Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Becky nailed the FTP question. I test every month or so to see how my FTP changes. The tests suck but they are a great way to measure training progress through the season. Since we are coming back into the cycling season I was pleased with a 20 watt jump. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    But how do you do the tests for FTP? Cycling really is a function of leg strength combined with cardiovascular endurance. It doesn't tell you much about the power in the rest of your body. Trying to measure FTP if you did a different sport would give you different numbers don't you think? Or is the point of an FTP test to be sport specific?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    FTPs are sport specific and they are taken in different ways for different sports. You should expect different thresholds for swimming, running and cycling. You can also measure with either power (watts) or heart rate (HR in bpm). For example. I only measure my cycling threshold since I don't run or swim. However, I measure my threshold HR and my threshold power. Then on any given day I can use them to pace my training as well as to see the days I should just take it easy or push harder. My Threshold HR is 158 bpm and my threshold power is 238 watts. Knowing that I can set either actual levels or perceived levels of effort. On any given day if my numbers don't jive, I can adjust my training. For example, if zone 3 is a HR of 135 and a power of 169 watts (75% roughly of my threshold) and one day I'm pushing 169 watts buy my HR is 150, I might not have rested enough from the previous days ride or I could be coming down with something. Both are reasons to back off my effort. If on the other hand my HR is 140 and my watts are 169, I know I can push harder. There are several tests out there for threshold depending on your sport and your coach/trainer. Several are online. I like the use the Sufferfest Rubber Glove 3 for my cycling. :wink:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    OK, I'm officially having a 'moment' tonight.... What's FTP?

I had NO idea either lmao, you aren't alone. I've never heard that term before. Learned something new so that's a plus :+1:

I spent my weekend trying not to eat all the things. It's TOM for me and I'm so not feeling it...and Mondays are hard, especially the ones where I have to go back to work.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    thanks guys.... I've mainly seen power/endurance trials using a rowing ergometer, but if you primarily cycle then on the bike is probably the best way to measure your leg power. I like the name 'Sufferfest', lol.

Ahhh, Bethanie, I feel for you.... Pringles are calling my name, I'm fighting a very upset tummy flu bug, but unfortunately not the kind that you lose weight from, just extremely achy gut while empty and instant pregger looking bloat after eating anything. Hope it is all over soon for both of us ;)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I had a ride this last summer where I had a tire blow out 2 miles in to the ride. The tube was good but the sidewall tore. You could look in and see the tube. It took an hour to get a replacement because we were back in the woods. When I got the tire replaced, the guy driving the sag wagon (Supplies and Gear) who usually follows the last guy asked me if I was fast. I was happy to say yes. I was able to keep an eye on the power meter to make sure I wasn't pushing too hard and burn myself out since I still had 72 miles go to. I caught the group and finished about half way up. Having a power meter and knowing your thresholds can save your bacon after an equipment failure. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ugh, I hate changing/patching tubes or even changing tires on my bikes. Sometimes I think I'd rather walk the miles back home, lol, even on the loooooong rides.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow. Will this night never end? I'm so ready to find my pillow and give it a hug and tell it how much I missed it. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Someone just gave me a bike a couple of weeks ago, but it's been sitting outside for like a year, so it's in pretty rough shape. The good new is that I have a friend that's willing to work on it for free-but they've been down with the flu, so I don't know when they'll get to it. I'm still excited, though!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    We have a stationary bike my hubs bought; he loves it and I loathe it lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think I only tried a stationary bike once or twice and it made my hips hurt!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I would rather ride in the rain or in sub freezing temps than ride the stationary bikes. Unfortunately, my work schedule makes it so I can't always ride on the road so I got a really good one with a lot of adjustments. That keeps my seat, hips and shoulders from hurting. Hip pain is usually a seat too high. Knee pain is usually a seat too low.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What's up my peeps... Ugh.. had three people call off for day shift... WTF. Looks like I have to come in early now...
  • ristinadurivage
    ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TK6299 wrote: »
    What's up my peeps... Ugh.. had three people call off for day shift... WTF. Looks like I have to come in early now...

Just found this thread! Awesomeness! I'm working at a hotel. Just like day shifters to slack!
  • TK6299
    Options
    Three of them... really? Amazing. Welcome to the night shift thread.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Wide awake
  • ristinadurivage
    Options
    Wish I was. Downing my bulletproof coffee right now. Trying not to eat those peppermint candy puffs on the counter.
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    almost halfway through my first of three nights
  • TK6299
    Options
    On my middle night of three... and tomorrow (today) gets to be a 14 hr one... oh boy..
  • ristinadurivage
    Options
    I have five nights in a row. I'm half way through!