Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @robertrau I am ALWAYS up on my days off. Although with this overtime I am wondering what a 'day off' really is.

@sufferlandrian I have always spayed/neutered my animals and it is my understanding it can help the animal live longer as well. I love all my furry companions! My dog Tessa has taken to following me and laying on the bed and watching me work out. I like to think she is giving me moral support.

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    She's thinking, "Come on Mom! Just one more! You can do it!" :smile:
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    She's thinking, "Come on Mom! Just one more! You can do it!" :smile:

My mutt lies there barking at me....can workout with him there....he is like "stop that...come love me instead...much better"....he is a lazy thing....especially now he is old.......lol.........
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    <- this pic is of our new puppy. She's a beagle/german shepard mix. She's 14 weeks now, and was from the local humane society, like all of our previous pets (except the conure). Just thought I'd share some happy puppy love :-)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    <--- My latest hiking buddy. She got the end of her jaw shot of when her owner was killed. I put it back together and now she lives at my house. :smile:
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    robertrau wrote: »
    Who's on a day off but still up all night?

On a night off over here. Not checking in very much. Have had an ongoing migraine for last 12hrs so I'm trying to sleep while my little one does in an attempt to sleep it off but I'm still up every few hours.

That's a lot of money for the surgery for the poor pup....def wouldn't afford that on my budget. Hello pet insurance. We've always spayed/neutered any we adopted or fostered. We weren't breeding so there was no reason not to. Glad they're doing well so far. And hope everyone is having a good shift/coming to the end of it!!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It slowed down but now it's time to do records. Wish I could pay someone to do them for me. :laugh:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian She got her JAW SHOT OFF?! WTF?!

Glad she is with you now and she looks EXTREMELY happy.

When we got Sandi at the Humane Society they told us there was evidence that she was previously abused. Now the only abuse she gets is she is 'forced' to take glucosamine supplements for her joints. Her little story sheet said she wasn't 'food motivated' and I've never met a more food motivated dog in my life. She'll do damn near anything for any kind of food.

When we got Tessa, she wasn't spayed, had ear mites, and a mild case of kennel cough. I had to wait a week to take her home. The look on her face as they dragged her back to her kennel after we were done in the 'meeting room' she looked so alone and abandoned. I don't think she expected me to come back. When I did she was SO happy and whining and wagging her tail. Then, we got in the car and she was TERRIFIED. Just laid there shaking the whole ride home while my boyfriend at the time held her.

Now both of these dogs love car rides. If you even say the WORDS they start acting NUTS!

Words that can NOT be said in my house:

Car Ride
    Treat
    Hot Dog
    Walk
    Exercise(synonymous with 'Walk')
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The owner was having an affair with the neighbors wife. When the husband found out he got his AK-47 and unloaded into the house shooting the dog and killing the owner. Now the husband is in jail and the dog is probably in my bed right now. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian Wow.... AK is total overkill. That was really nothing a .45 couldn't fix. Could probably get all up close and personal with it and miss the dog completely!

I understand the rage, but to be so reckless and to hurt an innocent animal in the process? Jail is too good for him.

I bet that doggy LOVES YOU! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Were there any complications putting her back together? How great was the risk of infection? How did she eat during that time? How long was her recovery?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    She did very well. She has no teeth on the end of the lower jaw. We couldn't save those and there is a patch of skin at the end of the lower jaw that the hair didn't grow back. She can't play with a tennis ball because she doesn't have lower incisors or lower canine teeth to grab it. She had to eat soft food for about a month. Now she eats anything. She hikes and runs and chases squirrels and just has a great time running when I bike trails or when we go hiking with the boys. She is living the dogs life right now. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    OK, I'm adding Renal failure (Kidney Failure) to my list of diseases that suck.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    dude, i have to say, that you even have such a list, I don't envy your job.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    dude, i have to say, that you even have such a list, I don't envy your job.

@sufferlandrian I second this. However, @belimawr , it is a list of diseases in general that suck. Anyone can make a list of diseases that they find particularly sucky.

Cancer is at the top of mine. Renal failure seems like it would suck. Lyme disease, severe allergies to common things, ALS, these things suck.

I am DEATHLY allergic to fire ants. As few as 3 stings from ONE ant could kill me. I live in Texas and fire ants are everywhere. I can't wear sandles or go barefoot in the grass anymore. I can't roll in the grass anymore. I miss being able to play out in nature without a care in the world. :bawling:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Night shift is great because I deal with so few people.

However, we have EVERYONE who was on call tonight, here.... Rhesus monkey emergency! >.<
    Silly juvenile got his arm stuck and we had to dismantle a WHOLE CAGE just to get it UNstuck....

Physical Plant is here, Sergeant is here, Dr. Ruiz is here, Dr. Baze is on his way, 2 different supervisory vet techs are here... So much for my 'quiet night'.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So much for your quiet night. :smile:

@belimawr - Nights like tonight suck, but tomorrow I may save a really bad one and I'll feel like I could take on King Kong so it will all even out. The problem with your job is that when you do very good, no one notices. When you make a mistake, everyone notices. I'll take mine with it's ups and downs. :wink:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Well, we got him out and he is okay. His arm is a little swollen but it's not bad and his face is a little scratched up. He should be fine. The BIG problem was that, because he was stuck and made cries for help, all the other juveniles with him circled around him to try and protect him. They were displaying some dominate, aggressive behaviors(baring teeth, rocking up and down), and some seemed ready to bite.

However, no humans were harmed in the rescuing of the monkey. All monkeys are safe, accounted for, and everything should be back to normal at this time.

PEANUT BUTTER AND SEEDS FOR EVERYONE!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sounds like working on Buffalo. Glad every one is OK. :smile: Well I'm off to try and see if I'm healed from my week of cage rest. See you guys in an hour.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    40 minutes on the bike was all I could handle. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and that seemed to help loosen things up.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The problem with your job is that when you do very good, no one notices. When you make a mistake, everyone notices. I'll take mine with it's ups and downs. :wink:

Yeah, well, in NYC gov't jobs, you truly are a number... so yeah that is an apt description... anyway... hope your night wasn't so bad. Hope you truly don't have to take on King Kong though.

I bought a bike last year for the first time in twenty years, been taking it out and still learning how to make adjustments... I see you bike, how are you with the mechanical aspects? Can you recommend any good resources for learning?

As a teen you just get on and ride leave the rest to the 'rents. Now... if I don't do it the chain slips and I bust my rear. ;)