coffee lovers please help!

Options

Replies

• dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like to make coffee, let it cool down, and then use it (with nothing added) as a base for a chocolate or vanilla protein shake, instead of using water or almond milk. It's like a protein-enriched fancy coffee drink. You should try it!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I use International Delight coffee creamers (the regular stuff, not the low fat or sugar-free stuff). I also always get double cream and sugar if I buy my coffee somewhere. And if I'm being really bad, I use 18% table cream.

I've lost weight doing this and there is no way I'd ever give up my coffee.
  • wrk2hrd
    wrk2hrd Posts: 28
    Options
    Trust me when I say: Once you go black, you won't go back!

Black coffee is the ONLY way to consume/enjoy coffee!

Why? You get to enjoy the caffeine, without the guilt of cream and sugar!!!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee just plain but I know a couple people that like it with the Coconut Oil in it and sounds like it might be pretty good :)
  • barbaraonstad
    Options
    I can't drink coffee without sweetener. I heard agave is better than sugar, and it tastes like sugar too
  • peaceenharmonyy
    Options
    I'm kind of confused, how could someone love coffee but think it tastes terrible without additives..

That out of the way, why are you cutting back on your sweetener? I'd keep using it if it's the way you like your coffee.

Im drinking the coffee they make at work and by what everyone saying its bad quality
    im cutting back on the sweetener because iv been using WAAAAAAAY to much
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Always Starbucks coffee. I even brew it at home. As for the sugar. I started off drinking it with all the sugar and then gradually cut back. I still use sugar, less than half of what I used to.. I also like a little cocoa in my coffee for a treat and a lttle bit of half and half. I believe that you are never satisfied if you crave a taste. A cup of good coffee is not going to send you to diet hell.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a keurig?

I have one at home and another on my desk at work...love them! I used to drink coffee with a lot of sugar and cream. Now, just a little sugar. I use packets or cubes to get accurate measurement. But, as others have said, drink what you like and then just record it accurately. I know a lot of people that still use sugar and real cream or half/half.

Good luck and enjoy your coffee!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I use stevia to sweeten it, along with a little sugar free vanilla creamer.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused, how could someone love coffee but think it tastes terrible without additives..

That out of the way, why are you cutting back on your sweetener? I'd keep using it if it's the way you like your coffee.

Im drinking the coffee they make at work and by what everyone saying its bad quality
    Gross... if it's cheap bad coffee I wouldn't bother with it... just brew a tea.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking black coffee since... well, way before I should have been drinking coffee, haha. It means my coffee experience hits me both with taste and with caffeine, in terms of jolting me awake. But that doesn't mean I don't like things like Starbucks, which an ex of mine aptly called "a candy bar in a cup." So when I go for things like that now, I build my day around them. Like yesterday I had a skinny peppermint mocha and an almond croissant for breakfast, which meant I had a really light lunch (because I was also having a calorific dinner).

How much sugar do you use? If it's not too much, you can leave it as is and work around it. If it's enough that it's taking more calories than you can afford out of your day, try cutting back the sugar a little bit at a time. Obviously artificial sweeteners are an option--my father has lost 100 pounds and loves his Splenda!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like adding water into my coffee. Usually. Sometimes it's nice to just chew on the beans. Especially the ones dipped in dark chocolate. Usually though I like mine with water.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Gotcha. I have a tendency of putting cream and/or sugar in coffee that is, at best, mediocre, but good coffee I love black.

If you want to cut out the sweet, best I can say is just drink it black for a week and you should have gotten used to the taste and find it tasting odd if you put sugar or sweetener in it. I don't know about this last part though.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Stevia- usually the generic Truvia kind. There are also lots of sugar and calorie free Torani syrup flavors you can use, but be careful about Splenda/Sucralose, which is the sweetener in Torani's. If I have it more than about twice a week, it makes me anxious and agitated. I was using it a lot and couldn't figure out why my mood was so bad and then the connection dawned on me and I Googled it- there are major problems associated with Splenda, including mood problems. But it seems to be related to how much you have of it, because your body can only filter out so much of it at a time and it can build up and cause problems. So I stopped using it entirely for about a week, then slowly added it back, but only once every few days. My body seems to be able to handle it that way.

I'd quit it entirely, but darn it, I likes my flavored syrups in my dang coffee!!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

That's kind of like saying, "How can someone love chocolate, but not like plain bakers chocolate without sugar?" For some of us, coffee with sweetener and cream is just the way we like coffee.

If you never tried plain bakers chocolate, the kind with no sugar in it, go to the store and get some, compare it to milk chocolate and you'll get my meaning.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I plunge my teaspoon into the granulated sugar bowl, level the spoon out with that white glittery substance and mix into my freshly brewed cup of coffee with one small half & half serving and drink away. Repeat the process once more during the morning, then switch to water or herbal tea.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Have you coffee the way you enjoy it. Just log it accurately and account for the calories. Depriving yourself will likely make it harder to stick with your plan. I know that I'd be very unhappy if I gave up my coffee; the people around me would be pretty upset about it, too, come to that.
    This. Drink it how you want it, log it, move on. Apply that to everything else you eat or drink.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off sugar in my coffee years ago. I just add extra milk.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started cutting back on sugar and creamer, but finally decided that it tastes better with nothing in it instead of just a little of the good stuff. on a splurge day, I'll put sugar and creamer in it (I call it my "fancy" coffee), but most days, I just take it straight up. ...same for my boozing. ;)
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Coffee isnt supposed to be sweet--its supposed to be bitter. Even as a young child, I always preferred it black. If you can't appreciate the richness and bitter flavors from having it black--well..I guess thats your loss. Sorry I cant be more help on this. Maybe you could try putting honey in it instead of sugar--but surely a teaspoon or 2 of sugar isnt going to kill your weight loss/fitness efforts.