I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's the big deal about being a woman in the weights room actually. I never feel intimidated. I've never got bad stares, I just got some compliments:)

You're right. We pay the membership too, just like the guys. We have as much right to be there as they do! I am intimidated though, but by working out at weird hours, I'm getting over my fear.

Yeah I've been embarrassed and intimidated about going into my gym's free-weight section but I think it was just all in my head as I went there today and got on with what I planned to do with no problems - same as everyone else.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    This is a really dumb question I am sure... I have been going to a gym for 10 weeks now and doing cardio and weight machines. Why are free weights better? I bought the NROL book but haven't started yet- yep I am a little intimidated.

But what is the difference between free weights and the weight machines?
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    This is a really dumb question I am sure... I have been going to a gym for 10 weeks now and doing cardio and weight machines. Why are free weights better? I bought the NROL book but haven't started yet- yep I am a little intimidated.

But what is the difference between free weights and the weight machines?
    [/quote

Ah never mind. I found this. It answers my questions :)

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/06/11/free-weights-vs-machines/]
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am also the woman who is usually alone in the weight room and I am the one who is scared of not putting the weight plates and clipping them properly. Yes I know super dumb. I wish I had another female to workout with
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me lollerskate.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    At my gym all of the cardio machines, weight machines and free weights are in one huge space so there's no real feeling of "rooms".

I was terrified of going to the gym at ALL, let alone doing weights. I joined the gym and did dumbbell work on my own, then hired a trainer to help me learn to do the barbell moves for Stronglifts. Now I work on Stronglifts alone and I don't feel self conscious about it.

I see tons and tons of ladies on the weight machines, a good number using free weights, and occasionally a few lifting heavy. But all of the stuff is together, so you don't get a sense of us vs. them.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    MoreBean13 wrote: »

6. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing...
    ...but don't come back here and complain if you're oogled when you're wearing a bra and booty shorts.

This might have been said before, but things were great up until this. If a guy is going to be the sort to make comments and openly ogle a woman, it won't matter what she does. I get men staring at my chest regardless if I'm wearing a tight, low cut top or a baggy t-shirt, and I don't even have a big chest.

Tired of this rationale that women "ask for it" by dressing certain ways, especially coming from other women who make it plain that they must be jealous to even care.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with lifting with free weights is that 1) my squat form is horrible. I feel like I have no balance when trying to squat with the barbell, this embarrasses me. 2) I feel like I should be stronger than I actually am (ego), but I mentally smack myself and get over that.

Sometimes... I purposely throw myself into the mix of men who seem to be 'dominating' certain areas of the gym. Yeah. Because I've been waiting for them and their buddies to move and ten minutes later, they're still there... talking. It kind of grinds my gears.

Other than that, I'm fine.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    MoreBean13 wrote: »

6. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing...
    ...but don't come back here and complain if you're oogled when you're wearing a bra and booty shorts.

This might have been said before, but things were great up until this. If a guy is going to be the sort to make comments and openly ogle a woman, it won't matter what she does. I get men staring at my chest regardless if I'm wearing a tight, low cut top or a baggy t-shirt, and I don't even have a big chest.

Tired of this rationale that women "ask for it" by dressing certain ways, especially coming from other women who make it plain that they must be jealous to even care.

Completely agree!

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with lifting with free weights is that 1) my squat form is horrible. I feel like I have no balance when trying to squat with the barbell, this embarrasses me. 2) I feel like I should be stronger than I actually am (ego), but I mentally smack myself and get over that.

Sometimes... I purposely throw myself into the mix of men who seem to be 'dominating' certain areas of the gym. Yeah. Because I've been waiting for them and their buddies to move and ten minutes later, they're still there... talking. It kind of grinds my gears.

Other than that, I'm fine.

Have you tried goblet squats? I don't have a squat rack at my gym, so I had to settle for these. Before I started doing them, I could never get below parallel. They're pretty much foolproof. bodybuilding.com/fun/grab-sit-repeat-the-simple-power-of-the-goblet-squat.html
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Have you tried goblet squats? I don't have a squat rack at my gym, so I had to settle for these. Before I started doing them, I could never get below parallel. They're pretty much foolproof. bodybuilding.com/fun/grab-sit-repeat-the-simple-power-of-the-goblet-squat.html

I think I will try those instead. I just did Week 1, day 3 of SL 5x5 today and my balance is still just off. I feel myself pulling down on the barbell to remain upright, and I feel like my knees are extending too far. I am breaking parallel and going down to the floor, but I don't feel it in my legs, at all. My knees just felt uncomfortable. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try those goblin squats on Monday.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. Ignore everybody. 2. Lift.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Serious though, great post.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Great points. Yup, I am that "guy that looks at you in the free-weights section"... What am I doing? Looking to see what you are doing that I can incorporate into my routine. Yup. I have picked up on a couple of exercises that I now do that you taught me... and they ARE effective. Thanks.
  • deviiv
    deviiv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I see a trainer once a week to help me work on specific things, give me routines and make sure my technique is right. The other times I'm at the gym, I feel super confident as I stride past the cardio machines and into the free weight section. Whenever I need help or to ask for anything, the lads around are always happy to assist which is great.
  • Nana_nyc
    Nana_nyc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump great post
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The gym i go to yes has a ladies only room but most of the women use the main gym i have never seen any of them being treated any different then the men there