Plus size model

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    had a massive argument with someone about this on Facebook yesterday
    but this is the standard for plus size models.
    nothing shocking

I could not agree more.

At least 80% of the plus-size models I have seen, since I began wearing plus size clothing in my early teens, had her body. Why is this surprising to anyone?

ETA: I've received a few catalogs over the years, and shopped on a couple of websites, which featured much larger plus size models that some of you may prefer. I really did not prefer that. Even at my heaviest I had a bit more of a proportioned hourglass shape and while I was morbidly obese I still did not look like the catalog/website "real BBW" models who were often all hips, or all belly, and usually seemed to be much shorter than I am. The whole idea of MODELS in my opinion is to show off the clothing and project an image. So seeing a 5'2" G-cup bra wearing model did not help 5'8 DD-cup me decide on a clothing purchase any more than a 5'11" A-cup bra wearing model would have helped me. Just another view.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    She's probably in the lower 20s for bf %... these body definitions are just becoming ridiculous.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    but are her arms disproportionately small, or is it just me? Or photoshop?

I thought they were very thin compared to the rest of her too.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i understand why people get caught up on labels, but I still wish that they didn't.

i mean, it seems arbitrary. just like women's clothing sizes are not consistent from store to store, there are plenty of women who will buy a size 6 from one store because it says "size 6" even though it's the same as a size 8 at another store. why does it matter? because of self-perception... and that's why I understand why people get caught up in it.

but it would be nicer if they didn't.

sometimes, I make no sense, and this feels like one of those times.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the Modeling industry standards. She is on the smaller size of plus size, i guess she is plus size for runway not catalogs.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Well, if average sized women's clothes are modeled women wearing sizes 0,2,4, it makes sense* plus size women's clothes are modeled by women wearing sizes 8,10, 12.

* By which I mean it makes no sense at all -- unrealistic standards of beauty are unrealistic across the board.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There doesn't need to be a "plus" attached to it. She's just a model. And just a woman. And just a size 16. There's no need for a special term for it like it's just outrageously rare and wrong. That's what irritates me. A size 10 is considered plus. Plus what? When I was a size 10 I was pretty damn skinny. I don't get why that just can't be a size, and she just can't be a model.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Is anyone offended that they have higher body fat than plus-sized models?

Is anyone upset that someone 150% to 200% the size of a "normal" model is called a "plus-sized" model?

If you think the woman looks good, why do you care what the fashion industry calls her?

It's not the fitness industry or the sex industry or the "woman" industry. They sell clothes.

Let go.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    She is plus sized though, in model terms.....I don't get it.

Of course she still looks beautiful and fantastic, she's a model. But she is, by definition, physically larger than other models.

Are plus sized models supposed to have fat rolls or something?

I agree.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There doesn't need to be a "plus" attached to it. She's just a model. And just a woman. And just a size 16. There's no need for a special term for it like it's just outrageously rare and wrong. That's what irritates me. A size 10 is considered plus. Plus what? When I was a size 10 I was pretty damn skinny. I don't get why that just can't be a size, and she just can't be a model.

Because to model regular clothing you have to be a size 2 or smaller, mayyybe a 4. Bigger than that size is plus sized. It's not a judgement thing, it means she won't fit in to regular clothing sample sizes.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    plus sized is anything larger than sample size in it's corresponding category.

sample size is a 0-2 cause you want to use as little fabric as possible for samples that may get completely edited out.

so yeah, she is larger than sample. She looks like an 8/10, possibly a 12. Which is the highest size available in contemporary fashion - the second smallest sizing standard available with a price point of $200-$500/piece, before you get into cusp/bridge/missy sizing. This isn't Old Navy.

So yes, she is a plus sized model. She isn't a Misses or Missy or Women's clothing model. She is the top size available in one category of fashion, just one.

There is Designer/Premier, Contemporary/Cusp, Bridge, Modern, Relaxed, Moderate, Budget - she is just a plus sized model for contemporary.

This does not mean that she is a plus sized woman.

JC
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i understand why people get caught up on labels, but I still wish that they didn't.

i mean, it seems arbitrary. just like women's clothing sizes are not consistent from store to store, there are plenty of women who will buy a size 6 from one store because it says "size 6" even though it's the same as a size 8 at another store. why does it matter? because of self-perception... and that's why I understand why people get caught up in it.

but it would be nicer if they didn't.

sometimes, I make no sense, and this feels like one of those times.

because different stores carry different categories of fashion and therefore different sizing standards.

Old Navy is Relaxed/Budget, so you wouldnt wear the same size there as you would at Theory. I wear a 12 in Theory and an XS size 6 at Old Navy - cause two different things completely.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    the bathing suit is still ugly

DID ANYONE NOTICE THE UGLY BATHING SUIT?

With a body like hers, she can wear rags and look stunning..
    Hence.. What bathing suit?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Because to model regular clothing you have to be a size 2 or smaller, mayyybe a 4. Bigger than that size is plus sized. It's not a judgement thing, it means she won't fit in to regular clothing sample sizes.

I agree, I also think that no one should take this situation and let is get you down. Unless you are aspiring to be a plus size fashion model and thought "Plus" size was a bit larger. So just shrug it off and keep working at making yourself healthy!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do not blame Cosmo for this. Cosmo does not make the "sizing". The fashion industry is what makes it. I don't look toward magazines and models because of this. I am not willing to starve myself to achieve those kinds of goals. It's awful, yes. But there isn't much of anything we can do about it until people stop becoming interested in being "perfect". Some people are dead set on having to be just right, and that's something we have to help them through. But until women are unwilling to fit into the fashion industry, it will always be there.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I agree, I also think that no one should take this situation and let is get you down. Unless you are aspiring to be a plus size fashion model and thought "Plus" size was a bit larger. So just shrug it off and keep working at making yourself healthy!

Agree completely. Sizing standards for models have no more to do with my life than weight standards for professional boxers. I don't care what weight class I would fight in, nor do I care what size model I would be (none, incidentally because I'm short and unremarkable looking- the weight would never matter)
  • PatiencePerceptionandPeace
    Options
    10/10 would bang. Wrong thread? She is gorgeous and looks healthy (not knowing her diet and exercise routine, but she appears healthy). And we wonder why little girls are scared to get "fat" when the are 8. Seriously.

This. I remember as young as 6 years old my best friend and I would weigh ourselves in her parents bathroom, back then I always weighed less, but I was shorter then her. We used to take diet pills in the 3rd grade that we stole, not proud of that, but it is what is was. Good times, been obsessed with the scale since the age of 6. To this day I am 90% comfortable in my skin, for it's the one I was given. Daily work in progress here..:bigsmile:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Agree completely. Sizing standards for models have no more to do with my life than weight standards for professional boxers. I don't care what weight class I would fight in, nor do I care what size model I would be (none, incidentally because I'm short and unremarkable looking- the weight would never matter)

The boxing analogy is PERFECT!!

However, the "unremarkable looking" is inaccurate bordering on bullcrap and you shouldn't say that.