I need more sodium

Options

Replies

• Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Megan, perhaps it's family history. I do all the right things too but still take medication. I know how frustrating it can be.

True 'nuff. I guess I'd have an easier time accepting that it's my lot in life if it had always been high but as of last april I was still coming in with almost an ideal BP reading when I was still up at like 250 - 260 pounds. Seems silly that now that I'm down to 174 I'm all of a sudden cruising for a heart attack. I've had it suggested that it may have gone up for my readings because before I was getting it done for the sake of information and NOW I'm doing it because I'm trying to donate a kidney and with all the other testing done everything is pretty much riding on my blood pressure and it's not looking good. That's the dumb bit. The one thing that was fine before I changed everything else they wanted me to is now the one thing that's screwing it all up.

It does seem odd that your pressure has increased in direct correlation to your weight loss. I hope it works out and congrats on your weight loss. Great job!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No one should be telling the OP not to increase sodium. For all you guys know, her doctor could have told her this?

Pre-packaged meals are high in sodium. I really like Amy's frozen burritos. They even make gluten and dairy free ones, and they're delicious.

jeez... her doctor would have told her what to do about it.
    Not true. I wasn't sick when mine was low. And my doctor didn't tell me anything to do either. She just monitored to make sure it didn't STAY low.
    Just wanted to point out that the OP specifically said she (he?) wanted more sodium in order to gain weight. Nothing about doctors or health problems.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

With that said, I would think obesity and genetics play a much greater role in cardiovascular disease than sodium. I frequently eat 3500mg of sodium or more and have my blood pressure rarely exceed 110/70 with great cholesterol.

That should be the case, though not always....my blood pressure was regularly 124/74 about 100 pounds ago......now that I've lost it I've gone up to 140/80. I almost wonder if I wouldn't be better off health wise if I put some back on. lol

That's not necessarily uncommon if the loss was mostly attributable to a calorie deficit vs. cardio and weight training.

calorie deficit plus I've done a minimum of 30 minutes cardio (though closer to an hour most days...usually i run anywhere from 6 to 10 Km) every day since the beginning of August.

You don't strength train / weight train? At all? That's probably the source of your problem.

Calorie deficits don't cause fat loss, they cause fat and muscle loss. Cardio, especially running, also essencially consumes both fat and muscle. You won't build new muscle running or doing most cardio. It's the adding of lean muscle that allows your vascular system to improve.

Also, weight training is important for getting, and keeping, calcium in your bones as you age - especially for women.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You don't strength train / weight train? At all? That's probably the source of your problem.

Calorie deficits don't cause fat loss, they cause fat and muscle loss. Cardio, especially running, also essencially consumes both fat and muscle. You won't build new muscle running or doing most cardio. It's the adding of lean muscle that allows your vascular system to improve.

Also, weight training is important for getting, and keeping, calcium in your bones as you age - especially for women.

I do also usually do the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred 2 or 3 times a week which does 3 sets of 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute abs.....or I'll walk up and down my stairs for 30 minutes which I would think would be cardio as well as strength considering how much more leg muscle it seems to use than just running.... i don't know if that counts for anything.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    No, I'm talking about lifting heavy things for at least 60-90 minutes per week.
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    LOL - my thoughts exactly - I can't seem to ever be under the sodium max.

As for good high sodium suggestions - PICKLES
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

naw, can't afford a gym membership or my own weights for home. Sometimes i'll use my own weight for resistance stuff... like this http://www.womenfitness.net/img2012/articleimages/dec/Body-Weight-Training1.jpg ....i'm not a weight, but i'm pretty heavy still. lol
  • Greytfish
    Options

naw, can't afford a gym membership or my own weights for home. Sometimes i'll use my own weight for resistance stuff... like this http://www.womenfitness.net/img2012/articleimages/dec/Body-Weight-Training1.jpg ....i'm not a weight, but i'm pretty heavy still. lol

That's ok for some minimal fitness, but not enough to offer good osteoporosis protection or help much with the BP. If you can't afford a set of weights or a gym, an affordable option might be a medicine ball and/or a kettlbell. There are lots of good workouts you can do with those.
  • reneruppert
    Options
    try going to www.nutritionfacts.org and researching for the most healthful way!
  • reneruppert
    Options
    Read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. Full of factual information; even if you don't change one thing (but you will), read his book to learn. You may find that by reducing any animal protein intake and upping plant based foods will lower your BP and cholesterol...
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    That's ok for some minimal fitness, but not enough to offer good osteoporosis protection or help much with the BP. If you can't afford a set of weights or a gym, an affordable option might be a medicine ball and/or a kettlbell. There are lots of good workouts you can do with those.

my roommate has a medicine ball I think. I'll see what I can do with that. Not too concerned about osteoporosis at this point as I get lots of calcium and have good bone density, but if it does anything for the BP I'll give it a go. The only other thing I haven't had a solid whack at is ''relaxation'' crap, so I'm throwing some yoga on the plate too. The amount of time I have to take up for all of this might do the opposite of ''de-stressing'' me though, lol.
    Read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. Full of factual information; even if you don't change one thing (but you will), read his book to learn. You may find that by reducing any animal protein intake and upping plant based foods will lower your BP and cholesterol...

