Distance runners: How to work past 90 minutes?

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For the tempo session, is the goal for that to work on steady pacing or to increase the pace i.e. moving up from a 5 mph to 6 mph pace etc.?

Generally for your tempo run you're aiming for a consistent faster pace than your long run. So if you're running a 10 minute mile long run then push out a 9 minute mile for the tempo. Session.
    As for the running long distances on a treadmill, maybe I was a lab rat in a past life :tongue: I would never claim it's enjoyable, and I would much prefer an outdoor scenic run, but I've learned how to just focus my brain somewhere else and get it done.

Rather you than me. The only indoor CV work I do is the rowing machine.
  • giambone85
    giambone85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    delete
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i wanted to throw in my 2 cents since this is near and dear to me.. but I don't have time to read any of these pages of replies so forgive me if I am being repetitive :)

1) If I over-eat the day before I long run, I feel like crap during my run. That's just me. You may want to stop being full of food when you try your long runs.

2) I think you are psyching yourself out and that the 90 minute thing is totally in your head! What distance do you generally run in 90 minutes? One idea: start focusing on distance instead of time. if you usually run 9 miles, just tell yourself that youre going to run 10, despite the "time" it takes you. I think you've worked it up too much. Can you map out a 10 mile (or whatever distance you would run in over 90 minutes), and then just run it without a watch? Then be surprised that you have gone over 90 without thinking about it!

3) I take a running belt and start drinking gatorade at 60 minutes and then every 30 min after that. You could try it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    that's called the WALL.
    DO NOT WALK ...gotta fight through it it is completely mental.

Or alternatively, it is completely physical.

Or a factor of diet/fueling.

That was actually the subset of "physical" I was thinking of...but thought I'd leave it more general.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    that's called the WALL.

That was actually the subset of "physical" I was thinking of...but thought I'd leave it more general.

Fair. I tend to view physical as conditioning with fueling being a completely separate challenge and skillset. I know I've screwed it up before. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    that's called the WALL.

Fair. I tend to view physical as conditioning with fueling being a completely separate challenge and skillset. I know I've screwed it up before. :)

Agreed. Improper fueling/diet can certainly lead to a physical wall.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    that's called the WALL.

I always thought "the wall" was physical - you have pretty much depleted your glycogen stores and you basically have no fuel left which makes it almost physically impossible to keep going.

Correct. Many people get tired and call it the Wall, but the true Wall is depleting all your glycogen. And when you hit it, you will never confuse it with just being tired.

+1
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    that's called the WALL.

I always thought "the wall" was physical - you have pretty much depleted your glycogen stores and you basically have no fuel left which makes it almost physically impossible to keep going.

Correct. Many people get tired and call it the Wall, but the true Wall is depleting all your glycogen. And when you hit it, you will never confuse it with just being tired.

+1

Yes. I was less then fifty feet from my car after getting lost, ending up on a technical trail (that's not as goodas it sounds) for 12 miles with enough water packed for 5. Longest fifty feet of my life. Never felt any thing like it.

The irony bein that I always overpack with water, gels, whatever but this ONE time I just brought water. Something that is key in refueling is consider your weight. Bigger people deplete faster simply because it takes more energy to move. It's all well and good for do and so to go nine miles with nothing but not me. The pissing contests over who takes less never cease to amuse me.

wtf cares? Sometimes I bring a sandwhich on a ten mile run. Sometimes two bottles if water and gummies on a five. I've got nothing to prove.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

+1

Yes. I was less then fifty feet from my car after getting lost, ending up on a technical trail (that's not as goodas it sounds) for 12 miles with enough water packed for 5. Longest fifty feet of my life. Never felt any thing like it.

Happened to me about a year ago, I was out on my mountain bike and got lost, ended up doing about 10 miles longer than I'd anticipated, and I lost it about two miles from home.

Hell

Slept for most of the following day
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    See, now that wouldn't have happened if you had been running on a treadmill.....:wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    See, now that wouldn't have happened if you had been running on a treadmill.....:wink:

After about 10 minutes of running on a treadmill I'd be so bored and frustrated I'd be ready to tear someones arms off...

It's all relative...
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running. Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you. Only the people who make running their life can go into the 2+ hour range I'd say. If you aren't 100% dedicated, then it just won't happen. No shame in that, though.

what_zpsd6e12442.gif
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to go from 90 minutes to 2 hours running. I remember it so well because I found it harder to find a two hour cassette tape! (The standard length was 90 minutes)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

After about 10 minutes of running on a treadmill I'd be so bored and frustrated I'd be ready to tear someones arms off...

