From Obese to a size 4- 61 lbs down with PCOS!

From the time I was young, I have always been overweight, noticeably from I would say the age of 8. I remember being noticeably bigger than all of the other girls that I played sports with, having to buy XL uniforms, when I was just as active as any of my other friends. Sure, I did not eat a super "clean" diet as a child, but definitely no different than any other. I developed low self-esteem early on and just for the life of me could not figure out why I was different than everyone else. Fast forward to junior high and high school, nothing seemed to work. I would lose the same 10-15 lbs every time but I could never make it past that first threshold. FINALLY, in high school I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is a condition that throws all of your hormones out of whack making it so I would never have a period and insulin resistance. My doctors have told me that having PCOS makes it essentially 3 times harder to lose the weight than an average person.

Being overweight from a very young age caused me to start to develop certain beliefs about my life and my journey has been far from easy. All I ever wanted to was to feel "normal" and not disgusted every time I looked in the mirror. Having started and quit a million times over because I didn't know how to get past that certain hurdle caused me to question, "could I really do this?" Was being "skinny" even in the cards for me? And I really started to believe that it wasn't.

I'm not 100% certain what it was about this time around, but in less than a year and a half I have gone from being obese to the smallest I've ever been, and a size I never thought I could possibly fit into. In this past year and a half, I have battled PCOS, several stress fractures in my foot, chronic knee problems, etc. but the question I would start to ask myself when I felt like quitting was "do you really want to give up on yourself now?" When I couldn't run for 5 months because of my foot I found alternative ways to get my exercise in (swimming, bike, weights).

The moral of my story is ALWAYS, no matter what life throws at you, do NOT give up. Reflect and think about the progress that you have already made and I guarantee you, you will not want to start over. It may take longer, but it always important that you get back up one more time than you have fallen. Small changes in everyday life add up to BIG changes in the long run.

I leave you with this: "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -Earl Nightingale".

Okay, now for the pictures!!!!

SW: 193 (tight 16/18)
CW: 132
GW: 130 (size xs/s in shirts, 4/6 in pants)

BEFORE:
sunriver2.jpg

Ak2.jpg

grad1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

AFTER:

1490580_10153678943140512_1573288094_o.jpg

whistlermomma.jpg

wedding.jpg

Replies

• You look beautiful x
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Very inspiring! You look great!
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    that´s about what I have to lose! Thank you for sharing! You look great!
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Amazing, the last pic is gorgeous!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Fabulous!
  • donkeypoop
    donkeypoop Posts: 64 Member
    Congrats!! you Look soo great!! What a great accomplishment!!
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Fantastic! You look amazing. Thanks for posting!
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Congrats and ur looking lovely in ur pictures!!
  • AmigaDona
    AmigaDona Posts: 13 Member
    great, you look soooooooooooo beautiful, congratulations :smile: :happy: :smile:
  • Joleca
    Joleca Posts: 29 Member
    Wow!!! you look wonderful.. and you're an inspiration to the rest of us.. I'm hypothyroid so also have the harder to lose problem. I'm 4' 11" and this time started at my highest weight ever - 170+... Also doing WW and my goal with them is 120 (highest allowed for my height).. My personal goal is 105 which will get me back into the size 5's in my closet.. Reading your story makes me really feel I can do this!!

Thanks!!!! :flowerforyou:

Joanna
  • Taylorxxlynne
    Taylorxxlynne Posts: 210 Member
    Wow! You look amazing! :)
  • dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Stunning! Great job.
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    You look absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on all your hard work
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    awesome transformation! you nailed it!! btw the blue dress looks hot!:drinker:
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Wow, you are beautiful! Congratulations on all your hard work paying off!

And I agree with everything you have to say, about getting back up again, when you fall down. Having a strategy to deal with failure is very important, I find.
  • iamliamsmom
    iamliamsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Congratulations! I too have PCOS, and completely understand your struggle. I've recently re-started my weight loss journey, and your post has definitely inspired me. What did you find the most challenging throughout your journey? Would appreciate any suggestions you may have!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Congrats on every pound! You look fabulous!
  • tinnyhinny
    tinnyhinny Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for sharing. You look amazing! Your hard work has paid off.
  • debsocwk
    debsocwk Posts: 123 Member
    You look great! Congratulations
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Congrats on all your hard work despite the road blocks! You look awesome :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!