WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• lifeis2enjoy
    Options
    Vicki, I have days like this also. I found a lot has to do with the weather, if is is sunny outside & nice my mood is so much better than when it is cloudy, damp, rain, you know what I mean just plain gloomy. It is so hard to do anything, house work, exercise ect. I am not sure how old you are, but is it possible you are going thru your changes, menopause, I started having semtoms when I turned 45. I hope it is not your thyroid, but what you had said is the samething my sister went thru weight gain ect. Have a good day & take care.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    SuzyQ: thanks for your insight about simple vs complex carbs and the info on apple cider vinegar. I too had been wondering about both. I have just one question though... any idea if apple cider vinegar has an expiration date? I had bought some from a health food store about a year ago after reading an article in a magazine but never did try it.

According to Bragg's the shelf life of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is 5 years. So I'd say yours is still good. :wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Quick good morning to all. I am running around getting ready for trip to wedding on Sat. May not be back on here 'til Sunday night, but will try to read if I take my laptop with me--haven't decided yet.

Amanda, Good luck w/your tests.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Barb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Amanda - get well soon. You are in m thoughts and prayers.

Vicki - Have you ever been tested for a sleep disorder?

To all who gave me weight ideas for my arms - thanks! Now for the next two steps: Buy some, and actually use them!

I finally have a few minutes and thought that I would check in. Thaings are about the same around here. The only real news is that tonight I am actually going out to eat with my husband. I have saved 735 calories for this - we'll see if that covers it! (Maybe not.)

Have a good weekend!
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone, cool but nice today, sure glad it is Friday, need to sleep. Had my bedroom window open last night, by morning it was very chilly. Did not want to move out of my bed.
    Rain for the weekend, so this means I can sit and do some work on the comp. No running around. Hope all is well with everyone <<<hugs>>>> and <<<<strength>>>>vibes to everyone, get through the weekend without splurging.

Marilyn
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    lifeistoenjoy, I am 55 years old and am in full menopause. I have not had period since May 2009 so according to dr I am done. I feel that is part of problem but do not really wnat to take hormone repacement so after I get my test results I will go from there. I also have to go to OBGYN soon and get yearly checkup so I will press him for some answers also. I am at a point where if my GP and OB do not help me I am going to go find someone who will. Mary I have never been tested for sleep disorders but I guess this could be problem also. lack of sleep affects so many areas of our lives. thanks for all of your input and help. I really appreciate any ideas you ladies have. It is mostly just nice to be able to write it all down and get it all out. Hope you all have good day. I did have better day. Had a good breakfast. mowed front lawn and moved some tree limbs to road with hubby. had good lunch. took about hour nap. waiting for dr to call with results. he told me today but have not heard yet.
    Vicki M
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    The dinner was great. We went to my favorite Mexican restaurant for the first time in more than 2 years. I cleaned my plate, and was very happy. I did go over my calories, it's hard to tell how much, but my best guess is a little less than 100 calories over, so I am cool with it.

Vicki - Three years ago I was so tired that I could not keep my eyes open. I was gaining weight, and getting depressed about what I felt was a very low quality of life. I was sure there was something wrong with me. I went to the dr., and he immediately said that he thought that I had a sleep disorder. I did not want to believe him, and went another 4 months before agreeing to the sleep study. It was the best thing that I ever did for myself. I wish I had done it years earlier. I had severe sleep apnea. I now sleep with a CPAP machine, which I thought that I would hate, but it makes my life so much better that I am glad to use it. I never sleep, even a nap, without it. Within a few weeks after getting it, I was well on my way back to my normal self. It turned out that even though I thought I was sleeping, I was actually waking up about 25 times an hour. Sheer exhaustion was causing many of my problems. This included some of the weight gain, as I was too tired to move, and often snacked just to stay awake at work. I don't know if this is your problem, but if it is, there is relief. It is amazing how much more rested I feel on 7 hours of sleep, when before I could sleep 12 hours and it seemed to make no difference.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Amanda - Glad to hear you get to go home. I hope you feel better soon.

It must be the moon as so many of us have commented on not getting a good night's sleep last night. Count me in that group.

I had the Subway Veggie delight 6 inch sub tonight. It was only 270 calories quite good and quite filling. I had them toast it before they put the lettuce and the spinach on but after the other veggies. It was so good.

Save journey to all traveling to weddings and to see family.

Have a great evening everyone.

Jeannie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, friends! I did get out for the day in Chicago and walked for several hours...first with youngest son, then with DIL and grand daughter to Oz Park, and then with oldest son to and from dinner. It is still windy but the sun came out for the afternoon and that made it so much nicer. My feet are tired but I love spending time with my children!

Peg: Yes, I am an avid reader and I did read Devil in the White City when our youngest moved here several years ago at his suggestion. It does a great job giving the background of the city today and I love the architecture and planning that was done along the lake. It is a fun city to visit!

