Maintenance Thread

Options

Replies

• mia66
    mia66 Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi everyone: So much to catch up on reading for a week.
    SH Boss- I so agree on setting goals to keep motivated. That is what I discovered worked best for me early on. I give myself physical and food related challenges. I keep them on a chart on the fridge so I can visually see them and track them as I am sucessfull. Once they have become a part of my routine I find that I need a new challenge and there are lots to choose from. The ideas just pop in my mind by reading something or hearing something health related.
    Small challenges and big challenges are great, whatever will improve your life. Even personal or social challenges are important.
    Happy you brought this up.
    My week was good. I maintained my weight this week again ( 124.1- 125.9 pounds) my weight was 124.4 pounds. I feel a little more level this week and was very satisfied with the amount of food I ate each day during the week. My energy levels were great.
    Have a good week everyone and thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Mia:bigsmile:

368038.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Can I friend you guys? Too many of my mfp friends hardly ever, or never, log on, so I could do with more inspiration!

Feel free. :)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi! I still have a bit of weight to lose (15lbs) but I have been a yoyo dieter for years and would love to join in your maintenance thread when I have reached goal. I find keeping the weight off harder than losing it! Hope thats ok!

Join us whenever you are ready. Let us know if you'd like some advice on the transition to maintenance too--there is a wealth of experiences on this as well!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome Rebecca, I joined in when I was really close as well. Yo-yo-ing is what we all fear!

For the past month, I have been doing something different and I think it might be working. I am allowing myself some splurge days here and there and simply watching on the other days. I have also taken to fasting for short periods (22-24 hours) once a week (personal reasons). I seem to just be maintaining doing this.

As for my calories being low...My allowance is 1350 and then I eat most of my exercise calories....at this level I seem to be maintaining. It is low but I really do not know what else to do about it except focus on building muscle. I do the basic weight machines at the Y three times per week. It takes me about 30 minutes to go through most of them doing 3/15.

I think many people experience a slowing of the metabolism as they age because of muscle loss.

I have started asking my thin and fit friends (most in their 40's) if they have to focus on it or if it just natural and each one has said, "OH, YES! I have to work at it!" So this myth that being skinny is effortless once we reach our goals is just that, a myth! Each person I have spoken to has said it gets harder for them as they have aged. They all seemed to have accepted that this is just how life is now. One of them said the easiest thing for her was to become vegetarian. Then when she doesn't eat all the garbage no one thinks anything of it.

I think there is a bias that thin women cannot have fun. Because we decline going to the Melting Pot (a fondue restaurant) and gorging on melted cheese and chocolate that we are now no fun. Because we limit out drinks when we go out or choose not to drink at all...no fun. Because we are making careful choices then they feel guilty about making bad choices...

:angry: Arrgh, so sorry for that little vent.:blushing: I just hate it all but it really did help me to hear from these friends that they struggle with the same issues and that it is hard for them, too.

Have a great Monday everyone!

D
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just found this thread and although haven't read all the past posts, I know I will need some help on maintenance as that's where I always fall short. I"m looking forward to chatting with others who have met their initial loss goal and are now working toward staying there!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! hope all is well and that most of you have a day off today.

Welcome Martha--great to have a new maintainer on board. We all seem to be in sync with how tough it is to stay where we are so you will be in good company.

well, I'm not too encouraged about upping my maintenance calories. I have been trying to up it by 3-5% each week (maybe 50-75 calories) and finally hit 1500 this week, with an additional 6 1/2 hrs of exercise. I hopped on the scale this morning and am another lb higher. So I know I'm in range of my maintenance weight, but I was 123 a few weeks ago, now I'm 125. I feel like I look the same and clothes fit great, but if I don't reign it in now, where is it going to next week and the week after?? UGH....I guess I need to be happy at 1410 and call it a day.....or, be happy at 125 and not a few lbs lighter. The problem is that once I saw those lower #'s on the scale I want them back, even if it's not rational at all......

Donna, I liked your rant. thanks for that. I get lots of looks from other people about what a good cook I am because I am thin and people don't think I could possibly cook well, or even enjoy eating and making good foods. But hey, I love it! Love sweets, wine, high fat cheeses. Just now know how to manage the quantities so they work within the plan.

I have learned to be a closet obsess-or over calories and weight and try to do whatever I can beforehand to allow myself to eat like everyone else if I am at a get-together, or out to dinner as I don't want to call attention to it. I have learned I get eye-rolls from others if I even mention my exercise or eating plan. This is one of the reasons why I like to chat with all the people here who understand instead of those friends in my life who really don't.

Anyway, hope you all have a nice rest of day!
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Robin, I understand what you are saying. I used to be like that, but I am slowly learn the right balance. I used to get looks and comments and I used to get upset. Now I just kinda try to be honest and say I learning a healthy lifestyle day by day, trying to find what works for me. Usually , the eye rolling stops.... I guess if people see me struggle then they don't just assume that I am healthy without working at it. But, it is very hard and there are days I refrain from saying my workout or new healthy recipe idea!

Have a happy healthy day!!!!
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Robin, I'm right in your range also. Hit my goal of 130 and MFP indicates I should be able to maintain at a bit over 1500 but I find that since I do occasionally go 'over' or have a day of setback a week that keeping it slightly under gives me a little wiggle room. Right now my target is 1450 and I need to see how that goes for a few weeks since I just hit my target last week. Guess this will take some playing around to see what works for me individually. I know I'm bouncing up and down a lb but when I see it go up a lb it does freak you out thinking that its a trend that will continue upward.

I am a 'sweet' aholic and find the past week that I"m sneaking a few more in than when I was on the weight loss part. I've got to learn not to do that but last few days haven't been good on that front. I also have a bad habit of weighing daily which is bad for the normal daily fluctuations.

