human body cannot distinguish between "processed" or "natural" sugars because they are the exact same molecule. I would love to see just one of these supposed studies.

3. Water is a fire retardant and industrial degreaser. It's also a critical component in nuclear reactors. So what exactly is your point there?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

On the days you go over, you could up the exercise... it will balance it out.. Let me know if you want to know the science of how that works

Cheers!!

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
    I'm going to start signing my name with my group(s) too.

Cindyinpg
    Eat pizza. Lose Weight. Easy.
    Walking Dead Fans
    Walking Dead Fitness Challenge
    Eat, Train, Progress
    Canada, Eh?
    NROLFW
    Zombie Survivor
    BodyBugg Wearing Buddies
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I will decline. I have significantly reduced my use of sugar, and I don't do artificial sugar at all, but I will allow myself at least 1 tsp of sugar in my oatmeal of plain yogurt. So, with that being said, I'm out. (In my Shark Tank voice).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Moderation works fine.