The thread killer, or ignored question...

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually was thinking about buying a food scale yesterday but didn't. It would be nice to weigh my meat because that is something I just guess on. Although a package of chicken breasts come with a weight so I normally just divide by the number of breasts... It has to be pretty accurate. Things like bananas, apples, I just log as a banana that I find in the database. Broccoli and rice I measure in cups, etc. meat is the main thing I would use a scale for.

Do you smash the broccoli so it fits in a cup? :)
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i weigh meat, cheese and potatoes not veg tho
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I would have to disagree with this. I am a mom of 7 children. I have lost the weight after each of them and never with the use of a food scale. It isn't a matter of laziness, but of reality. If I am going to get 7 children fed, I don't have time to measure out and weigh each item I am eating and then record it, etc. I do use a measuring cup for pasta which I love, but most things I give a close guess and err on the side of caution. If you use a food scale and it has helped you then great, but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't do what you do is lazy. :flowerforyou:

Nobody with 7 kids is ever gonna be lazy... Must be a lovely chaos, though:flowerforyou:

I wouldn't trade it for the world!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I have been successful so far without the use of a scale.
    I have one to avoid being a "why am I not losing weight / inches / whatever posters"

I have been drinking rum this evening so please enjoy this cat gif sponsored by me:

fZ4aJ.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have been successful so far without the use of a scale.
    I have one to avoid being a "why am I not losing weight / inches / whatever posters"

I have been drinking rum this evening so please enjoy this cat gif sponsored by me:

fZ4aJ.gif

*snicker* I had rum tonight too. :wink:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    I dont measure broccoli in a cup so cant answer how you would do it - but I think broccoli is such a low calorie food that you would have to be out by a long way for it to be significant - if your cup measurement is not 100% accurate, I dont think it would really matter.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I actually was thinking about buying a food scale yesterday but didn't. It would be nice to weigh my meat because that is something I just guess on. Although a package of chicken breasts come with a weight so I normally just divide by the number of breasts... It has to be pretty accurate. Things like bananas, apples, I just log as a banana that I find in the database. Broccoli and rice I measure in cups, etc. meat is the main thing I would use a scale for.

Yes. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever understand this. How do you measure broccoli in a fukcing cup?

Who would even want to? So much easier to weigh. :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Nope. Didn't see the thread, but when someone posts re: stalling or regaining, one of the most common and first-asked questions is "are you weighing your food to ensure accurate measurement?"

So, observationally, yes. Most MFP folks are weighing their food.

Not even close. The people giving out that advice are a vocal minority.

I agree.

I think we all have different levels of accuracy that satisfy us.

For me, I feel like eyeballing it works. My husband and I are both cooks and bakers, in fact he's better at cooking than I am...but I think I have a better "eyeballing" skill. The other night he said there were 2 cups of beans in our bowls and I laughingly said, nope, 1 cup. He measured the ladle used and it was exactly 1/2 cup, so I was exactly correct. Sure I am not 100% accurate all of the time, but I'm pretty decent at it and that means accurate enough for me.

I wouldn't want to get too attached to weighing everything because it would cause me a lot more anxiety eating in restaurants. I don't want that. I want to feel relatively 'normal' even though I do plan to log for many years to come as I maintain after reaching my goal.

I also would never weigh peanut butter. WTF.

That said, the only way I'd consider weighing all of my food is if I found myself unhappily plateauing at 190-200 lb. I want to be 180 or below. I don't see that happening, but who knows.

Peanut butter is very dense, and even a little off is a huge calorie difference. Your reaction to that is weird. There are something's I may not be as picky about, but peanut butter is always weighed because as I said, it's calorie laden in very small amounts. Even being a little off in the measurement is a huge calorie difference.

Pasta is another one where I think a serving is really three. I have to measure pasta. No choice or I will over eat. While one serving of pasta is stupid, because it's so small, it helps to drive home why we are so fat as a nation. When I go to a restaurant, the serving is probably for 5. It's gross, to be honest. And, to think I never thought anything about it and thought those portions were normal. It wasn't until I traveled heavily internationally that I learned that America is a bunch of pigs when it comes to food. That's when I started dialing things back a notch.

My hats off to you though on your measuring skills. I can't do that. I've experimented a lot and decided I just don't know jack *kitten* amount portions. I've tried guess the weight of various meats, or looking at a thing of rice and trying to guess a serving and be hugely off. I can never guess with any accuracy at all. So, I stick to what works, I weigh and measure everything.

