Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Beh, I hate winter. Every year I just hunker down and wait for Spring. That beach looks amazing!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,216 Member
    Options
    @Mischief246 - What happened? Just not feeling well or something about the shift itself?

@911Doughboy - Welcome back. Glad to have you.

@canadjineh - Beautiful photo! If I ever get another vet settled, I've got to go visit some of these places. If I ever quit working 100 hours a week maybe the first place I'll visit is my bed. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Just fell asleep at work for like 20 mins. Gotta say I feel a bit better tho. Whoops.
  • HufflePuffleShuffle
    Options
    Anyone else working tonight? I'm trying to battle through the 4am slump :s
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Me! I'm working a night that I don't normally, but a couple guards quit, and a couple are in the hospital, so I'm pulling overtime every week for the foreseeable future.
  • HufflePuffleShuffle
    Options
    Me! I'm working a night that I don't normally, but a couple guards quit, and a couple are in the hospital, so I'm pulling overtime every week for the foreseeable future.

That sounds rough!
  • jennifer_417
    Options

That sounds rough!

Well-I'm almost embarrassed to complain with @sufferlandrian working 100+ hrs/week, but I'll be honest, 4 12s in a row wear me out.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A couple of co-workers just finished 27 hours straight as we scramble for staff that can even get in to work due to road issues, and juggle accident scenes (securing loaded tractor trailers) and power failures with trees down due to snow (screws bank alarms royally.)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @canadjineh - Wow! You guys are a lot going on over in BC. That storm should be headed our way. I sure didn't see it coming.

@jennifer_417 - Hey, on the positive side, I have another vet coming the end of May so I won't be doing this forever. :smile:

@HufflePuffleShuffle - I can really relate to the 4 AM struggle. My usually comes about 10 PM but by 4 AM I'm back and awake. I work 6 PM to 8 AM Monday through Friday and 48 straight on the weekends (more with holidays). I'm becoming immune to caffeine and have been known to mix a 5 hour energy drink into a Monster drink. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hoping the sky clears for the total lunar eclipse this morning....in another couple hours or so here. Just got February's schedule and yep, we are working 'hair straight back,' luckily I booked a couple nights off for both of us. Party and band for Winter Carnival then later in the month concert tickets (54-40, a fave of ours) with dinner out and a hotel stay. Recharge time. <3:*:*<3
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    We are socked in with clouds. No lunar eclipse for us here.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    No lunar eclipse for us on the east coast. Not far enough west to see anything.

Today is the day I have to take my first Cooper Fitness Assessment. I'm so nervous but it's the starting point so I'll only improve from here. But still super nervous!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Rah, rah!! Bethanie! Power through, you show 'em what cha got!
    The eclipse was freakishly awesome last night. We had a tiny bit of drifting cloud early on, but it cleared up perfectly for the main event. I even woke hubby up when I came home so he could come out in the driveway and see it fully eclipsed. It certainly got the dogs in the neighbourhood going, lol. Major barking happened when it was completely covered. I had enough time on patrol to hang out on the wharf (where I unlock the gates for the morning) and watch the shadow move across the last half. Nice thing about that spot is it is quite far out in the bay and away from the city lights so there was no light interference with the view.
    1517369804-bluebloodmoon.jpg?d=400x300
  • sufferlandrian
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @bethanie0825 - Don't push too hard. It's just an assessment. You want to go hard, but you want to be able to continue training tomorrow. Good luck!

@canadjineh - Too many clouds here. Couldn't see anything above 1000 ft. Started snowing a bit on my commute to work tonight. I'm not sure why, but I find it really peaceful to bike in light snow.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I think it's the moving quietly and quickly.....smoothly through that wonderful muffled silence. I like a good walk or snowshoe n a dry snowfall myself. BTW, snowing this past hour after a sunny day. At least it's -3C.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh That picture is amazing. Sunrise came too soon for us on the east coast.

My assessment went okay. I have a long way to go but I already knew that. Now I know what I need to work on and what I gotta do!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I think I'm trying to pick up one of the bugs that is going around. I'm hoping it's just the Norovirus. I've had it before so it should be a quick recovery.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Bethanie, I cannot take credit for the shot, someone else took it, but it looked exactly like that.
    I have to do a little 'crafting' this week as next weekend is the party and dance band (theme is 'Wonderland') and my Red Queen costume (home made) needs tweaking. My friend is going as the White Rabbit. Our guys are going as themselves.... duds :/ we couldn't drag them screaming into costume. I'll try to post pix if I take some.

Love the screamin' green jacket and helmet cover, @sufferlandrian. I'm surprised you don't have a full on balaclava, lol.

Here's a few more shots from our Utah portion of the trip this winter:
    The slot canyon trail in Bryce is called "Wall Street"... those are the actual colours - no tweaking in Photoshop. On our 'return trip' list, for sure.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Gorgeous photos Jineh. Looks like my kind of vacation. :smile: