WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Peg - Bodi, Kiera and I are so sorry for you loss. Cry, remember all the good times, cry some more... then get a puppy!:tongue: (well thats what we would do)

Amanda - I hope you feel better soon.

Connie - you can adjust your calorie goals to whatever you want and as far as exercise you can create all the individual ones you want to track your exercise in one place. this is an amazing tool, I hope you can utilize all it has to offer.

Kackie - I feel your pain, I still haven't gotten back into it fully since my vacation in August. but so far this week is off to a good start and WE CAN DO THIS!

I had a good food day and exercise day yesterday so I am hoping the water weight and other weight I have put on since August will begin to disappear. I am still so bloated I am up almost 10 pounds.:noway:

Love to all you wonderful ladies. Have a Terrific Tuesday.
  • lifeis2enjoy
    Options
    Hang in there Kacki I too am having the same problems, but reading these posts helps me greatly. My worse times are the evenings. I seem to do really good then somehow I loose control & eat. I need to fill my frige tonite with lots of fruits & veggies...take care & good luck.

Cheri
  • lifeis2enjoy
    Options
    Peg, like the others I am so sorry for the lose of your dog. A few years ago I lost my cocker spaniel Sadie I had her for 19 1/2 yrs. She died in my arms. It was the 2nd big loss in my life with dogs. It is hard to loose them, but I will never ever be without a dog, they bring so much joy & unconditional love. I have always had 2 dogs, so they always have company for each other. Brandy is now 12 yrs old she is a lab, goldern retriever mix. A good friend of mine died last Nov & I bought Harley an American Cocker Spaniel into my home, we both bought him together as a pup & we shared having him from week to week.

I will pray for you to have some comfort thru all of this, but I know you will pull thru.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    rjadams, I didn't realize I could change my daily calorie goals, :huh: feel like an idiot! I haven't really spent a lot of time looking at that stuff! Thanks for mentioning it!

I need to move more throughout the day, I have some exercise DVDs here in my office and can use my laptop for them. We also have a nice gym here but during my lunch hr I just want OUT of here! I work out at home (have my own gym) but it really isn't enough exercise to make up for how much I sit during the day. Kinda silly I guess because when I leave I just drive around or walk in the mall. Walking is good but I end up spending money! Really leaving at lunch just a habit I need to break. I can walk in the park but its gonna be 100 degrees today....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Peg, I am so sorry about your dog.....when our Golden, Shilo, died, I didn't think we'd ever stop crying but now with her ashes in a pretty box on the mantle and our Standard Poodles, Brandy and Sasha, in our lives we go on with the memories keeping us warm.....take it one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: Connie, once you take the time to learn about all the features of MFP you will find the tools you need to help you on your weight loss journey.....I log my food ahead of time so I don't have to think about it during the day. When I started I made a rule for myself that I would eat only what I had planned ahead of time and would decline the offer of any food, no matter how benign or how loving the person was who offered it......by drawing that line, it was easy to refuse things that would sabotage my plan......just like you, I did a daily inventory of where I was getting my exercise and made small changes so that now, I am active in settings where I used to just sit (now I read and knit less, and walk and dance more)

:flowerforyou: Robin, you have all the tools you need to put yourself back on track
    you are smart, focused, and determined.....I know that I'm not the only one who is cheering you on.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I have a history of exercising and going to work with bronchitis so I know how you're feeling......my colleagues at work had to gang up on me and make me go to the doctor and follow the stay home and stay in bed directions

:heart: :heart: :heart: hugs to all :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I was over on calories yesterday. All healthy stuff, but I went over the 1200 calories allotted for the day. 1400 calories works much better for me. You know how I feel about feeling deprived. To paraphrase, “Never, never, never feel deprived.”) Bottom line, I need to exercise every day so I can eat 1400 or 1500 calories and stay within my target.

I’ve learned to love how I feel when I exercise. Next step is to fit it into the schedule. I’m back to thinking I’ll go for milder exercising – like walking. I’m not a chest-heaving, pulse-pounding, sweat-pouring-down-my-face kinda girl.

Viv, I usually have one treat during the day – about 100 calories worth (sometimes more). I love chocolate so that’s often a feature. Lately, we’ve been enjoying fudgcicles (quiescently frozen fudge popsicles). Delish. :drinker:

Chiclet, great news about your mom. I’m happy for both of you. :heart:

Kackie, the good news is that it takes only 2 days (that’s Mimi’s rule!) to get out of carb hell and back on track. Then it’s back to feeling good and easy with food again.