I thought about the peanut butter thing. I'm guessing you would weigh the spoon it's in, then the spoonful? That would make sense. I was all "wtf" because my non-weighing brain was picturing someone stacking the mushy sticky peanut butter on a scale like they stack sliced meat at the deli. Then having to scrape it off. LOL
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Yes. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever understand this. How do you measure broccoli in a fukcing cup?

Who would even want to? So much easier to weigh. :smile:

I've never found a weigh thingy for it in the database. It's all in cups. Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, all of it, in fukcing cups.

Seriously, type in 'broccoli grams'. It's the second one - I go with the the raw steamed. In in 100g portions. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Nope. Didn't see the thread, but when someone posts re: stalling or regaining, one of the most common and first-asked questions is "are you weighing your food to ensure accurate measurement?"

So, observationally, yes. Most MFP folks are weighing their food.

Not even close. The people giving out that advice are a vocal minority.

I agree.

I think we all have different levels of accuracy that satisfy us.

For me, I feel like eyeballing it works. My husband and I are both cooks and bakers, in fact he's better at cooking than I am...but I think I have a better "eyeballing" skill. The other night he said there were 2 cups of beans in our bowls and I laughingly said, nope, 1 cup. He measured the ladle used and it was exactly 1/2 cup, so I was exactly correct. Sure I am not 100% accurate all of the time, but I'm pretty decent at it and that means accurate enough for me.

I wouldn't want to get too attached to weighing everything because it would cause me a lot more anxiety eating in restaurants. I don't want that. I want to feel relatively 'normal' even though I do plan to log for many years to come as I maintain after reaching my goal.

I also would never weigh peanut butter. WTF.

That said, the only way I'd consider weighing all of my food is if I found myself unhappily plateauing at 190-200 lb. I want to be 180 or below. I don't see that happening, but who knows.

Peanut butter is very dense, and even a little off is a huge calorie difference. Your reaction to that is weird. There are something's I may not be as picky about, but peanut butter is always weighed because as I said, it's calorie laden in very small amounts. Even being a little off in the measurement is a huge calorie difference.

Pasta is another one where I think a serving is really three. I have to measure pasta. No choice or I will over eat. While one serving of pasta is stupid, because it's so small, it helps to drive home why we are so fat as a nation. When I go to a restaurant, the serving is probably for 5. It's gross, to be honest. And, to think I never thought anything about it and thought those portions were normal. It wasn't until I traveled heavily internationally that I learned that America is a bunch of pigs when it comes to food. That's when I started dialing things back a notch.

My hats off to you though on your measuring skills. I can't do that. I've experimented a lot and decided I just don't know jack *kitten* amount portions. I've tried guess the weight of various meats, or looking at a thing of rice and trying to guess a serving and be hugely off. I can never guess with any accuracy at all. So, I stick to what works, I weigh and measure everything.

I thought about the peanut butter thing. I'm guessing you would weigh the spoon it's in, then the spoonful? That would make sense. I was all "wtf" because my non-weighing brain was picturing someone stacking the mushy sticky peanut butter on a scale like they stack sliced meat at the deli. Then having to scrape it off. LOL

Yes, I weigh the spoon, then scoop out the peanut butter and weigh that. I have to usually, put some back in the jar because I always scoop too much.

I put my bread on the scale, zero it out, then swipe on the PB. Makes a mess though...
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    two years ago I lost 20 pounds with no food scale. eyeballing and measuring worked just fine for me.

^^^^^ this!! I don't weigh anything-- eye balling has lost me 63.6 lbs :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    <<<<> even weighs prepackaged food.

Because often it is wrong

Yep! Well, most of them. I haven't weighed my quest bars. Maybe I should. Forget yogurts though... too much a pain.
    I always weigh Quest bars. It's very rare for them to actually weigh 60g. They can vary as much as 10g either way, which is a huge difference.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Weigh the peanut butter container before you take some out and then after--digital scale--works like a charm--for jelly too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Yeah, what a condescending jerk.

Thankyou for that wonderfully profound contribution to the debate...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    <<<<> even weighs prepackaged food.

Because often it is wrong

Yep! Well, most of them. I haven't weighed my quest bars. Maybe I should. Forget yogurts though... too much a pain.
    I always weigh Quest bars. It's very rare for them to actually weigh 60g. They can vary as much as 10g either way, which is a huge difference.

Shoot. Thanks. Will do that.

Ok yeah my 190 calorie bar was really 203 calories. Ouch. I think I'm going to slow down on those.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I understand that it's important to be as accurate as possible when measuring your food, but at the same time weighing everything out just seems a little bit obsessive to me.

If I wasn't losing weight in the way I expected to, I would maybe consider it, but seeing as I'm losing/maintaining weight at the same rate at which MFP predicts I am, I don't feel the need to check the weight of what I am eating.