It's all relative...

I once did 15 miles on a treadmill. 11kxlc9.jpg
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Run with a group. Almost the only way to keep the pace and not quit.

Bad idea IMO, if the group is not doing your pace. Your pace should be dictated by your heart rate and how you feel. I used to run in groups for fun, but when I got serious about training for something, I had to run solo to stay in the proper training speed.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    No - humans can outrun anything.
    They can't outrun a lion.
    Not my meaning. Run longer and farther.
    Only if the human isn't caught first and turned into lunch.

Look, I know it's something that is repeated often, but it is not really very true. You put a human out in the wild and they won't be outrunning anything - they'll be eaten. What allows us to "run longer and farther" isn't our physiology, it's the fact we live in the equivalent of organized herds and can usually fend of much faster animals long enough to live long enough to "run longer and farther".

Which means we aren't outrunning at all - we're out-organizing.

I thought the basis of that whole theory was that we outran our prey, not what was preying on us.
    I know in Born to Run it did break down why we could theoretically run longer over distance than a lion and other animals, even dogs, which is what I assume that poster is getting at, not that we do or are supposed to outrun all animals for survival.

Yep. Thank you. Lots of indigenous tribes still practice long distance running (the Masai for example). They aren't 'fast' but can go much much longer than any prey animal can.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Lol, one word, Houston, trust me, the treadmill is preferable.

You think the treadmill is preferable to running in Houston, TX??? I have an awesome treadmill in my basement right in front of a TV w/ cable...and yet I've run outside in <20 degree F (and >95 degree F) weather many times because I hate...HATE...HATE running on the treadmill.

I can't do it watching TV, it's a good book on my kindle or nothing. I could remain completely oblivious to the zombie apocolypse if I had a good book to read.

I could probably work my way around the heat issue, it's the boring issue, I can distract myself with something to read or something to look at. There's nothing inspiring in looking at a bunch or concrete, chain stores/restraunts and sprawling suburban neighborhoods.

That and the no sidewalks or trails thing just pisses me off. There is no such thing as walking in Houston, it is assumed that you will take your car EVERYWHERE. The grocery store is less then a mile from where I live, but to walk there I would have to walk on the street (which is major, six lane heavy traffic) or through lots filled with mud and grass growing up to my hips, and bugs, lots of bugs.

I run in Houston! I guess it depends on what side of town you're on (Houston is a huge city, physically) on how easy it is to find a good place to run.

I run at Memorial Park, though I live in Friendswood (the suburbs). I run after work, which is a closer drive to Memorial. There is a nice 3 mile running loop, plus some AWESOME mountain bike trails I run on when there's daylight in the evenings (spring and summer).

They've also built up the network of bike/run trails along Allen Parkway and the Heights. There's also a nice network in the I-10/Beltway 8 region (Terry Hershey Park, I believe). TC Jester area has a good running trail (might be what meets up with the Heights' trail) It's an ongoing long-term project to expand biking/running trails throughout the city and outside 610 loop.

Anyway, PM or friend request me if you want ideas on where to run outside in Houston. I never run on a treadmill, and dislike running in my neighborhood (quite boring). :drinker:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I run in Houston! I guess it depends on what side of town you're on (Houston is a huge city, physically) on how easy it is to find a good place to run.

I run at Memorial Park, though I live in Friendswood (the suburbs). I run after work, which is a closer drive to Memorial. There is a nice 3 mile running loop, plus some AWESOME mountain bike trails I run on when there's daylight in the evenings (spring and summer).

They've also built up the network of bike/run trails along Allen Parkway and the Heights. There's also a nice network in the I-10/Beltway 8 region (Terry Hershey Park, I believe). TC Jester area has a good running trail (might be what meets up with the Heights' trail) It's an ongoing long-term project to expand biking/running trails throughout the city and outside 610 loop.

Anyway, PM or friend request me if you want ideas on where to run outside in Houston. I never run on a treadmill, and dislike running in my neighborhood (quite boring). :drinker:

I know in theory there are some good places, but from what I have been able to find so far, all of them would be quite a commute just to get there. I'm in the NW Houston area, think 290/1960, I know there is a runners club for my general area, and I even know a few of the people in it, but I do think they just mostly run around the neighborhoods in the area and yea, I don't find that much more stimulating then staring out the window at the lake in the middle of my appartment complex....

Definitely intersted if you know of any good distance running trails that would be closer to me though because I do need to start doing some work outdoors. I think the winter is starting to get to my mood, even with all the exercise....