Replies

• Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So true!!!! Totally agree!!!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I lift at the university gym if the firehall gym is down for floor care or some reason, and I train beside young ladies 1/3 my age who can out lift my *kitten*. Very inspiring. Women have every right to work out how and where they like.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I came in here wanting to be filled with righteously indignation. . But. It's totally on point.

I'm not mad. Not mad at all. Excellent points. Carry on.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you feel empowered and are going for it !

I have had a few women workout partners.

I saw a bit of that negative stuff in years gone by.

Now it seems women get that respect. We have probably 30% women in the free weight section. More on the weekends.

Truth be told I am more scared to go in Zumba class with 99% women!

That and the spin class too... They are just killing it in there. People come out looking like they got sprayed with a hose.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg I think I love you
  • BeFitBri2
    BeFitBri2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great post OP :)
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yay awesome, yeah there's plenty of girls at my gym,but most stop at 5 pounds dumbells and the rest..it's leg day everyday, it's kinda cool cos they go wow when I do stuff,kinda feel cool there hehe. The guys are nice and treat me respectfully,maybe cos I do stuff that usually "only men do" like hmm I dunno english name.. dips on parallel bars? some pull ups ( can do about 4 real ones ) etc.

It is cool and makes me feel like I'm super strong :smiley:
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The first few times in the weight area, I was nervous. Now, when I'm in there, I'm just one of the guys. Get in, do your workout, get out. I've never had issues. Actually, my only issue is when someone compliments me on my workout/work ethic between sets, so really, not an issue.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am not sure if this thread is totally spot on or seriously over thinking things.

I'm not sure why it is so scary and intimidating. What's to be scared of? We are all people. To those people who are scared of the free weights section - what do you think will happen?

I am a 42 year old woman have been in the free weights section of the gym for the past 2 years. I have never had a serious problem with anyone else in the gym, male or female. One guy once asked me if I was going to put any weight on my bar (I took it as him being critical of the amount I was lifting) but I just informed him that I was just warming up and proceeded to kick my workouts butt! the next time I saw him he made sure to give me a smile and comment on my strength so I think he learned the lesson that you should never comment on the amount another person is lifting.

The majority of the time I arrive, do my workout and leave. I work on reception at the gym and a lot of staff use the facility so I kind of know quite a few faces. I have had comments on my form (all good so far) and we chat about programmes and what works for them. I also chat with the women, I'll compliment them on their workouts etc or ask them what they do to get their arms or legs looking so good. As with any social situation some people want to chat and be friendly and some want to get their heads down and be invisible.

I don't think I get watched any more than anyone else. Maybe I'm too old and ugly! I feel part of the free weights family and that includes men and women.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am not sure if this thread is totally spot on or seriously over thinking things.

I'm not sure why it is so scary and intimidating. What's to be scared of? We are all people. To those people who are scared of the free weights section - what do you think will happen?

I am a 42 year old woman have been in the free weights section of the gym for the past 2 years. I have never had a serious problem with anyone else in the gym, male or female. One guy once asked me if I was going to put any weight on my bar (I took it as him being critical of the amount I was lifting) but I just informed him that I was just warming up and proceeded to kick my workouts butt! the next time I saw him he made sure to give me a smile and comment on my strength so I think he learned the lesson that you should never comment on the amount another person is lifting.

The majority of the time I arrive, do my workout and leave. I work on reception at the gym and a lot of staff use the facility so I kind of know quite a few faces. I have had comments on my form (all good so far) and we chat about programmes and what works for them. I also chat with the women, I'll compliment them on their workouts etc or ask them what they do to get their arms or legs looking so good. As with any social situation some people want to chat and be friendly and some want to get their heads down and be invisible.

I don't think I get watched any more than anyone else. Maybe I'm too old and ugly! I feel part of the free weights family and that includes men and women.

