Plus size model

Options

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It isn't Cosmo who's setting the standard, people. It's fashion designers. In today's view of models, Cindy Crawford would be considered plus sized because she's curvy.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Lets start using the terms "King Sized" and "Fun Sized". It works for candy bars, and you don't see candy bars getting mad at their labels.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    plus sized is anything larger than sample size in it's corresponding category.

sample size is a 0-2 cause you want to use as little fabric as possible for samples that may get completely edited out.

so yeah, she is larger than sample. She looks like an 8/10, possibly a 12. Which is the highest size available in contemporary fashion - the second smallest sizing standard available with a price point of $200-$500/piece, before you get into cusp/bridge/missy sizing. This isn't Old Navy.

So yes, she is a plus sized model. She isn't a Misses or Missy or Women's clothing model. She is the top size available in one category of fashion, just one.

There is Designer/Premier, Contemporary/Cusp, Bridge, Modern, Relaxed, Moderate, Budget - she is just a plus sized model for contemporary.

This does not mean that she is a plus sized woman.

JC

interesting post. thanks
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    What then if you get a big girl who has nice but generous proportions? Like Wonder Woman. Is she King Fun sized?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    plus sized is anything larger than sample size in it's corresponding category.

sample size is a 0-2 cause you want to use as little fabric as possible for samples that may get completely edited out.

so yeah, she is larger than sample. She looks like an 8/10, possibly a 12. Which is the highest size available in contemporary fashion - the second smallest sizing standard available with a price point of $200-$500/piece, before you get into cusp/bridge/missy sizing. This isn't Old Navy.

So yes, she is a plus sized model. She isn't a Misses or Missy or Women's clothing model. She is the top size available in one category of fashion, just one.

There is Designer/Premier, Contemporary/Cusp, Bridge, Modern, Relaxed, Moderate, Budget - she is just a plus sized model for contemporary.

This does not mean that she is a plus sized woman.

JC

So as a size 2/3 can I get offended because you just called my clothing "sample sized"? They really should all just be models and it shouldn't matter what size they are.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    She's probably in the lower 20s for bf %... these body definitions are just becoming ridiculous.

No, she's probably in the 28-30 range. Well proportioned though. People on here seem to really underestimate their own (and consequently others') bf%.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

So as a size 2/3 can I get offended because you just called my clothing "sample sized"? They really should all just be models and it shouldn't matter what size they are.

Seriously? Sample size in the fashion world LITERALLY means the size that a sample of clothing is made in.

A designer only makes a few samples of an outfit that they plan on marketing to show on the runway. They don't make every single garment in 20 sizes. Those garments are hand sewn and usually cost a few thousands of dollars to produce. I think it's perfectly fair for the designers to want their models to generically fit into all of the sample clothing they make. Mind you, I think that generic size could stand to be increased a little, but part of being a model is the ability to fit clothing with minimal alteration.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    She's probably in the lower 20s for bf %... these body definitions are just becoming ridiculous.

No, she's probably in the 28-30 range. Well proportioned though. People on here seem to really underestimate their own (and consequently others') bf%.

I'd put her at 25%. And yes, well proportioned. I don't look that nice at 25%.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I'd put her at 25%. And yes, well proportioned. I don't look that nice at 25%.

I agree with the 25%.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Not meaning to be ugly, just curious.
    What makes you think that everyone else underestimates, and that you don't overestimate?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for misunderstandings.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I was reading about her recently! It seemed that the size 16 thing may be an error because she is listed closer to an 8-12 most places. MIND YOU European and Australian sizes are not the same as US so we may be saying about the same thing (a 16 could equate to about a 12). Basically, if she is 6'2" and a US 12 then she is probably quite slim and simply solidly built, which is why she is plus size but looks so great and well proportioned with no visible fat. Basically she has a very unique and beautiful body type.Totally frustrating how even the standard for "larger" beauty is slim and virtually unattainable.

Also, for anyone interested Cosmo put out this article to try and make up for the negative feedback: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/plus-sized-models

ETA the full shoot. Personally I think she looks like less than 25% BF but I'm no expert. Love the blue bikini, kinda want to buy it. http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/robyn-lawley-swimwear
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised but I don't really follow things like this.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am more offended by the hideous bathing suit.

No matter how gorgeous she is you are not selling me on that swim wear!

^^:drinker:
  • mccindy72
    Options

Seriously? Sample size in the fashion world LITERALLY means the size that a sample of clothing is made in.

A designer only makes a few samples of an outfit that they plan on marketing to show on the runway. They don't make every single garment in 20 sizes. Those garments are hand sewn and usually cost a few thousands of dollars to produce. I think it's perfectly fair for the designers to want their models to generically fit into all of the sample clothing they make. Mind you, I think that generic size could stand to be increased a little, but part of being a model is the ability to fit clothing with minimal alteration.

You kind of missed my (sarcastic) point. I don't get offended by people who say things about the size I wear, so I think it's a bit silly to get offended by the reference to any size, which are usually (as you pointed out) terms used within the industry.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Not meaning to be ugly, just curious.
    What makes you think that everyone else underestimates, and that you don't overestimate?

Definitely this.
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    She's gorgeous!! so if that's what they call plus size, I'd take her sexy body over a match stick any day!!
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was striving to be regular size not plus size but this sure does look a lot like my goal body :s
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For the people saying...well yes she is plus sized compared to a "normal model".

See this is the issue.....The "normal" model should be her, why cant we call the tinier model "micro models", that way at least the masses are not reading and seeing a perfectly normal women as being plus sized!

Edited to say - I agree with above comments that a model should just be called a model despite size.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Wow, she is certainly plus sized. Perhaps her bathing suit is misleading, I wouldn't object to seeing some photos of her without anything on to be able to more accurately define her bf%. ;-)