Small Rant: Pillsbury, really?!

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Now I'm getting Pillsbury ads and I wanna try those buffalo chicken pinwheels.... :bigsmile:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    When you load a page such as a discussion board on this site, the reason it doesn't load instantaneously is that the page is being sent out for "bidding" to numerous sites, along with whatever info they can glean from your browsing history that might be attractive to potential advertisers. The ad site that bids the highest for the space gets it and then the banner ad they send is downloaded. Amazing and creepy at the same time.

I get a weird mix of ads since all my visits to financial sites, especially clicking on articles relating to planning for retirement, indicate that I'm older, but I also post on FaceBook about sprint triathlons and 50K bike rides. So, sometimes I get ads for walk-in bathtubs and sometimes for athletic wear.

As for Pillsbury- easy for me to ignore. I'm not tempted by the over-processed, chemical-laden versions of desserts. When I do enjoy something with half an inch of frosting on it, it's from a place that I know didn't load it with additives that will leave a greasy chemical aftertaste.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    t5333082-179-thumb-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg.png

Mmmmmm... Greasy Chemical Aftertaste
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    the mini pot pies looked damn delicious. i dont think pillsbury makes GF free dough though :cry:

They make gluten-free pie crust, pizza crust, and cookie dough. :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    When you load a page such as a discussion board on this site, the reason it doesn't load instantaneously is that the page is being sent out for "bidding" to numerous sites, along with whatever info they can glean from your browsing history that might be attractive to potential advertisers. The ad site that bids the highest for the space gets it and then the banner ad they send is downloaded. Amazing and creepy at the same time.

I get a weird mix of ads since all my visits to financial sites, especially clicking on articles relating to planning for retirement, indicate that I'm older, but I also post on FaceBook about sprint triathlons and 50K bike rides. So, sometimes I get ads for walk-in bathtubs and sometimes for athletic wear.

As for Pillsbury- easy for me to ignore. I'm not tempted by the over-processed, chemical-laden versions of desserts. When I do enjoy something with half an inch of frosting on it, it's from a place that I know didn't load it with additives that will leave a greasy chemical aftertaste.

My husband, who has never had a weight problem or any real health problems, enjoys when I make the occasional chemical laden version of desserts for him. Because, you know, moderation and stuff.

But hey, enjoy being fancy.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    t5333082-179-thumb-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg.png

Mmmmmm... Greasy Chemical Aftertaste

Did I mention how much I adore you, Sloth?
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am on MFP pretty constantly throughout the day and I can not tell you how many pillsbury recipes I am drooling over because of the constant rotating ads! Cudos to pillsbury, I studied marketing for a bit in college and I can see every reason in the world why this makes sense for them, but seriously?!! SERIOUSLY?!

What I've noticed is that the ads are related to things that I had recently looked up...kind of freaky big brotherish... for example, I looked at holiday flights and then the next time I logged on I saw ads for THAT EXACT SAME VACATION spot that I was checking out...same with theater tickets, really??? for the same show??? That's like, really disturbing... So, look up some cool websites (other than Pillsbury) and then see what happens!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury isn't doing anything wrong. If you want to complain to someone, complain to MFP for making ka-ching off of the tempting ads - if there's any hypocrisy in action here, that's where it lies!
    I agree.... but it is free... they got to make money somewhere...
  • sloth3toes
    Options

My husband, enjoys when I make the occasional chemical laden version of desserts for him.

I'm a little scared.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4474-1372788438-18.gif
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    The ads are based off your recent internet search history.

This! My ads are about shoes (because I was just searching for shoes online).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^ this... they're targetted ads.... MFP doesn't control them. They're based on what you search for, what kinds of sites you usually look at and in some cases simply your age and location.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I am on MFP pretty constantly throughout the day and I can not tell you how many pillsbury recipes I am drooling over because of the constant rotating ads! Cudos to pillsbury, I studied marketing for a bit in college and I can see every reason in the world why this makes sense for them, but seriously?!! SERIOUSLY?!

What I've noticed is that the ads are related to things that I had recently looked up...kind of freaky big brotherish... for example, I looked at holiday flights and then the next time I logged on I saw ads for THAT EXACT SAME VACATION spot that I was checking out...same with theater tickets, really??? for the same show??? That's like, really disturbing... So, look up some cool websites (other than Pillsbury) and then see what happens!

yep ads do this nowadays

I have an adblocker on my browser so I don't see any of them
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    This! My ads are about shoes because I am a woman

Fixed it for ya. :wink:
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

get this and ads will go away
  • DamePiglet
    Options

My husband, enjoys when I make the occasional chemical laden version of desserts for him.

I'm a little scared.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4474-1372788438-18.gif

A giant pot ain't a great place to hide on MFP right now. Lots of hangry resolutioners looking for fresh, low carb, paleo ingredients.

No need to fear me. I'm IIFYM.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Ahhh! That explains it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Laughing because I'm getting the Pillsbury adds too. The croissant taco bake looks delicious :laugh:

It's my fault though, I had cinnamon rolls a week ago.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just download adblock. Problem solved. Or quit searching for stuff online that you don't want to see an ad for later.