While I agree with you in that there's no reason to be scared of the free weights section, the fact remains that many people are intimidated by the thought of it, especially women. I think the thread is addressing the actual facts on the ground and trying to encourage more women to head into the free weight section and find for themselves that's there's nothing to worry about
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It really can be intimidating going to the weights section, especially as an overweight woman. You have all these muscular guys, all this equipment that you have no idea what half of it is for, and the feeling that people are going to laugh at you. I felt that way at first, and I know many others have as well.

Once I bit the bullet, and have now been lifting for months, I agree, it was silly of me to feel that way. But at the time, I really was intimidated.

You quickly realize that 99.9% of the guys/ladies working out are awesome, are there to do their own thing, and will answer any questions you have.

• Katzedernacht
    Options
    Well it must be more intimidating on a cultural level, I mean, some girls are still afraid to get bulky, some get shy cos there are guys around ( gym is not a dating place ladies xD ) luckily that's not my case .
    It is much easier when people at gym are friendly, I made a gym buddy or two and they compliment me cos apparently no other girl does bar dips or stuff like that . Which is kinda sad, they'd get much better results but oh well.

We even have 4 sets of coloured dumbells, those are the little ones, and most girls go grab them,there's like 2 who go past 8 lbs so yay for that.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What a great thread.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I feel like this was written like she is giving tips to people in prison trying to lift in "the yard" for the first time. Just lift weights or don't lift weights. If I see a women in free weights I just think to myself "hell yea, that's cool" and being honest in a gym with my testosterone on full blast if she is cute I'll look a little deeper but get back to why I'm at the gym...to make gains for myself. No need to overthink it, just do what you gotta do and work hard while doing it.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ^^^ hahah this. omg WHO CARES. the only thing I think about when there are men lifting near me is OMG RE RACK YOUR FREAKING WEIGHTS. or plzzz get out of the squat rack w/ those curls. also idk why but a lot of men do really weird stuff at the gym. haha sometimes I watch them like about to run to the panic button to call an ambulance. hahah idk why it's like really weird stuff.
  • Katzedernacht
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »
    ^^^ hahah this. omg WHO CARES. the only thing I think about when there are men lifting near me is OMG RE RACK YOUR FREAKING WEIGHTS. or plzzz get out of the squat rack w/ those curls. also idk why but a lot of men do really weird stuff at the gym. haha sometimes I watch them like about to run to the panic button to call an ambulance. hahah idk why it's like really weird stuff.

Totally agree!
    shoulder shrugs
    bicep curls
    everything on the squat rack! go do it in other place guys!!!!
    and yes,I just watch this particular group of guys who go there.. they scream a lot,all of them,it's like 6.
    hilarious
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I feel like this was written like she is giving tips to people in prison trying to lift in "the yard" for the first time. Just lift weights or don't lift weights. If I see a women in free weights I just think to myself "hell yea, that's cool" and being honest in a gym with my testosterone on full blast if she is cute I'll look a little deeper but get back to why I'm at the gym...to make gains for myself. No need to overthink it, just do what you gotta do and work hard while doing it.

Have you spent much time in this forum? For many women who post here, that is pretty much the feeling they have.
    Yeah, you don't get it, and no, not everyone feels like that, but that doesn't mean it isn't a very real concern for some women.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Have you spent much time in this forum? For many women who post here, that is pretty much the feeling they have.
    Yeah, you don't get it, and no, not everyone feels like that, but that doesn't mean it isn't a very real concern for some women.

This
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »

Totally agree!
    shoulder shrugs
    bicep curls
    everything on the squat rack! go do it in other place guys!!!!
    and yes,I just watch this particular group of guys who go there.. they scream a lot,all of them,it's like 6.
    hilarious

lol i'm like "oh weird, what is he gunna do with that swiss ball... no no.. the smith machine?? with the.. put that back... PUT THAT BACK!"

that and all the bros like making just the most awful noises. haha like damn does it really take all that to bench 65 lb?