Maintenance Thread

Options

Replies

• gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Wow it sounds lovely - I love coral, its such a lovely colour to wear with a tan. Im sure you will feel fab on the cruise.
    I haven't got out of the habit of black yet - something to work on.....lol

Donna - I know its such a great feeling wearing what you want!!!

Hope everyone has a great day. x
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I love wearing coral!! It is my best color!!!

D
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    @ maxine-- you are just like us! I think we all agree that we have become more obsessive about this since starting maintenance. It is tough to figure out the right amount--it takes time. I have been trying for almost a year and still am working at pinpointing the right number. great job in the your first few weeks of maintaining though. Keep checking in and we'll all work with you on it.

Shopping! Great topic. I just bought 3 new pairs of pants about 2 weeks ago and felt great and slim. Then I went away for the last week and at the same time was visited by the time of month. So here I had: extra eating. No exercise, and TOM = tight new pants. UGH....very depressing. I know....by next week all will be better but it was kind of a bummer to feel chubby in my brand new clothes when I went out this weekend. Oh, and I have the black problem too --except my range is black, charcoal, maybe cream and a little slate blue and olive green. Whenever my Chico's--bright color-pattern-wearing mother sees me she tells me how dull my clothes are. I would say "sophisticated" but hey, I digress...... spring will be here hopefully sometime soon and we can all try to break out into a few new happy colors to show off our happily-maintained figures :smile:

About maintaining--I'm with DeeDee---I didn't know before I joined MFP, but now I realize that exercise will be part of maintenance life, and just as much as I was doing when trying to lose. There are no shortcuts to staying fit and looking good. Wish it was not so..but it's reality. And as Altushe mentioned, having this community has helped a ton. I didn't use it very often while I was losing weight but was so confused when starting maintenance that I sought out help here. Everyone has been amazingly helpful and supportive and I'm so happy to have "met" everyone here.

Welcome newcomers! Look forward to more input from you all!

Have a great day! Robin
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.200543583.jpg

This is my bit of celebratory colour :love:

It's amazing. It arrived last week and it cinches at the waist perfectly. As my husband said, it makes me look even slimmer (he also said I choose strange clothes, but I'll forgive him that :laugh:).

Next to get the perfect pair of jeans that don't bag all over the place!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I'm going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and while I have a closet full of cocktail dresses and such for formal nights, I have a nasty, nasty habit of wearing a lot of black, and for this cruise not only do I want to look fabulous, but I want to wear something more tropical. I tried on a few things today, one of which was black but such a pretty shimmery gathered fabric...I couldn't resist trying it on and LOVED it but then saw the same dress in coral and remembered my goal to get something colorful. There was a sales gal standing nearby so I asked, "Do you think I can pull off wearing this color? I'm trying to get away from black but I think this might put me over the edge." Her very kind reply was, "Absolutely, I'm pretty sure you would look good in just about anything." Awww...I really appreciated that, especially compared with the days when I would be mortified at the thought of dress shopping.

Aw what a lovely thing to hear! I'm sure it's beautiful. Oishii - tried to see what you posted but it said access denied... hmm... dunno what's going on there :s

Robin - thanks! I definitely will.

I was so exhausted when I came home today I went on a massive binge (I mean MASSIVE. What I wrote in my diary x 100000 lol), justifying it along the way with "maxine, you should relax with food, some ice cream is NOT going to kill you, yes you CAN eat a whole loaf of bread, at the end of the day its 3500 cals in a pound!" etc etc :huh: lol I'm not quite sure that that's the best rationale... Oh well, the morbidly obese child living in my head has a point I guess, I'll just save a few calories over the next 2 days to clear up a bit of the damage. But my calorie consistency plan is NOT going well :grumble: !

Ah the perfect pair of jeans - I always find they take a while to track down but it's the BEST feeling when you find them. I had to wear a belt yesterday with my "yay I've lost weight" gift to self I got last month which was a surprise! Better was when I saw I'd had to make a new whole because the belt was too small last time I wore it (a year ago I think) and now I'm on the smallest hole!! Very exciting NSV.

Lol, Robin I'm wearing exactly those colours you mentioned now! That's what makes up my wardrobe too. It's all about the dark colours :tongue: (MFP is underlining my spelling of colour in red... very annoying)
  • DianaM1020
    DianaM1020 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm maintaining too at 136 lbs (5 '4). I know this is going to be the hardest part. My goal is to never get above 140 (until I get pregnant). This post has been helpful, it's great to meet other maintainers.
    Good luck everyone!

* Are you all still weighing in on Fridays? When should i check back to stay accountable? :)
    THANKS!

Diana
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Maxine, I chuckled reading about your massive binge since I just got back from a weekend where there were buffet breakfasts and I totally binged. I gave up even trying to log anything, made up the day's quick calories at over twice my daily allotment. After returning I decided not to weigh on Monday but today I weighed and was shocked to see I was up 3 lbs. Sure am hoping this is water weight since I've been bad on the water too. Anyway, had a good couple first weeks of maintenance but now realize I can't go very far off the wagon as it jumps right back on me so quickly.

I've also enjoyed reading about your clothes shopping. I experienced the same thing last week. I tried a bunch of stuff on and they all fit great and finally looked fantastic!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Still staying the same! Does this mean I have something figured out???:laugh: :laugh:
  • gailosborne
    Options
    I think you do Donna!!

Oishii I love the top - its lovely!!!

Here's something - I put on almost 3kg approx over the year I have been maintaining but my measurements were going down as did my dress size so I didn't count it as a gain. It was loss of fat and the building of muscle. Anyhow - now my measurements are pretty static - I lost over an off my waist this last time we measured - slowly but surely I am finally burning the last fat off my tummy!! However now the kgs I 'gained' have gone in the last 2-3 weeks. I've been doing heavy weights alongside the running and cycling and my metabolism or something has picked right up.

Well keep at it maintainers - we can win the battle!!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I was so exhausted when I came home today I went on a massive binge (I mean MASSIVE. What I wrote in my diary x 100000 lol), justifying it along the way with "maxine, you should relax with food, some ice cream is NOT going to kill you, yes you CAN eat a whole loaf of bread, at the end of the day its 3500 cals in a pound!" etc etc :huh: lol I'm not quite sure that that's the best rationale... Oh well, the morbidly obese child living in my head has a point I guess, I'll just save a few calories over the next 2 days to clear up a bit of the damage. But my calorie consistency plan is NOT going well :grumble: !

The way I look at it is this. Cycling your calories and having both lower and higher calorie days is an accepted practice to ensure you properly fuel your metabolism. When losing weight, or even being strict about trying to maintain, it's easy to get so regimented that you're not even eating your daily requirements. If you always eat low cal, you're also putting your metabolism into 'survival mode' and your body will try to store, store, store whatever it can. So consistent occasional higher calorie days can be beneficial to show your body that excess is available, you are not starving or just barely making your nutritional ends meet, it does not need to stay constantly in survival/storage mode. So, you had a high cal day, then you're keeping your metabolism guessing by compensating for it. I don't feel in a million years like I could get away with eating a loaf of bread, I'd blow up like a water balloon and be miserable for days, but as long as it's part of an overall plan that balances out, I just call it living, and intentionally incorporate lows & highs on a weekly basis. It can be a good thing, just like mixing up my exercise routines :)
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Gail, that is amazing news!!!:flowerforyou: I would rather weigh more but have muscle any day!!! Congrats! It is working!!:drinker:

Hi Dianna! Welcome! As a 46 yr. old woman, I love the sound of maintaining "until I get pregnant". :heart: I miss those days! Congrats!

