Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,216 Member
    Options
    Yep. Sorry. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Darigold Refuel works pretty good.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Sounds like a plan. :smile:

I know I'm totally having 2 eggs scrambled and some peanut butter toast when I get home though. I got it pre-logged and everything! :grin:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I guess it is like wearing a bra, wearing spanx, wearing a corset, wearing a thong, waxing body/facial hair, plucking your brows, tattoos etc. You get desensitized to that kind of stuff. When you first do any of that stuff...it is weird and/or painful/uncomfortable but you get used to it after awhile.

So I have to WEAR my heels often to get accustomed to the pain so that I don't feel it as much.

Like walking around for 16-18 hours working as a waitress. A few weeks in, I couldn't even feel my feet until I got off them at the end of the day. :blush:

You wore heels while waiting tables? Holy crap...I would die...or end up in the ER!

• BodyByBex
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I guess it is like wearing a bra, wearing spanx, wearing a corset, wearing a thong, waxing body/facial hair, plucking your brows, tattoos etc. You get desensitized to that kind of stuff. When you first do any of that stuff...it is weird and/or painful/uncomfortable but you get used to it after awhile.

So I have to WEAR my heels often to get accustomed to the pain so that I don't feel it as much.

Like walking around for 16-18 hours working as a waitress. A few weeks in, I couldn't even feel my feet until I got off them at the end of the day. :blush:

You wore heels while waiting tables? Holy crap...I would die...or end up in the ER!

No! Oh man...no....*shivers* I just walked a LOT more than I was ever used to so my feet would hurt initially and then eventually I wouldn't feel them until I took my shoes off at the end of the shift...Although now they have these low heeled cowboy boots that I would LOVE to wear waiting tables now! Oh how I miss Texas Roadhouse... :cry:

y5vkusplf0a9.jpg

ETA: Some girls at Harrigan's wore heels but they didn't do as much sidework from what I understand and had tray runners. At TRH we ran our own food and did sidework male or female.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

I know I'm totally having 2 eggs scrambled and some peanut butter toast when I get home though. I got it pre-logged and everything! :grin:

Skip the toast and go for three eggs. The extra protein won't be converted to fat while you sleep like the toast will. When you sleep your body puts everything into the parasympathetic nervous system. That means your digestion runs at full tilt. Carbs and fats get processed faster and stored quicker. Proteins do as well but they can't be converted to fat like carbs and lipids can.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

Skip the toast and go for three eggs. The extra protein won't be converted to fat while you sleep like the toast will. When you sleep your body puts everything into the parasympathetic nervous system. That means your digestion runs at full tilt. Carbs and fats get processed faster and stored quicker. Proteins do as well but they can't be converted to fat like carbs and lipids can.

Thanks.

I can't wait to tell my father I am getting all of my diet advice from a veterinarian! :grin:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Well. So my breakfast attendant calls and says she will be a little late, her van isn't working and she has to get a ride to go get her car in storage. She shows up, heads over to the breakfast room. A few minutes later, a dude walks in and I see him head over to breakfast. I figured it was one of her kids or something. A couple minutes go by and I hear her call my name, sounding slighly panicked...then "call the police". So I do. Apparently he was her ex and he is trying to take her car and the motorcycle she bought for him (but all are in her name). She thinks he tampered with her van, that is why that wouldn't start. He grabbed her neck and threatened her. While I was on the phone, he walked out to the car and started rummaging around. He then walked off, to where I don't know. I later learned he left on the motorcycle he arrived on. But while he was out there in the car...I was freaking a bit. You hear stories of domestic violence spilling into the work place...women and their co-workers getting shot by and ex-nutjob...

Here is the thing. I carry a knife for personal protection. I understand a knife can only do so much, but it is better than nothing. We live in IL and after they started to allow concealed carry, my fiance bought a gun. Prior to him purchasing it, he asked how I felt about it. I told him I wasn't really ok with having a gun in the house with a kid in the house. He assured me he'd buy a safe, etc. On one hand I think, well, of course it would go in a safe. The other hand...wtf good is it going to do in a safe in a closet when someone comes into our house in the middle of the night? After talking about it, I realized he is more concerned with some huge "apocolyptic" thing, invasion from another country or civil war breaking out or something like that. Ok....makes sense. A little far-fetched, but I understand where he is coming from. He is the man of the family and if our country was suddenly a very dangerous place to live, he'd want to be able to protect his family. He bought the gun and told me after the fact that he had. I wasn't thrilled and he is aware of that. I'm so torn...I hate that there is so much gun violence in our country, I hate that the US has SO MANY guns, I hate the argument about "guns don't shoot people, people shoot people"...PEOPLE still DIE either way...I don't really want ANYONE to have them except hunters but it seems stupid for the good people NOT to be able to protect themselves from the bad people who already have weapons. So torn.

