Plus size model

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    For the people saying...well yes she is plus sized compared to a "normal model".

See this is the issue.....The "normal" model should be her, why cant we call the tinier model "micro models", that way at least the masses are not reading and seeing a perfectly normal women as being plus sized!

Edited to say - I agree with above comments that a model should just be called a model despite size.

A size 12 is not "normal" by any standard or means...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For the people saying...well yes she is plus sized compared to a "normal model".

See this is the issue.....The "normal" model should be her, why cant we call the tinier model "micro models", that way at least the masses are not reading and seeing a perfectly normal women as being plus sized!

Edited to say - I agree with above comments that a model should just be called a model despite size.

:huh: A size 12 is the average size of American Women. It's also very "normal" for someone who is 6'2" tall. Now it might not be "healthy" for all women, especially those who are short, but it is certainly normal by several standards.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

:huh: A size 12 is the average size of American Women. It's also very "normal" for someone who is 6'2" tall. Now it might not be "healthy" for all women, especially those who are short, but it is certainly normal by several standards.

obesity-rates.jpg

(edited to post a more reasonably-scaled image)

(edited to add this clarification of my meaning: just because "normal" is plus-sized now doesn't mean that we aren't then now normally plus-sized. We needn't pretend like we're not a big fat society.)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

So as a size 2/3 can I get offended because you just called my clothing "sample sized"? They really should all just be models and it shouldn't matter what size they are.

Seriously? Sample size in the fashion world LITERALLY means the size that a sample of clothing is made in.

A designer only makes a few samples of an outfit that they plan on marketing to show on the runway. They don't make every single garment in 20 sizes. Those garments are hand sewn and usually cost a few thousands of dollars to produce. I think it's perfectly fair for the designers to want their models to generically fit into all of the sample clothing they make. Mind you, I think that generic size could stand to be increased a little, but part of being a model is the ability to fit clothing with minimal alteration.

You kind of missed my (sarcastic) point. I don't get offended by people who say things about the size I wear, so I think it's a bit silly to get offended by the reference to any size, which are usually (as you pointed out) terms used within the industry.

Lol okay, so then not seriously ;-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    She's probably in the lower 20s for bf %... these body definitions are just becoming ridiculous.

No, she's probably in the 28-30 range. Well proportioned though. People on here seem to really underestimate their own (and consequently others') bf%.

Not meaning to be ugly, just curious.
    What makes you think that everyone else underestimates, and that you don't overestimate?
    wh

...... Well established fact? 9 people out of 10 on this site and bodybuilding.com put themselves at unreasonably low bf%s. That woman is 25% at absolute minimum, most definitely not "lower 20s"

ETA: Seriously this is true even for me. I tell myself I'm at 20 but in reality when I look at unflexed photos I look more like 25ish. My husband was convinced he was at about 12 and got bodpod tested at 18%, way higher than either of us would've ever thought.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For years I've been told I should be a plus size model, my reply has always been that I'm too "plus size" for modeling. Robin is gorgeous, but I don't consider her to be plus size. In the model world anything higher than a 4 is considered big. So sad.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i want everyone to post up a picture of what "normal" is.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Normal model or normal woman?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

obesity-rates.jpg

(edited to post a more reasonably-scaled image)

(edited to add this clarification of my meaning: just because "normal" is plus-sized now doesn't mean that we aren't then now normally plus-sized. We needn't pretend like we're not a big fat society.)

I wouldn't say a size 12 is "obese" for most women. It isn't for me. I'm still in the healthy body fat range in a size 12. I am "bigger" than most woman (5'9" and large framed) But yes, 50% of Americans are obese, and this is the reason the average size is so high.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Whatever it is, it's not someone 9" taller than average. This topic is like discussing clothing sizes for a 6'8 guy. She's plus size because she's huge.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Normal model or normal woman?

I don't know. I guess I'd consider my self a "normal woman". Although I guess I'm a bit taller than average.

5'9", 160lbs, size 8/10.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say a size 12 is "obese" for most women. It isn't for me. I'm still in the healthy body fat range in a size 12. I am "bigger" than most woman (5'9" and large framed) But yes, 50% of Americans are obese, and this is the reason the average size is so high.

No! No, no, no! I wasn't trying to say that a size 12 was obese at all. Sorry if that came out wrong.

But I'm saying that if 50% of the population is obese, obviously "average" now is MUCH bigger than it was when 15% of the population was obese.

Those nomenclature conventions were not invented in 2010. But I also don't think they should be updated so that we establish the new higher average as normal. Because "normal" is what you would think of as a normal healthy adult weight.

And all of this is just from the perspective of "what things are called". Things are what they are. But what they are called . . . *shrugs*
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

No! No, no, no! I wasn't trying to say that a size 12 was obese at all. Sorry if that came out wrong.

But I'm saying that if 50% of the population is obese, obviously "average" now is MUCH bigger than it was when 15% of the population was obese.

Those nomenclature conventions were not invented in 2010. But I also don't think they should be updated so that we establish the new higher average as normal. Because "normal" is what you would think of as a normal healthy adult weight.

And all of this is just from the perspective of "what things are called". Things are what they are. But what they are called . . . *shrugs*

Here's what I heard: blah, blah, blah, science, science, science, bigger. And bigger is better.

2zrgo6b.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

The confusion seems to lie in the difference in interpretation between the word "average" which really just means the median size of all people in a group, and "healthy weight" which would be within the normal range of BMI and body fat %. Normal conditions right now in the US are that a large portion of citizens are in the range that would be considered above the high end of normal, so this pulls the "average" range to a higher number.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so post what you consider average
  • tomsarahzoey
    Options
    This makes me feel huge! What is this world coming to?!?
  • GingerJenX3
    Options
    Well whatever they call it ....she's a stunner!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else thinks? Ladies be happy with what God gave you. Be thankful your not getting chemotherapy treatments and can't eat. Just STOP this insanity. Love your body- after all it is the only one you have. Embrace your curves if you have them. As long as you get some form of physical exercise a few days a week and eat healthy 80% of the time live your life. Don't let society dictate how you should look and feel.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    She looks good.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    so post what you consider average

If we are to consider the current size of most women in America, the average seems to be a size 12-14, with body fat in the 30-35% range. There are outliers, of course, but if you were to graph it based on what current statistics are, you'd have a graph where the majority of women ended up in those ranges.