From Obese to a size 4- 61 lbs down with PCOS!

Options

Replies

• nnelson33
    nnelson33 Posts: 101
    Options
    WOW! Thank you all so much for the overwhelming support and kind words! When I get a chance, I will detail out what worked for me! An important lesson to learn is that your body becomes so used to your routine that it is important to be able to change and adapt. You had the strength to change it once, remember to keep pushing! :flowerforyou:
  • LouiseChe
    LouiseChe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with PCOS, so this is so inspiring to me. I was told that I would always be overweight because of PCOS, and not to expect that to change. Thanks so much for posting this. You were stunning before, but you look absolutely fabulous now! Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a wonderful journey and so inspiring to share. You look fabulous!
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You look so happy and beautiful!!! Congrats on your accomplishments. :smile:
  • hautetheory
    Options
    You have always been pretty. Great job at getting healthy.
  • chunkyhoney78
    chunkyhoney78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This gives me more hope to lose weight with PCOS.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The moral of my story is ALWAYS, no matter what life throws at you, do NOT give up. Reflect and think about the progress that you have already made and I guarantee you, you will not want to start over. It may take longer, but it always important that you get back up one more time than you have fallen. Small changes in everyday life add up to BIG changes in the long run.

I leave you with this: "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -Earl Nightingale".

This is awesome!! Great job on your path to healthy!:happy:
  • laylaloves
    laylaloves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing, you look great. You are a great inspiration to everyone. I am absolutely greatful for you. Thank you.:bigsmile:
  • maddy_smiles
    maddy_smiles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow...you look radiant in the last photo. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh.....you are a beautiful young lady.... Thanks for your story. It's an inspiration to the rest of us.
  • nnelson33
    Options
    OKAY! So some answers to your questions!

1) I have learned quite a bit about this whole process, and adaptability is the key to success. If you have ever met someone who did not hit a plateau in their weight loss journey, PLEASE send me their contact information. I want the key to this very frustrating problem.

PHASE 1: How did I start? I started with MFP, plugged in my numbers, and to lose 2 lbs a week, I needed to "net" 1200 calories. This method got me to lose the first 25 lbs. So with this method I was eating back some of my exercise calories and was eating everything in moderation. I used to run cross country and I didn't absolutely hate it so I would work on running a mile or running for time. I did virtually all cardio because I didn't dare enter the first floor where all of the "bros" were (intimidation factor) and I had no real idea of how to use the free weights/machines.

PHASE 2:
    However, I started to stall out and could not figure out what to change. I had a few strategic things happen to me at this time, I was getting severely discouraged at this point, but when the girl at the front desk said, "Hi Nicole, nice to see you again" it made my day. I always felt like I was going at everything alone and that I didn't have a community to participate with. Also, I finally bucked up the courage to get a personal trainer. I was scared but it was ultimately the best financial decision I have ever made. I could get an "unlimited amount of sessions" at a discounted rate. I have always been a people pleaser, so even if at this point I wasn't "doing this for myself," I did not want to disappoint him. My original goal was to lose weight for my sister's wedding and in that year's time I lost 48 lbs.

When I got my trainer, I switched from 1200 net calories, to eating 1500 consistently and NOT eating back exercise calories, and doing weightlifting. This was really the jumpstart that my body needed. At this phase, I started to eliminate bread, rice, and pasta from my daily diet. Having PCOS and trying to stick to a low GI diet (google if you haven't-it's about not having glucose spikes), unfortunately these foods just really couldn't be a part of my daily plan.

I was sticking to mainly lean meats (chicken breast, turkey, and fish), vegetables, fruits and dairy within the 1500 calorie limit.

PHASE 3:

When I started to stall out again, I had to take a much closer look at how I was appropriating my calories within each macro. In order to get "lean" because I had to face it, I was NEVER going to be skinny. Just doesn't happen for a PCOS girl, but it's something I've learned to embrace.

In order to build muscle most people shoot for about 1 gram of protein per lb of body mass (i.e. 150 grams of protein for 150 lb person). I had also read somewhere that someone else with PCOS was consistently losing at 90-100 grams of carbs a day, and mine had consistently been 120-130 (not terribly high by any means but not quite getting the results I wanted).

My macros are now set to 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 35% fat. I have to supplement my diet with protein powder in order to get adequate protein numbers but they're not too bad :) Also, for me restricting my carbs to 90-100 grams a day was pretty tough, and to make sure that I would hit them I started to pre-log. That way I didn't find myself at the end of the day having gone over accidentally by 20 grams. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE UNLIMITED FRUIT?! This was the biggest disappointment ever, but you better believe I savor every apple I eat.

OKAY! WORKOUTS!
    Do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)! It is the best and fastest way to get your calories burned without having to spend hours on a cardio machine.

WEIGHTLIFT! Lift HEAVY!

LIFE ADVICE:
    Try to be realistic with yourself about what you may look like at your goal weight. I had never been thin before so I had no concept of what my body would look like at 150, 140, 130 etc. I randomly chose 130 18 months ago thinking that was right in the middle of the healthy weight range category for 5'4". To my dismay, I still didn't have the body of a VS model. Wait, what?!?!

Remember your accomplishments and where you came from. I'm starting to make peace with myself and my body, and starting to appreciate what I considered my flaws (I have HUGE quads, but they help me run fast!!)

My trainer said after I had complained about not being Miranda Kerr, "Rome wasn't built overnight." The idea of wanting immediate results would get me discouraged more often than not, so instead of wanting to be "done" in a month, I started expanding the scope of my goals. I mean I did want to be fit and skinny for the REST of my life, right?

Okay, feel free to send me questions if you have specfic questions! My diary is open to my friends!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful, you have a beautiful spirit within and you have made beautiful results for your life! Fantastic!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thx for the detailed explanation above! Definitely gives me something to think about.
  • nnelson33
    Options

I just wonder if there is anything you might be able to pass on which you discovered was of direct benefit, that another can consider in their life style.

This.

Also, thank you for sharing. I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and am struggling to find what works for me. I am getting my life back, and will not sit on the side lines!

I would say, don't let whatever condition you have define you. I am not always perfect about this (when I'm struggling with food) but coming to terms with yourself and stop treating yourself like a victim, everything just goes so much better. Just because you're at a disadvantage doesn't give you the right to completely throw in the towel! :)
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Fabulous, you look great. It shows there is hope for all of us in the PCOS boat. Thanks for the encouragement .
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Congratulations on your weight loss...you look amazing!
    I had a total of 61lbs to lose too! I am part way through! Lost 19 1/2 lbs!
    So thank you for posting and helping me have the drive to continue!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahmarshwiggle
    Sarahmarshwiggle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely fantastic :)
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Beautiful!
  • Nikole505
    Options
    i would love some of your reciepes you use? im struggeling with "good" reciepes for PCOS. Soem of the "healthy" reciepes dont seem that heathly. Please help! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!