Glad to be on this journey with others. Like so many of you, I have found that publicly I don't even mention to others that I have to work so hard at maintaining a weight. Its just not worth hearing people tell you that you are thin enough and don't have to worry about it. Let them believe its easy for me if they want to think that but I know better!
    Martah
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So this week I've been at 1450 and today and tomorrow I'll save a few calories after my weekend chocolate binge :embarassed: ... But I stepped on the scales and saw an extra 4lbs! I know that that's probably just water weight but knowing that I'm not necessarily at a deficit makes it a lot scarier. I've been really busy (just started a new job) so exercise has had to a back seat for the past week which means I've actually eaten quite a lot less than I would usually... Definitely goig to have to find a way to become an evening exerciser (I'm far far better in the morning).
    @Robin - lol I can't decide whether it's comforting or depressing that your thin friends have to work so hard... Id like to think that now I'm at goal I'm going to magically transform into a girl with superhuman metabolism and stays slim on a diet of biscuits and bread. Alas... I'm not sure I should be counting on that
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think a weight where I could only eat 1450 calories, or even less, wouldn't be my ideal weight! I guess, by accepting that, that I'm saying I'm never going to be as skinny as some of you. I would keep losing at 1450 now, but at your bmi I might start gaining too. I think, personally,as a desert lover, I shall stay at my happy weight rather than my perfect one. :wink:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I think a weight where I could only eat 1450 calories, or even less, wouldn't be my ideal weight! I guess, by accepting that, that I'm saying I'm never going to be as skinny as some of you. I would keep losing at 1450 now, but at your bmi I might start gaining too. I think, personally,as a desert lover, I shall stay at my happy weight rather than my perfect one. :wink:

Interesting -something that hasn't really crossed my mind........
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options

If I thought that by eating more food I would eventually plateau then I would be happy with the higher weight. But this has been such a slow journey for me. It took over 5 years to lose those 63 pounds so my maintenance and my weight loss calories are not very different. :cry:
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options

i completely agree!!!! there are times (lots of them) when i wonder if i should be closer to 120-124 as my maintenance weight, but realistically i am happy where i am at and i know that i can eat treats when i need, i mean want, to :) my ideal weight would be great to be at, but i don't know that i would be able to maintain it for any extended period of time...this is how i feel today, but i do change my mind from time to time...
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Unfortunalety, even the charts and calculaters would show a little less than the above calories -( if I didn't exercise) for my weight, hieght and age on a daily basis. So Yes i have to exercise to eat more. I am assuming it has to do with everything slowing down with age. Also, if one would really think about it - if all the calories consumed were healthy, natural foods it would be more than enough. It is when we try to add the processed and fast foods and the larger portion sizes that we have trouble.

I don't know - I have the same struggles as everyone else trying to maitain a healthy weight. (again from the tables and charts and not the one in my head!) . But I guess that is why we are here!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So I know I'm in range of my maintenance weight, but I was 123 a few weeks ago, now I'm 125. I feel like I look the same and clothes fit great, but if I don't reign it in now, where is it going to next week and the week after?? UGH....I guess I need to be happy at 1410 and call it a day.....or, be happy at 125 and not a few lbs lighter. The problem is that once I saw those lower #'s on the scale I want them back, even if it's not rational at all......
    I'm always at my heaviest this time of year and I am trying not to panic because I know I'll get back up to my summer workout load by the end of April, but it's hard not to panic or be unhappy because of the number on the scale.

But I think it's really important once we get close to our goal to focus on things like body fat %. If your weight on the scale went up because of muscle then you are now taking up less space. Which means you are smaller even if you are heavier on the scale. IOW, it's a good thing. But, if it's fat, then it's something to worry about. And, if it's water, then it's temporary and neither a good nor a bad thing.

My body fat % has remained the same so I think I am gaining a combination of fat and muscles. I will know for sure next month when I get a dunk test done again.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad mfp and this thread are here so that I can join in this kind of conversation. In the 'real world' it wouldn't mean much to most people, seeing as they have no idea how many calories they consume. Thanks everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    How have I missed this thread?? ..bump
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone -- Haven't contributed too much to this thread recently as I seem to be having a different problem. I am now struggling to regain about 5 pounds from my low of 133. I raised my calories to about 1700. If I eat in my normal manner, I still come out under my allotted calories by about 200 a day. This is fine, as I am now eating about 1500 calories. I do believe that I have gained about 2 full pounds, bringing me back to 135 pounds.

I think this will be fine. 135-138 seems about right. I am trying not to weigh myself but instead I am going by the way I feel and the way my clothes fit. I notice that my jeans (size 6) and fitting a little more tightly. They are jeans. They are supposed to fit tightly! I will "weigh-in" at the end of the month and just make note of any changes. I may or may not update my ticker. I am waiting until they have the new ticker for maintenance and/or weight gain.

The test will come when I see more pictures taken of myself. Seeing myself at 133 was not a pretty sight. I am the first to admit when I have made an error.

Maintenance takes as much concentration and effort as weight loss. I am so happy to see that so many of you are doing so very well.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Barbie, good for you!!! I think recognizing that one can be too thin is a real sign of wisdom. We only have one body and we need to care for it. It is possible to abuse our bodies just as much by being underweight as it is being overweight.

I really do think that I have found a comfortable pattern for maintenance. My weight has not changed now for a couple of weeks. Yes, the calories are low most days but I do have occasional splurge days. So it really all evens out.

D
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Macmadame, I really wish I knew what my body fat % was. Everyone says that the scales and hand held are inaccurate as are other methods except immersion and the other expensive ones.

At this point in out lives, I just cannot rationalize the expense. But the curiosity level is overwhelming!!!:laugh: