Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    So I had a super fun dream today that someone interviewed me on video, then showed the video to a large group of people, including myself, and in the video I looked like I weighed about 300 lbs, and I was horrified.

But then you woke up & it totally isn't true!

(Must have been my fiance filming the video...he has a reeeeeeal way with unflattering angles... :| )
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    First Christmas I'm actually not looking forward to. Gift giving is actually quite stressful. I never know what to get anyone. I usually do pretty good, but this year was terrible.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,216 Member
    Options
    My dad used to give his sisters things like pocket knives because he knew they wouldn't use them and he would eventually end up with them. He stopped after one year when he got pantyhose. :laugh:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So my coworker Jeanette is claiming she hurt her back while moving. Totally plausible. I decided to let it go. Fine.

She mentioned her doctor sorting out her thyroid meds and I said "Hey you should join MFP and start logging your food so you can get in the habit and start losing weight."

She then tells me that logging and counting calories is "too hard".
    Then when I tell her about the app and how you can scan prepackaged food and how easy it is, she says that she gained weight because she is not moving enough(this is a fair argument) and she is not eating enough.

When I mentioned some of the things she eats, like a two foot long sub sandwich meant to feed a family of four and a 3 serving size bag of cheese puffs she said that when she eats like that, that it will be the only thing she eats all day. She doesn't drink more than 4 Cokes in a day and doesn't put "that much" creamer in her coffee.

She said she just needs to walk more and take her meds and she'll lose the weight.
    I told her exercising helps but it isn't required to lose weight and then she proceeded to tell me that I don't understand and it was the exact same way with her ex-husband after he had back surgery. He just sat around and didn't eat enough and wasn't very active anymore.

I tried telling her, it is SCIENCE. You just need a caloric deficit to lose weight and the best way to get one is to simply eat less calories than your boy uses up on a day to day basis.
    She is INSISTENT on this idea that she doesn't eat very much at all and that combined with little to no exercise is how she gained 130 pounds.

There are people in this world that are this stupid, and they are among us....
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    That kind of willfull ignorance to me is just astounding. Especially when I am sitting here at 166.4 pounds, 53.6 pounds down from when this woman FIRST MET ME, and I'm WALKING, LIVING PROOF that it WORKS and it's EASY.

Horse to water and all that.

I hope her FMLA gets denied and she gets her 6 counts of attendance violations and her 3 negative PBNs.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I bet she isn't REALLY that stupid. I bet there is a lot of denial going on. Many of us that have had or currently have weight issues...KNOW why they are fat deep down, it is just easier to blame everything but the true issues. And it IS hard, everybody knows that. No one wants to do things the hard way. It is scary and daunting and uncomfortable.

I've been there. It sucks and it is sad. I'm no picture of health by any means but I'm no longer in denial about why I'm overweight. I guess that is even more sad. I know damn well what I should be doing, I just continually choose not to. Not because I'm stupid...but because I let my emotions/desires get the best of me. I'd rather feel pleasure and gratification than discomfort. That is human nature. Some just have a tougher time than others (or some have this issue at one point in their life and learn to manage them) getting things under control and some never control it. Then my "smart" brain beats my "impulsive" brain up about making "stupid" choices.

I bet ol' Jeanette has a lot of inner turmoil about her choices and the lies she tells herself (and others)...or she is just plain stupid. That is very likely too!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    That kind of willfull ignorance to me is just astounding. Especially when I am sitting here at 166.4 pounds, 53.6 pounds down from when this woman FIRST MET ME, and I'm WALKING, LIVING PROOF that it WORKS and it's EASY.

I hope her FMLA gets denied and she gets her 6 counts of attendance violations and her 3 negative PBNs.

There are plenty of times the "old" you didn't think this was easy though...don't forget those times...and don't forget the you that got yourself to 220lbs. She wasn't stupid. She had a lot of issues. And she was a robust gal of what, early 20s? Imagine being a (how old is Jeanette?) worn down, fat lady of _______ years old and feeling defeated.

Just because some hot young 20 something says it is easy...doesn't make it easy for her.

I'm not making excuses for her or fat people...but you know what I'm trying to get across...

• Frankie_Felinius
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I totally get your frustration...her lifestyle choices impact your life in a way they shouldn't...it just sounds out of character for you to not understand that it probably isn't so cut and dried that she just isn't smart enough to do what it takes to be healthier. The huge majority of people aren't too stupid to get healthier, just a lot of emotional issues...
  • BodyByBex
    Options

There are plenty of times the "old" you didn't think this was easy though...don't forget those times...and don't forget the you that got yourself to 220lbs. She wasn't stupid. She had a lot of issues. And she was a robust gal of what, early 20s? Imagine being a (how old is Jeanette?) worn down, fat lady of _______ years old and feeling defeated.

Just because some hot young 20 something says it is easy...doesn't make it easy for her.

I'm not making excuses for her or fat people...but you know what I'm trying to get across...