Amanda, a mani and pedi should clear everything right up! :happy:

Welcome Deb and Cheri.

Susan, congrats for staying on top of it in a Mexican restaurant. That’s my all-time most tempting place to be. I usually order some plain tortillas then dip them in the salsa. It’s hard to resist an enchilada with all the trimmings though!

Hi Peg. I’m sending hugs to you. Be especially good to yourself during this hard time. :heart:

Robin, yay for you for getting back on track. Getting off track for a while is fine as long as you hop right back on. I look at it as practice for maintenance which I know, from past miserable experience, is the hardest part of all this. We can do this. We ARE doing this! :happy:

Jeannie, you feel like a friend too. I always look forward to your posts.

Connie, you can change the calorie allotment – just go to Goals. I lose about the expected amount of weight when I stick to the calories MFP sets for me. Whatever it takes to lose what you want to lose is right for you. But, I set my Fiber goal to 30. From everything I’ve read (and know from experience), that’s a healthy amount.

xxx
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OK, I played around with goals, changed my calories...1400 is a better fit for me (not 1200) I have a desk job but once I get home I stay moving until 8:30-9:00PM, getting in my workout, taking care of 2 horses, cooking, laundry, sweeping all that stuff everyone has to do! I know for a fact I can lose wt on 1400 calories and still have energy. I was just basically ingnoring the 1230 that MFP suggested. Thanks for telling me how to do this!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I went to an orthopedic today on my shoulders. It is good news/bad news depending on how you look at it. It is not work related. I have not re-torn my rotators cuffs. But I have arthritis in both shoulders and in my breast bone. The doctor gave me one upper body exercise I have to do 3 times a week, but I got an OK to do what ever upper body exercises or sports I want to. I got cortisone shots in both shoulders and have to go back in four months. I'm going to have to buy some weights. I need to get up to 10 lbs. I have 1 and 2 pound weights at home to start with.

I do feel better now knowing what is going on.

Peg - I am sorry to hear of your loss. When I pat my old dog tonight, I will say a pray for you.

Jeannie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents:

Have been on the program since July and have lost 8 lbs. Weight loss has been kind of slow lately
    but I am sure it will pick up. :tongue: Changes in the weather and feeling a little tired.:ohwell: I joined the Y last week for
    yoga classes every Wednesday and did get on the treadmill last Sunday. :bigsmile: I try to do something everyday
    for exercise. I hope everyone is doing well and Happy September.:drinker:
  • vikkij12
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I have been a watcher on this thread for a couple of weeks and am impressed at your caring for each other.
    Peg I am sorry about your Dog, my Sheltie is starting to slow down and I am steeling myself for when he goes. The lab pup is great (we lost a young lab 3 months ago and replaced her soon after) but she just doesn't have the memories that go with Trump.

I was interested in reading about the "carb" effect and things just clicked into place. I ate white bread (fresh soft and lovely) in the weekend and have been really struggling to not eat any more since then.

Its my birthday today 52 and feeling mixed emotions, old enough to be satisfied with who I am and young enough to still be active..
    Have a good day
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies! Hello to everyone!

Peg, so sorry about the loss of your spaniel. Mai Li, Pepper and Bradley all send you a hug ((( ))),along with me. ( )

I am busy working on a project today so this will be short. My eye is still a pain in the rear (makes it hard to see!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Baa-a-a-a-a-ad joke.:ohwell: Still fuzzy vision, and like looking under water part of the time.

Good day to all.

Barb
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Busy and productive weekend past. I got to see my mom, and she was in good shape, hours prior to my arrival mom was very ill and the staff were thinking mom could check out any time. We are baffled at the recovery, but very thankful too.

I have gained six pounds and it seems that I have checked out on the plan. I will strive to get back on, where or when I don't know but I'm hoping to find the answers very soon.

My house got a good cleaning Sunday and Monday, I am sore for moving lifting and fighting the lawn mower on the uneven terraine that is called our yard. Steep hills, water run off ruts, trees, stumps and weeds everywhere. Oh I need to win a lottery to get the yard fixed and put right, I'm really not sure I am going to be able to do it myself. It's a 100 x 200 + size

Any hoo I am rubbing my eyes, not a good sleep, I never sleep the first night of a work week. I shall be back to chat tomorrow and hopes everyone has a great day, share a smile and give a hug to someone.

Marilyn
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone and welcome all newcomers

:grumble: This is the 3rd time I have attempted to post - having computer problems and it’s driving me crazy - no it is not operator error (this time)

:smile: I did better than yesterday, and you’ll be pleased to hear I even refused a piece of stolen cake when it was offered to me by Jane this afternoon. I did have a few pieces of chocolate and about 6 Fruit Pastilles after my even meal though, but at least I didn’t go over my calories.

:sad: Peg I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. 16 years is a long time, and I too am sending hugs your way.

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Vikkij12 hope you had a great day.

We had to take Wispa aka Wiz to the vet tonight. We noticed his teeth are in a bit of a state. How they got this bad we don’t know and feel very guilty that we didn’t notice sooner.:embarassed: The vet took bloods to test that his liver and kidneys are working well and also to check on his thyroid and to make sure he doesn’t have diabetes. Hopefully the tests will come back ok and it will be safe to anesthetise him for his dental work. We are a bit anxious at the moment. Poor Wiz was a bit stressed by it all, he is a shy little cat and doesn’t venture out much, so it was a bit of an ordeal for him to be put in a travel box and prodded and poked.

When I next go shopping I am going to look for cider vinegar and give it a try, thanks everyone who mentioned it and for the encouragement to try and keep the carb monster at bay.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie poor you arthritis in both shoulders. Are the weights to help strengthen your shoulders?

Well I had a lot more to say, but time has gotten away with me again. I really must remember to type in word and then copy it in to mfp it is a lot easier that way.

:frown: Just remembered I have to dry up first before I can go to bed, so better get a move on.

Bye for now

Viv :heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I have been a watcher on this thread for a couple of weeks and am impressed at your caring for each other.
    Peg I am sorry about your Dog, My Sheltie is starting to slow down and I am steeling myself for when he goes. The lab pup is great (we lost a young lab 3 months ago and replaced her soon after) but she just doesn't have the memories that go with Trump.

I was interested in reading about the "carb" effect and things just clicked into place. I ate white bread (fresh soft and lovely) in the weekend and have been really struggling to not eat any more since then.

Its my birthday today 52 and feeling mixed emotions, old enough to be satisfied with who I am and young enough to still be active..

Have a good day

^ ^ ^ Happy Birthday ^ ^ ^

I too express sympathy to Peg. Losing a furry baby is a sadness only other pet lovers understand. So far my longest lived pet was a Norwegian Forest Cat that was 18 when we finally had to put her to sleep. Still miss her!

One of the best lessons I have learned in this new lifestyle is to identify trigger foods and avoid them. For most of us that is simple carbs... things like flour, sugar, rice and noodles and things made with them. Personally the more of them I eat the more of them I want to its best just to avoid them altogether.

Survived another meal out with hubby. This time at the Chinese buffet. I did great on calories and carbs but went over on my sodium. Guess I'll be drinkgng LOTS of water between now and bedtime to make up for it. :drinker:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm back! Had a wonderful but exhausting weekend. Took yesterday off of exercise to recoup, but jumped back in the pool today. I have a question: I would really like to lose fat off of my upper arms. Do you think that it would help if I got some 5 lb. weights and just did curls? With my arthritis, I am somewhat limited, but I think maybe I could do that if I thought it might work.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I'm back! Had a wonderful but exhausting weekend. Took yesterday off of exercise to recoup, but jumped back in the pool today. I have a question: I would really like to lose fat off of my upper arms. Do you think that it would help if I got some 5 lb. weights and just did curls? With my arthritis, I am somewhat limited, but I think maybe I could do that if I thought it might work.

Swimming is a great exercise for you. Curls will help but you also need to do other exercises with those hand weights. A great place for ideas is YouTube. There are dozens of free upper body/arm exercise videos there.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    pegstet - we're here for you any time of the day or night! I'm so sorry about your dog ((((hugs))))

McMadame - who told you how to do things properly? I'm thinking that maybe I don't do them properly, but I have no idea who to ask.

lifeis2enjoy - happy belated birthday! And welcome, welcome, welcome.

chiclet - that is so great about your mom!

Peggy - a while ago I took a belly danacing class. I really enjoyed it. One of the things that impressed me was that the women in the class were very comfortable in their bodies. Some of them were quite large, to put it mildly, yet they had no inhibitions about wearing the skimpy outfits. The other thing that impressed me was that there was a sort of "comraderie" among the women. It was a good workout. Now I consider myself in fairly good shape but, boy, could I feel it the next day. You are using muscles that you don't normally use.

Welcome Deb to the best thread on the net.

Went bowling today. Boy, did I stink. Not sure what it was, probably the fact that it has been so long since I practiced. Tomorrow after I go to the Y, I think I'm going to bowl 2 games (I have a coupon for a free game) and then go food shopping.

Did an hour of the spin class today. Tomorrow...deep water. We had the Board of Managers meeting at the Y this a.m. I'm still amazed that there are people who are totally comfortable with the idea of allowing alcohol. At the last meeting, this topic was tabled until the Oct. meeting. In the meantime, another branch in the association wrote a letter stating that they would allow alcohol but only in a religious context (like wine at communion). Why we didn't go along with this is beyond me. But, boy, am I going to get my ammunition ready for the next meeting! Questioning how if this were passed, how does it meet with the mission statement of the Y? How we have a "no tobacco, no drugs" sign on the door, what are we going to do, put a little blurb under that "but alcohol is OK as long as we don't provide it?" What kind of message is being sent, I can see someone saying "well, YOU didn't provide the tobacco so this cigarette is OK, and then drug users will be saying "well, YOU didn't provide the drugs". And let's not forget the negative PR that will result if someone leaves under the influence. It doesn't matter if we didn't provide the alcohol, it doesn't matter if we didn't pour it, if someone leaves under the influence and kills someone, you know it'll be reported. Just having our name associated with that incident. Oh, you can probably hear my goat right now.

Vince and I went to a sheriff's citizen's academy tonight. It runs for something like 10 weeks, every Tues. Next week we meet with the STAR (their version of the SWAT) team, the K-9 and Range (pistol/rifle). Another week we'll tour the detention facility, another we'll tour the clerks office and register of deeds, another the communicatioin center, another we'll go the the DA's office, then ride in a patrol car, we'll learn about the things they do during the crime scene investigation. It was quite interesting tonight

Hi there vikij. I've found the apple cider vinegar to really help me curb my carbs. Happy birthday!!!!

Gonna go take a shower and then get to bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    McMadame - who told you how to do things properly? I'm thinking that maybe I don't do them properly, but I have no idea who to ask.
    A swim coach. I go to a coached workout 1x a week that my club puts on. It's like Masters class only focused on triathletes. She also did a clinic with video taping and that's when she showed me lots of things I was doing wrong.

Most pools have Masters swim sessions at least 2x a week. Masters doesn't mean you have mastered swimming. It just means you're old! :laugh: (Actually, it means you can't compete in the youth leagues, I think. So anyone 18 or older.) My gym has them and so does a pool near my work. I'll probably start doing those once my season is over.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone and welcome all newcomers

:grumble: This is the 3rd time I have attempted to post - having computer problems and it’s driving me crazy - no it is not operator error (this time)

:smile: I did better than yesterday, and you’ll be pleased to hear I even refused a piece of stolen cake when it was offered to me by Jane this afternoon. I did have a few pieces of chocolate and about 6 Fruit Pastilles after my even meal though, but at least I didn’t go over my calories.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This should read Stollen cake (it wasn't stolen honest!) :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Just looking at the posts when I noticed my mistake. Going to start the morning off with scrambled eggs and think of something for lunch.
    Must dash if I want to get some exercise in before breakfast
    Catch up with you all later.
    Happy Wednesday my friends.
  • Judexs
    Judexs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone-

My name is Judy and since I'm 49 1/2 I might as well jump on the bandwagon. I've lost weight before on Nutrisystem and my problem is liking salty foods and not being consistent with my exercise. I'm retired from the Army and exercised daily but after some family and financial problems put on weight. I have 16 year old twins who, miraculously, are fairly low maintenance and I just want some motivation to get my lazy butt in gear. Has anyone here tried any of the Jillian Michaels DVDs for exercise? I walk and want to run but until I lose about 30 pounds my knees are emphatically telling me heck no.