I've already done tonnes of research regarding what to eat/not eat for blood pressure, so there's nothing more I can really change in that regard. I'm not a big meat eater, for one thing. Some fish and the odd bit of chicken is about it....never red meat....even though it's cheaper....*sigh*
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How could you be NOT getting enough sodium?? It's in practically everything. I go over sodium virtually everyday. Do you eat like a rabbit??:tongue::tongue:
  • analoren
    Options
    I use a lot of soy sauce in my meals, and that is super high in sodium. Even just using a couple of tablespoons puts me way over my sodium count for the day. It's also quite tasty in many foods that aren't Asian, too! I tend to use it whenever I want to make a sauce a little more savory.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I also have to increase mine. I just add some iodized salt to a meal or 2 each day.
    Same here due to very low blood pressure. I sprinkle some on a hard boiled egg for a snack every day.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The mythology around sodium is amazing.
    Sodium can't hurt you. It doesn't cause heart attacks, water retention and it doesn't keep away evil spirits if poured on the floor around your pentagram.
    eat normal food. your body will figure out the sodium it needs.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    also if the values are small it rounds it down as 0mg even if it is 0.4mg. As some of the values are low and you might have a lot of it, it doesn't count this at all and you might be missing these small amounts for lots of things.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the people saying "you don't need more sodium."

Diets with sodium under 1500 a day are associated with a higher risk of death than others. Super low-sodium diets, those under 1500 mg, are a compromise solution to balance the effects of high blood pressure against other factors. These diets are only appropriate for people who already have a medical condition.

Most people should get more than 1500 mg a day, especially if you're active and losing sodium through sweat.

Where did you get this information? Is it statistical observation among a set of dead people? According to the AHA you need 1500mg and you should avoid going higher than that.
    [url]
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sodium_UCM_306840_Article.jsp [/url]
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat really super clean, I very highly doubt you need more sodium in your diet. Do you log everything? Including condiments, seasoning packets, marinades, dressings, cheese? All of those things are very high in sodium. Unless you eat a really bland, flavorless diet, and eat super clean, like mostly all fruits, veggies, and lean meats with no seasonings, I just really find it hard to believe you are ACTUALLY not getting enough sodium. I struggle every single day to stay under my sodium intake. Anyways, IDK why you would want to add water weight anyways. You can increase your weight by either increasing body fat, or muscle. Water weight just makes you look bloated. Whatever floats your boat though. If you really did need more sodium, any of the things I mentioned above will certainly help you out, as well as anything that doesn't come from the ground or a tree. Add seasonings or marinades to your meat. Eat some canned stuff, or anything from a box. Lol.

Be careful as to how you advise others regarding things like sodium levels and intake. As many have pointed out in this thread, there are many people who have medical conditions that require them to have a higher than normal sodium intake.

I'm well aware, since I'm a nurse, lol, but the OP didn't say he wanted to increase due to medical condition. He said he wanted to increase, because he wants to gain weight.
  • creativehi
    Options
    Because of less sodium intake,you have any problems like low blood pressure ,or dizziness.If you donot have these, do not worry about your less sodium level.Take the sea salt in your daily routine,and remember the thing excess salt is not reccomonded to those who are suffering from heigh blood pressure or heart disease or kidney problem.Get your all blood test done with the advise of a doctor.:smile:
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I love the people saying "you don't need more sodium."

Diets with sodium under 1500 a day are associated with a higher risk of death than others. Super low-sodium diets, those under 1500 mg, are a compromise solution to balance the effects of high blood pressure against other factors. These diets are only appropriate for people who already have a medical condition.

Most people should get more than 1500 mg a day, especially if you're active and losing sodium through sweat.

Where did you get this information? Is it statistical observation among a set of dead people? According to the AHA you need 1500mg and you should avoid going higher than that.
    [url]
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sodium_UCM_306840_Article.jsp [/url]

Actually, no, the AHA lists what you shouldn't exceed. Not only do most people get more than they need, they often don't get the potassium they need in proportion to the sodium.