I did kind of forget my empathy there. :disappointed:

I just struggle with listening to her complain about being overweight and not doing anything about it.
    Furthermore, when I make a suggestion about doing something about it, she balks and makes inaccurate assumptions(or is in denial and lying to herself and me) about why she can't lose the weight.

I think I DID forget about where I was before I REALLY took the journey seriously. It's only so easy NOW because I've been doing it for so long. Jeanette is 49 and really doesn't seem all that worn down to me, but I only deal with her for 8-9 hours out of the day.

Thanks for bringing me back to planet Earth @Frankie_Felinius. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I totally get your frustration...her lifestyle choices impact your life in a way they shouldn't...it just sounds out of character for you to not understand that it probably isn't so cut and dried that she just isn't smart enough to do what it takes to be healthier. The huge majority of people aren't too stupid to get healthier, just a lot of emotional issues...

I also think I might still be mad at her about calling in on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before her Friday and Saturday off.

I wish I could do something like that but I think too much about how other people would have to be shuffled around and rearranged. Not to mention the negative notation on my personnel file.

I'd rather show up to work with Strep than have someone else be forced to cover for me.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

I also think I might still be mad at her about calling in on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before her Friday and Saturday off.

I wish I could do something like that but I think too much about how other people would have to be shuffled around and rearranged. Not to mention the negative notation on my personnel file.

I'd rather show up to work with Strep than have someone else be forced to cover for me.

As a fellow pathetically empathetic person (lol), I understand being so frustrated. You were venting. And had she not been YOUR co-worker affecting YOUR life, it wouldn't be so damned frustrating!

I have to be in the ER or something to call off. We work one person to shift so if one person calls off, it affects four other people. I can't just call off willy-nilly either...makes me feel terrible for jacking up my co-workers schedules, even short-term. I'll just tough it out and go sick...

• BodyByBex
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius

This was my horoscope for today:
    "The advice you give to friends today might not be warmly received, but it will sink in nevertheless. So don't think that just because they don't thank you for what you said that they didn't listen to it. Passing on what you have learned from your past mistakes is something undeniably valuable -- and they know that. They are glad you care enough to open up about what you know -- but not necessarily eager to do as you say. They have their own life to lead, and their own mistakes to learn from."

:laugh:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You gotta be kidding me...

Good for her though...sounds like it will benefit her eventually...I wouldn't hold my breath that it happens in the time your lives overlap though... ;)

It is like my kid...I think she isn't listening to anything I say...until she busts one of us out on something! When she says something isn't going to happen, for example, breaking a bone. I say "What about the little girl in the ER somewhere getting a cast put on right now? Do you think SHE said right before she did it, "I'm gonna fall off this spinning chair and break my arm!" No! She said "I won't break my arm!" when her mom told her to quit."

Now she'll use that same reference on us when she catches us doing something she thinks is "taking a chance"!!!

• BodyByBex
    Options

Good for her though...sounds like it will benefit her eventually...I wouldn't hold my breath that it happens in the time your lives overlap though... ;)

It is like my kid...I think she isn't listening to anything I say...until she busts one of us out on something! When she says something isn't going to happen, for example, breaking a bone. I say "What about the little girl in the ER somewhere getting a cast put on right now? Do you think SHE said right before she did it, "I'm gonna fall off this spinning chair and break my arm!" No! She said "I won't break my arm!" when her mom told her to quit."

Now she'll use that same reference on us when she catches us doing something she thinks is "taking a chance"!!!

:laugh: She's gonna keep you in line! :laugh:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow. That's like talking to my 15 yr old daughter. Some days I think I should just wait to tell her stuff until she is out of the house and has kids of her own. Than I'll say, "You remember that time you ask about something and I wouldn't answer? I think you're finally ready." :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Wow. That's like talking to my 15 yr old daughter. Some days I think I should just wait to tell her stuff until she is out of the house and has kids of her own. Than I'll say, "You remember that time you ask about something and I wouldn't answer? I think you're finally ready." :smile:

Oh man. 15...that was a ROUGH year for my parents..I was a little [expletive].

Man, oh man. I do not envy you right now.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

:laugh: She's gonna keep you in line! :laugh:

When we were driving and were about two houses away from our driveway down our alley, I used to unclick my seatbelt. I'm a ultra-consistent about seatbelts for myself and any occupants but for some reason, I'd do that. Not any other time, like pulling into work's parking lot or at the store...just in our alley. Elka started telling me not to do that because we'd tell her not to unbuckle before the vehicle is at a complete stop. Every once in awhile I'll absentmindedly do it and I tell ya...I get an earfull... :D
  • joquendo79
    joquendo79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Night shifter here as well! Hi all!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @joquendo79 Wow, you took a LOOOONG time to join this party.

WELCOME! We're slowly taking over the world. We have kittens and ferrets and stuffs...I think @jennifer_417 has the list. So, what are YOU bringing to the table?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Can you guys believe this?!! I have all my records done!! :smile: