I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• Amandakm1985
    Amandakm1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ozwsv78r4ghy.jpg

Im that girl in the weight room too. I was so self conscious at first but I gradually got more and more comfortable and have definitely earned my spot. I had to let go of fear and realize I'm here for a goal not for anything else. I'm still working towards that goal!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Bumping because this thread is spot on. I've been lifting heavy (Stronglifts 5x5) for just a couple months now and I love it. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to get over my anxiety and give it a try.
  • FitCoachLinda
    FitCoachLinda Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well said! Thank you for posting this. I hope it will encourage more women to begin weightlifting.

I belong to a small gym, where we all work under the supervision of a strength coach. There are several women there – I aM not the only one – but we are in the minority. Maybe 20%. There are a few couples who train together, too. I have never had the sense there that it was "just for guys," and the men, some of whom are professional athletes, MMA fighters, and law enforcement or military, have been very welcoming and supportive. We share stories and challenges, and have become friends. No trouble with creepers, either, although that will be partly my attitude (it's just a body, and I'm there to take care of it), the fact that it is a small facility, and my age (53). Creepers tend to leave you alone at this age. One of the many benefits!

Something to add – a lot of the new guys are just as nervous and intimidated as you might be. Maybe more so! They can feel like there is some expectation that they should know what to do, or that they should just naturally be strong. I have seen very deconditioned and non-muscular guys come in, clearly uncomfortable. It is probably their first time working with weights, and they feel self-conscious, especially around all the "big, strong guys." A lot of people will be there because they feel self-conscious in some way, or getting over an injury, or trying to get into better shape. They are not all professional fitness models and Olympic lifters, and even those folks started somewhere. :-)

I highly recommend beginning with the trainer (after reading the suggested books!), so you have someone knowledgeable to help you with your form. I don't want to be doing things wrong and get yourself injured. Also, they can help you feel more comfortable, and introduce you to some of the regulars.

Just go. You'll thank yourself.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    At the Y, where I work out a lot, there are more women in the gym than at a commerial gym I used to go, although still more men. Also, there is a gym for older members as well, with what seems to be similar equipment. I'm not sure of the reason, although my particular Y has more older members than other locations in the city and the personal training office is up there.

I use the general gym, which is mixed in age and ability. I see men who are very beginners and women who are not. And the other way as well.

For women who are starting out, a good approach is to find a strength training fitness class, such as Shred, Body Pump, or something similar (the Y has non-branded strength classes). I started with Body Pump at NYSC and then a couple of different ones when I joined the Y. In a class you'll probably max out at about 12 and a half pounds in free weights. Body Pump uses a light bar with a variety of weights, but th max is 10lb and it's fast so after about 60lb over the two ends, it's not good for building strength.

At one point I could tell the class wasn't challenging me any longer, but I wasn't sure I'd like working out by myself because I like the social aspect. However, I discovered that a good playlist is not a bad subsitute for the class and the additional benefit is that you're not paying attention to the other people in the gym. :)

Sometimes it's the environment and sometimes it's the location. It's worth looking for a place you're comfortable in.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am one of the few women that lifts weights in the womens only gym and its really disappointing that there is really limited equipment. Tomorrow I'm starting at a new gym and yeah I am a bit nervous about it, even though I have good form and lift reasonably heavy have a solid program and been lifting since January. I'm taking a pt with me as some of the equipment is different.I just don't want to make a fool of myself.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Cheers Awesome post!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Glad this got bumped up a while back. A few months ago I started with a personal trainer for the sole purpose of strength training/lifting, to help me with form and so I could get comfortable in that corner of the gym. I'm on my own now and it's definitely easier. I do try to go during low traffic times, (and some of that is because I don't like people in general :smile: ) and I usually scope out who's using what first. There are only two squat racks. No comments, weird looks, unfriendliness. It's all in my little brain but I'm slowly pushing it out and enjoying this new part of getting fit.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You know this was what I needed today. I've been avoiding the weight room because I've gotten out of shape. Basically my pride has been keeping mee out because I used to be buff. It wasn't pretty but I just left the room after a full set and winding down on the tredmill. Thanks for the post. It gave me the kick in the *kitten* I needed
  • SnowballsMom805
    SnowballsMom805 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is awesome!
  • chantryharris
    chantryharris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It really is like that. My friend and I hit the free weights 5 days a week. We do get watched, but at the same time, we are shown respect. A lot of the guys ask tips or are in awe that we lift heavy. I find it motivating :)
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes! I totally agree with your post! Man think they "own" the free weight section of the gym! I used to get intimidated and felt very uncomfortable and felt all the "stares". Not anymore i go there with my headphones on and do what I came to do and not even make eye contact ! And yes I also agree with the booty shorts! Don't wear them and then complain!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    Yes yes and yes! I totally agree with your post! Man think they "own" the free weight section of the gym! I used to get intimidated and felt very uncomfortable and felt all the "stares". Not anymore i go there with my headphones on and do what I came to do and not even make eye contact ! And yes I also agree with the booty shorts! Don't wear them and then complain!

1491d100bfbac350a1316abb67fec4ac67fe870fadf1ee6a1bd51e798c46398c.jpg
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    BonyCastro wrote: »

1491d100bfbac350a1316abb67fec4ac67fe870fadf1ee6a1bd51e798c46398c.jpg

Exactly !!! Good one!
  • MrsWoelfel
    MrsWoelfel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Guys will be guys. If you get comfortable and know what you're doing and the correct form, then the only possible reason they stare is cause you're cute. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that. Go during off hours so it is less crowded or get a gym buddy. Also, make sure your workout pants are not see through when you bend over. Happened to me once
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 8 in the main gym (had been in a women's only previously).
    Best thing I did changing over. One of the young guys came up to me just before Xmas and commented on how much work I put in and the huge improvement in form in such a short time. You will be noticed just as you will probably notice them working hard or doing something different too. But really most of them are too busy doing their thing to care. As long as you don't take the rack they're using or drop the weights on the floor. Go in head held high like you own the place even if you want to run and hide. It does get better.
  • CaptianAmer
    CaptianAmer Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've worked out most of my life and powerlifting. Most guys that are serious lifters can be very helpful. Most don't mind helping or giving pointers. Now grant you there are always those guys that give us a bad name. But you normally can tell after talking to them. And most gyms have trainers or workers there that are willing to help out. So don't be intimidated! Even guys starting out working out are intimidated as well to be around a lot of men in the free weight area. Keep up the good work. 00---00
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Only 5 days till the anniversary of OP's death. RIP Beans :(
  • SnowballsMom805
    SnowballsMom805 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh thats so sad to hear! RIP Beans
  • mssheprunner332015
    Options
    Brill post! Looking for the boom now, thank.youc
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

We miss you Bean. Gone before your time. I'm sure you're still curling in that big rack in the sky

a4stlyk15py58w66n0pdtlpeo.500x203x9.gif