SuzyQ: Way to go on your success! Your are an inspiration to me!

vicki: I hope that you get some answers and are able to get some relieve from your symptoms. Everything is inter-related, I believe, and one little problem can add to another until it is difficult to know what caused what. And you are wise to look at many places for help. I think some doctors are less open minded to the "whole person" and too quick to prescribe a pill. The good news is I do think there are more and more doctors who are more open minded to other treatments. Keep us posted and take care!

Mary: Your advice regarding sleep problems are worth pursuing for sure!

Barbliecat: Hope that the shared cabin worked out ok. I understand where you are coming from there! I like my privacy these days.

Everyone, have a nice rest of the weekend. I am looking forward to going to the Saturday market in the morning with the "kids"! Simple pleasures, but the very best kind! Take care, Kackie:heart:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    in st paul with my daughter. limited wifi so I will just say I had the worse flight known to mankind. I was in a middle seat between the two largest males on the flight and baby cried the whole 3 hours and it was extremely turbulent. oh boy. I will hopefully have more time to read and catch up tomorrow. good night all.
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Well we got the results back from the lab as to what caused the stones to develop in Boo's bladder. It's a bacterial bladder infection that apparently cannot be killed with standard bladder infection antiblotics. (Of course right? I always get the animals with the weird diagnosis!) So my vet gave me a different antibiotic that she is to take for 15 days, then we will switch to another for an additional 15 days. He says one kills and slows the growth of bacteria and the other comes in and finishes the job. Then in a month we do another urinalysis to make sure the bacteria is gone.

In a way I am glad it is not due to her diet. I have always fed her high quality dog food, but having to get prescription diet food from the vet is expensive and this whole ordeal has pretty much drained my finances.

Last night I took Boo for her potty break and we walked by two teenagers and the boy of the two said. "Man what a fat dog!" Boo not knowing he insulted her went up to him to let him pet her. I pulled her back and said right back to him, "Don't go to him, he just called you a bad name and it was very rude. I can only imagine what he thinks of me!":explode: And I stormed off with Boo. Now I know it's just a dog and I know she doesn't understand him, but I did. And I figured if he would call a dog fat, he probably sees people and cracks jokes at them too. So I just chewed him out a little. As I walked off I heard him say to his girlfriend, "Well the dog is a little chunky." and she said "Yeah, but she's right, it was a rude remark." I just smiled.

Eeeeewwww....Boo just walked up to me and I noticed she had something hanging off her lip. I pulled her head upwards to see what it was and it was a half eaten spider, Gross!!!:noway: I grabbed a napkin and wiped the remains off of her lips. The other half must have gone down the gullet. Dang Boo, she eats anything! You'd think I was starving her by the way she attacks things when we are walking. (Bits of food, a chicken bone, bugs, a paper wrapper, etc.) I'm always yanking her away from things and we are fighting with each other to get it out of her mouth.:grumble:

Well have a nice weekend everyone. I have tomorrow to look forward to. A whopping 103 degree day. Yippee!:ohwell: Crazy weather.

Chiclet
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I hope you are all doing well - healthwise and every other way.

I'm so glad to be home. Feeling a little depressed as I thought my health was on the turnround after losing all this weight and getting my blood pressure down to normal levels. It looks like all those years of having sky rocket high bp have done some damage to the valves. It's strange, because my angina has been almost non-existant for the last few months, even after lots of exercise.

The doctors at the hospital were extremely impressed with my weight loss though, which is a bonus if I do have to have heart surgery (which is a distinct possibility).

Anyway, nothing much I can do about it at present, so I'm continuing with my healthy eating and will worry about starting up with the exercise again after I've got this sorted out.

It's a chilly day in London today, 9c (about 48f). DH has gone to work today and I'm under instructions to stay home, but may try to get out for a while later on. I can't even knit right now. My grandtwins will have nothing to wear when they are born, at this rate! (Not strictly speaking true as I've already knitted a ton of stuff for them - not to mention the piles of things I've bought them). DD left work yesterday to begin her maternity leave. I'm relieved about that as she is now HUGE!

Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday (79th) so we are all going over to his house for an afternoon tea. I'm going to take some hummous and other dippy stuff with veggies. My brother always takes loads of yummy cheeses and exotic bread, but I will definitely avoid that. My sister is making cakes and flapjacks and my two daughters are bringing salads and similar stuff. Not sure what my son and his fiancee are going to be bringing, but I know it will be delicious.

My next swimming lesson is on Monday morning but I'm not sure if I should go or not. I really want to and I can't see that it will do much harm. I will have to ponder on that one.

Well ladies, I hope you all have a super weekend and don't go to mad with the food. Keep up the good work.

Love

Amanda x
  • vikkij12
    Options
    Hello, always good reading what support you all are to each other. Vickim you must be at the same stage as me, and one of the things that I have found helpful is having a SOY coffee or Chai each day. I did go back to ordinary trim milk when i started on the diet but after 2 weeks of always tired and hot flushes coming back I went back to the SOY. What a difference one glass makes (I have the low fat one now)

Over here we are in the middle of spring and the weather is rather unsettled to say the least but at least we don't get the extremes of heat that some of you have to put up with. I am not a hot weather person and don't mind the cold it is the rain and wind which we are currently getting that gets to me.

After working this afternoon in the coffee caravan I got home and took the labrador pup for a walk. I always feel bad taking her and leaving my old sheltie behind but Trump is totally deaf now and his eye sight is going and Honey the pup gives him such a hard time and he gets confused so I have to take them separately.

Have a good weekend.
  • brio268250
    Options
    Good Morning

Yes, it's a good morning I have already lost 5 pounds and feel I have my life under control again. Thanks to this great program.

I am 55 have been trying to lose weight for over 15 years - quit smoking and had a miscarriage. I used to count calories but

it was difficult to write everything down. I am at work now and can plan everything that goes in my mouth and decide if I want to

have that for lunch or something else....and know the calories/carbs/fat/protein. I can see it working by all you fabulous people

who have met your goals and see all the smiling faces. To do this without surgery is something I admire in all of you. God

bless you all and I pray for you all a happy, HEALTHY life. Looking forward to being me again with the help of this website.

2244877.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I notice that I have missed welcoming some new comers. My apologies. It was not intentional as this forum has grown so much and we all post a lot it makes it easy to overlook something.

Amanda- I'm glad you are home and all things considered things went well in the hospital. It could have been a lot worse, so we are all glad that you are home and getting the care you need.

Robin- Sorry about the trip from ____. At least you are there with family and I hope you have a great visit.

Chicklet - Glad Boo is on the mend.

I love Chicago. I think it is a great walking city. I use to travel there for work years ago and really enjoyed my time there. I already forgot who is there visiting family, but I hope you have a great visit and enjoy the pizza at least once.

Brio- Congratulations on loosing 5 pounds.

Well, it's Saturday so we are off to soccer games etc. I hope to call a family movie night tonight, but we shall see if we can all be home at the same time.

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am enjoying my time here with my daughter. I went grocery shopping last night and i am helping her cook. she never really learned (she is a baker not a chef) so she writes everything down that we prepare together. she has been my biggest fitness pal. she has lost over 50 pounds and she inspired me so we work on it together. she is my best friend in the whole world. today I will experience the Mall of America.

We didn't make it to Zumba last night as we were busy furnishing her apartment. (I needed a place to sit and eat and to sleep:laugh: ) she had nothing.

I need to try to log my food from yesterday so I will go for now. I hope you all have a great weekend.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love those Saturday mornings when we get to sleep in!

Welcome to all the newbies that have arrived over the past two weeks, you have joined the BEST group for ALL around encouragment:drinker: what ever is happening in your life, weight, exercise, drinking water, family, work and all around stress, we are here to encourage you through it all.

TODAY I HAVE OFFICIALLY MET MY GOAL! :bigsmile: I have lost #37 and if I happen to lose 2-3 more it will be a bonus and my cushion for when we go out of town. With last weekends Las Vegas jaunt I wasn't sure if I'd meet the goal this week or not...thank goodness I did, because now I will move on to maintenance and toning...which I'm hoping isn't too hard:huh:

Peg- I have no idea what Opera song Marie Osmond sang, I know she told us but since we know nothing about opera I have no idea, but it was absolutely awesome:bigsmile:

Amanda- glad you are home from the hospital and am praying that your next doctors visit goes well. Glad to know that the Doctor's are impressed with your weight loss...we are too:flowerforyou:

I know there are a lot more that I have read that have things going on in their lives, but I have two weeks of laundry and a house to clean, plus Hubby says as soon as it warms up a bit we will head out on a bike ride, so I best close for now.

Everyone have a good day, get your body moving in some form of exercise:drinker: drink plenty of water and don't forget to log your food...we are in this for the long haul and we want all of us to succeed:smile:

Laura:smile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Laura - that is excellent! How amazing to see that 0 on your ticker. Woohoo!

I think the Marie Osmond operatic song is Pie Jesu, but I may be wrong.

Thanks once again for all the good wishes. You are all so wonderful.

DH brought me a present. It is a white gold necklace with three hearts hanging from it, in graduating size. The largest one has a beautiful diamond on it and it is a locket. The idea is that the three hearts represent my three children and the locket has room for photos of my grandtwins once they come along. It is a beautiful, beautiful present and DH made me cry when he gave it to me. He's not at all romantic as a rule, but when he pulls out the stops, he really hits the spot! He told me that I've always had a heart of gold and this was just to confirm it.

Catch up later.

Amanda x
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sun is out in Chicago...Yea! Still windy and blustery, but much nicer for all the walking around!

Laura: WAY TO GO on reaching your goal! That is fantastic. Keep us posted on the new journey!

Amanda: How sweet your DH was with the necklace...sounds lovely! Hope you can get your swim in on Monday.

Better go get ready for lunch with the kids. We ate at the Green market this morning outside. What a fun Saturday routine to have!
    Take care all, Kackie:heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Amanda...take a picture...I want to see the necklace! :love:

My hubby keeps asking me for my shopping list for when he goes to the Philipines because he's heard he can get some really nice jewelry for not as much money as at home...we will see.

Laura:smile:

PS thanks for the kind words of encouragement....let the new journey begin...just got back from a bike ride:smile: