From Obese to a size 4- 61 lbs down with PCOS!

Replies

• Wow...great job...you look amazing!
  • That's a triple hurdle! Good on you for overcoming all the odds :D
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    OKAY! So some answers to your questions!

1) I have learned quite a bit about this whole process, and adaptability is the key to success. If you have ever met someone who did not hit a plateau in their weight loss journey, PLEASE send me their contact information. I want the key to this very frustrating problem.

PHASE 1: How did I start? I started with MFP, plugged in my numbers, and to lose 2 lbs a week, I needed to "net" 1200 calories. This method got me to lose the first 25 lbs. So with this method I was eating back some of my exercise calories and was eating everything in moderation. I used to run cross country and I didn't absolutely hate it so I would work on running a mile or running for time. I did virtually all cardio because I didn't dare enter the first floor where all of the "bros" were (intimidation factor) and I had no real idea of how to use the free weights/machines.

PHASE 2:
    However, I started to stall out and could not figure out what to change. I had a few strategic things happen to me at this time, I was getting severely discouraged at this point, but when the girl at the front desk said, "Hi Nicole, nice to see you again" it made my day. I always felt like I was going at everything alone and that I didn't have a community to participate with. Also, I finally bucked up the courage to get a personal trainer. I was scared but it was ultimately the best financial decision I have ever made. I could get an "unlimited amount of sessions" at a discounted rate. I have always been a people pleaser, so even if at this point I wasn't "doing this for myself," I did not want to disappoint him. My original goal was to lose weight for my sister's wedding and in that year's time I lost 48 lbs.

When I got my trainer, I switched from 1200 net calories, to eating 1500 consistently and NOT eating back exercise calories, and doing weightlifting. This was really the jumpstart that my body needed. At this phase, I started to eliminate bread, rice, and pasta from my daily diet. Having PCOS and trying to stick to a low GI diet (google if you haven't-it's about not having glucose spikes), unfortunately these foods just really couldn't be a part of my daily plan.

I was sticking to mainly lean meats (chicken breast, turkey, and fish), vegetables, fruits and dairy within the 1500 calorie limit.

PHASE 3:

When I started to stall out again, I had to take a much closer look at how I was appropriating my calories within each macro. In order to get "lean" because I had to face it, I was NEVER going to be skinny. Just doesn't happen for a PCOS girl, but it's something I've learned to embrace.

In order to build muscle most people shoot for about 1 gram of protein per lb of body mass (i.e. 150 grams of protein for 150 lb person). I had also read somewhere that someone else with PCOS was consistently losing at 90-100 grams of carbs a day, and mine had consistently been 120-130 (not terribly high by any means but not quite getting the results I wanted).

My macros are now set to 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 35% fat. I have to supplement my diet with protein powder in order to get adequate protein numbers but they're not too bad :) Also, for me restricting my carbs to 90-100 grams a day was pretty tough, and to make sure that I would hit them I started to pre-log. That way I didn't find myself at the end of the day having gone over accidentally by 20 grams. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE UNLIMITED FRUIT?! This was the biggest disappointment ever, but you better believe I savor every apple I eat.

OKAY! WORKOUTS!
    Do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)! It is the best and fastest way to get your calories burned without having to spend hours on a cardio machine.

WEIGHTLIFT! Lift HEAVY!

LIFE ADVICE:
    Try to be realistic with yourself about what you may look like at your goal weight. I had never been thin before so I had no concept of what my body would look like at 150, 140, 130 etc. I randomly chose 130 18 months ago thinking that was right in the middle of the healthy weight range category for 5'4". To my dismay, I still didn't have the body of a VS model. Wait, what?!?!

Remember your accomplishments and where you came from. I'm starting to make peace with myself and my body, and starting to appreciate what I considered my flaws (I have HUGE quads, but they help me run fast!!)

My trainer said after I had complained about not being Miranda Kerr, "Rome wasn't built overnight." The idea of wanting immediate results would get me discouraged more often than not, so instead of wanting to be "done" in a month, I started expanding the scope of my goals. I mean I did want to be fit and skinny for the REST of my life, right?

Okay, feel free to send me questions if you have specfic questions! My diary is open to my friends!

Amazing success story and thx for taking the time to share your story and tips. Can relate to most of your story (200 pounds at 10 and in and out of a diet since than), believe me. I have a long way to go, but making life changes, one day at a time. Your success inspires me to not give up. You look great!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    You look great
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Congratulations!!! YOU are very inspiring!
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Congratulations - great job!
  • nnelson33
    nnelson33 Posts: 101
    Here is what I was eating for the majority of my journey! A message to a friend I had written a few months ago:

Typical food day for me (I do my best to do low carb because of my condition)

Bfast: Greek Yogurt (Chobani is da bomb) and/or 1 cup of berries/some granola, eggs & bacon, WATER

Lunch: 4 oz. chicken/turkey, vegetable (with hummus, greek yogurt dip from costco, or salad with low fat dressing)
    Mix it up: cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts (almonds, walnuts), fruit

Snack: Fruit/protein bar

Post-workout: Protein shake

Dinner: Chicken, low fat hamburger, tofu, vegetables, olive oil (try to limit butter). I do a lot of sautéing and Trader Joes makes some super awesome sauces that are super easy and not too bad (Island Soyaki is awesome for stir fry). Also grilling is my fave!
    Here you could do complex carbs like: brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans, chickpeas/garbanzo beans
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    You look beautiful! And you seem so happy. Congratulations!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    You look amazing, job well done :)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Wow! Our stories sound really similar. This has given me hope that maybe I can lose weight too!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member

wedding.jpg

You are just so BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats to you for all that you have accomplished!!
  • mikeandkate
    mikeandkate Posts: 22 Member
    Wow beautiful lady! You look amazing! I also have PCOS. Losing weight is the best thing you can do for yourself with PCOS as you know. Inspirational!
  • nnelson33
    You look absolutely gorgeous! You've had that beautiful sparkle in your eye even before you lost the weight, I hope you never lose that :)

I didn't take the time to read through the other comments, so maybe you already answered this, but I was curious to know if you noticed any of your PCOS symptoms diminishing after you lost the weight? I have it, too, and I've read about others getting relief, or PCOS practically disappearing completely, and just wondered if that happened with you?

Either way, you look fantastic and I bet that's how you feel, too. :) You have every right to be proud!!

Thank you so much! I've been meaning to respond to this. Unforunately, no, all of my symptoms have not gone away (still don't have my period, and I still have issues with hair, even though it's much better). I do however finally have an appt. with my OBGYN this week and I also watched a video with Jillian Michaels in it (she has PCOS too!) and she recommends seeing an endocrinologist as well. I want to get all of my blood work done again to make sure that my glucose levels are okay! Wish me luck!!
  • Awesome!:smile:
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    good job!! you look beautiful before/after
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Way to Go!!! You are beautiful with that lovely smile!!!
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    daaaaaaaaang. beautiful before AND after.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Love this!! Great job!!
  • nnelson33
    thank you all so much! :flowerforyou:
  • Wow you were already beautiful and now you just look fantastic and gorgeous!! Congrats! Have you been maintaining for very long? Is it difficult? Because that has always been a problem for me...I lose but then gain it back later
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!