Maxine, I agree with Jersey. I have been doing pretty well here right now. I tend to stay under M-Th, then I try to fast of Fridays (religious), and then on Saturday and Sunday I allow myself to go over. My husband works out of town and a restaurant meal is usually in the mix over the weekend. I LOVE Japanese food and as my husband is Filipino, anything with rice works for him. So, when we go out, I have no idea how many calories are actually in that food. I just eat it and enjoy!:blushing:

Carbs and breads could be a killer for me but I have found a nice solution for myself. I now make these yummy bran muffins and I put tons of protein powder in them. So, when I need a "bread" fix, I grab a high protein muffin. Sometimes I make them in a chocolate flavor. My family thinks they taste like cardboard,:laugh: but for this chick (free of processed sugars for almost 6 years) they taste great!:love:

D:flowerforyou:
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    just seen this thread, have been maintaining for 2 weeks and I find it harder then losing the weight, I know what I gotta do to lose but to maintain I start panicing for some reason, stayed the same for the first week and lost a lb the 2nd. know that's normal to go up or down a couple of pounds a week so not worried about that. think I'm scared in case I start eating the wrong things, still can't do the eat 1 biscuit, it's all or nothing....
    am extremely happy to have lost 3st 5lbs, now weight 135lbs which I think is ok for me as I'm 5ft 7" and a UK size 10, it's brilliant going shopping for clothes now, can buy what I like instead of what covers everything ;-))
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Well, Gail inspired me to retake my measurements. Somethings are sad like my breasts are literally disappearing! But the measurement I could not believe is my lower abdomen! Even though my weight has stayed basically the same since November, I have lost 7 inches, yes! count them! SEVEN inches in my lower abdomen!!! I have lost about a half of an inch to an inch in other places like my thigh etc. Also, according to my highly inaccurate body fat% reader, I have lost 0.7% body fat since November as well!

Thanks for inspiration Gail! This made my day!!

D
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Its so brilliant Donna! So exciting. Yey for muscles and boo to fat!! I am also finding my chest a bit depressing - sometimes when I run I imagine it dissolving away lol!!!

Hi Carolinegeorgia You'll be fine...we are all finding it scary too but but I do think it becomes easier as you go on.

Hope everyone is having a good day. x
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I haven't posted here for a while as I haven't had much to report. I'm still logging my food everyday and eating and exercising pretty much the same however I've drifted to the top of my goal weight range but have stayed stable there. I'm trying not to worry too much, I'm working out pretty hard with weights at the gym and have had a noticeable increase in muscle size and strength which was my main maintenance goal.

I haven't lost as much weight as some of you but have gone from bulging out of a size 12 to comfortably fitting a size 10 and sometimes an 8 in trousers depending on the shop. Unfortunately I haven't had the money to go out and buy many new clothes so I'm still mostly wearing size 12 jeans with a belt. I have got a few smaller items ready for summer though and I'm looking forward to wearing better fitting clothes and showing off my hard work.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I went over my calories yesterday because I was hungry, and today because my parents brought cake :laugh:

As I've just bought new scales I can't really say if I've finally worked out my maintenance calories or not. I'm glad mfp is here to tell me what I might weigh if I kept going over.

I seem to be a 3 biscuit girl right now, but that's better than 6 or 10 or 20, right?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I wondered if any of you have some insight into what to eat before a race. I have an evening race on Saturday and I know I'll need to eat something for supper (or at least a snack to tide me over). What do you eat prior to a workout or race?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I wondered if any of you have some insight into what to eat before a race. I have an evening race on Saturday and I know I'll need to eat something for supper (or at least a snack to tide me over). What do you eat prior to a workout or race?

what kind of race?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I eat normally the day before a race but I also try to eat light foods and not heavy ones. So chicken instead of steak, for example. Then the morning of the race I have an entire routine based on how long the race is and what time it starts.

The one triathlon I did in the late afternoon, I had a normal lunch and then a PM snack and then my normal race nutrition during the race. It started at 4pm.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the race is 300 m swim and 3 km run and it's in the evening--8 p.m. (a friend of mine was actually convinced this was a typo because she didn't think a race would be so late LOL) Anyways, that's part of my dillemna. They are going to feed the racers something at a reception afterwards, but I don't think I can go that late without supper. I'm thinking a nice light supper like sushi or salad (with chicken). I'm just curious what others eat before a race--if there is some foods that help performance like complex carbs or protein and how long before you would eat them to get the best effect.