I've had a handful of experiences in the last year or so that scared me. A weird guy walking around my kid's school with no children of his own, a guy in Wal-Mart walking very fast and weird looking in all black, with a black trench coat (I told security to watch him, he freaked me out so much...very suspicious). Just the other day I was in the mall...nothing happened...but I worried...what if somone started shooting all of a sudden? Having a kiddo makes me worry about this shizz. I'm not one that anyone would call paranoid but I hate feeling so vulnerable in situations.

For the first time today, it made me wonder...SHOULD I carry? I'm like 90% a no. I would carry in my purse, which has so many drawbacks. Getting your purse taken...no weapon instantly. I can't ever set my purse down, at a park, at home without fear of the wrong person getting to it. Dropping it and accidentally firing. But I THOUGHT about it. That scares me. But so does being in a situation where my kid and I could end up dead and I could have possibly prevented it...

I hope this doesn't spark some civil war in this thread...people are very passionate on their views regarding this. Let's all agree to disagree if you choose to voice your opinion. I just had to get it off my chest right now...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Thanks.

I can't wait to tell my father I am getting all of my diet advice from a veterinarian! :grin:

LOL. :laugh:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius - That's just scary! The fact that he didn't break it off when she said to call the cops makes me think he is not afraid to try something else. Watch yourself.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Well, in the 2 months I've been at my current job, I've had to call the police twice, and had to kick a homeless guy out of my lobby who asked if he could come home with me. I had a guy check in last night who told me 3 different people aksed him for a ride while he was working on his truck nearby, and my coworker had a rando ask her boyfriend for a ride in our parking lot when he dropped her off at 7is am. I also had 2 guy super shady looking guys come in claiming they were going to visit their friend, but went directly to the vending machine, and when questioned, couldn't remember their "friends" room number.

All that to say, I feel like I have good reason to pursue a concealed carry license, which is legal where I am, and to have a gun on my person (as soon as I can afford to buy one). I don't like the idea of having it in my purse, too many variables. I do carry a pocket knife. Mostly as a tool, but I would not hesitate to use it as a weapon in a pinch.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian is right I'm his assuming that if he didn't stop and leave immediately at 'call the police' he very well may come back and do worse.

Your fear and instincts are pretty good @Frankie_Felinius but if you are 90% a no on CC for yourself then don't. On that note, when he was rummaging in his vehicle would have been a great time to run/hide somewhere.
    The best way to keep yourself and your child(had she been there) alive in any dangerous situation is not necessarily a gun. Your mind is the greatest weapon you have. Your mind picks up on things that you might not initially realize are important and fear, real and true fear, will help you escape life threatening situations.

The kind of fear where your body says "just do as I say and everything will be fine." It's almost automatic and feels afterwards like an out of body experience almost. I won't bore you with the details but listening to myself in that way has saved my life a few times.

So just trust you. I'm not allowed to carry at work but I work with people mere footsteps away who wear a badge and carry on and off duty. I FEEL safe but I'm also aware that nowadays, wearing that blue uniform puts a big target on their backs. That makes me angry and sad. :angry:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    @lilaclovebird -super legit advice. @Frankie_Felinius -if you don't feel comfortable with a gun, then you probably shouldn't get one.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Puppies with broken legs and concussions are never a good thing. Add an owner that has Zero money and it really rips at my heart strings. We'll do what we can and hope for the best.
  • poppymom23
    poppymom23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did night shifts for 4 years before becoming disabled by MS. Remember to take care of yourself while working those nights. They are hard on your body. I truly believe that I developed MS because it was the only way my body was going to slow down (I know that isn't very scientific of me).
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Yikes, sounds like you guys had some drama. That sucks. I agree, if you aren't comfy with a firearm, then don't carry one.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius -Having carried a gun on my hip for the last 20 years, I will tell you this. If you want to get a gun, take the time to go to a range and rent one to shoot prior to purchasing. This will tell you if you can even handle the mechanics of a gun. If you decide to make a purchase, make sure to take the appropriate shooting classes to give you the skills necessary to use the thing. You need to know about yourself, can you take the life of someone else if they are trying to hurt you or someone near you? You need to take into account your surrounding, is there a school behind the bad guy or a brick wall? There are a lot of things that go into carrying concealed, and just because you have a gun does not give you a right to pull it out any time you want. It takes discipline and constant awareness, don't be a sheep, always be aware of your surroundings. Feel free to hit me up if I can assist. Thank you @lilaclovebird ,police and security are targets now days and its horrible. Its so unfortunate.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    tk6299 wrote: »
    @Frankie_Felinius -Having carried a gun on my hip for the last 20 years, I will tell you this. If you want to get a gun, take the time to go to a range and rent one to shoot prior to purchasing. This will tell you if you can even handle the mechanics of a gun. If you decide to make a purchase, make sure to take the appropriate shooting classes to give you the skills necessary to use the thing. You need to know about yourself, can you take the life of someone else if they are trying to hurt you or someone near you? You need to take into account your surrounding, is there a school behind the bad guy or a brick wall? There are a lot of things that go into carrying concealed, and just because you have a gun does not give you a right to pull it out any time you want. It takes discipline and constant awareness, don't be a sheep, always be aware of your surroundings. Feel free to hit me up if I can assist. Thank you @lilaclovebird ,police and security are targets now days and its horrible. Its so unfortunate.

First bolded: THIS is legit advice right here. Maim or seriously injure? I could totally do that. Kill? Not unless they had already done harm to me or someone I love. Then look the &*@# out! Anything is a deadly weapon if you have some ingenuity. :naughty:

Second bolded: I am SUPER proud of those who open carry(available in some states) and get harassed and don't lose their smurf on the person. Their patience and calm in those situations is amazing.

Third bolded: I am SO proud of the police/security officers who have that fear now in the back of their minds but NEVER let it stop them from trying to help people. Ya'll are outstanding. :wink:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You know you don't have to carry a gun to kill or stop someone. Self Defense classes are great alternatives to carrying a weapon and your enemy can't turn it on you or take it away from you. Having said that, I pity the person who threatens my family in my own home. I'll bury them head deep and go get the fire ants myself, just like my ancestors would have done. :wink:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm so glad we could all be adult about this! I was half expecting (and hoping for the opposite) some really *kitten* responses...not necessarily from the regulars...but...lurkers.

I don't really think I'd ever actually carry a gun. I know me. I'm a panicker (sp?) and I could think of a MILLION wrong things I'd do. It just hit me hard that I even considered it...not that I haven't before but this particular situation...like I said...you hear about the same situation all the time. TBH...I'm a bipolar...I've struggled with depression since 19...the thought of potentially losing my life...if I didn't have a kid...isn't that scary. I'm always in a rush to get everything over with...part of me just wants everything (life) to hurry up and be done. This life has exhausted me already and I'm only 33. I'm not suicidal, so don't think that...and if I saw a bus coming at me while crossing the street, I'd surely jump out of the way...but most of my life...I've wished I wasn't here. It is a very odd feeling...a very stuck feeling. I digress. Where I was going with that is now that I HAVE a child that I need to protect...the thought of being in a situation where having a gun could prevent violence to my child or take me from her...but not having one and one of us ends up hurt or dead or kidnapped...I couldn't live with myself. Would I be effed mentally (more than I already am) if I killed someone? Sure. I would be. So where does that leave me? Ugh. What a pickle.

@lilaclovebird I'd agree that some peoples' mind is their greatest weapon...but not me. (I'm not saying a weapon weapon is the greatest either). I panic. I'm also stuck between a weird place of "no will to live" and "can't leave that tater tot momless". My fiance is the kind of person that would fight until every ounce of anything was gone if his life was in danger...parent or not. I just don't have that in me. I cross the Mississippi at least twice a day and sometimes you get stuck on bridges. While stuck on a bridge over frigid water, I thought about what would happen if it collapsed. Most everyone would start to swim to shore once their car hit the water. I swear, if I wasn't a parent...you'd find me hitting the seat lever and laying back...trying to relax into the iciness. Trying to save myself seems like too much work. Or I kid that if I had to breathe on purpose...like if it wasn't involuntary and I had to try...I'd never make it...I'd just give up. But again...now that I'm a parent...I have this side of me that obviously wants to survive for her...but I still suck at survival...which isn't good for anyone.

(I apologize in advance for the lenghty/potentially depressing post.)