Texting in Movie Theater

Options
pawnstarNate
pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
Fatal shooting in Florida yesterday over a man texting his daughter during the previews.

I'm definitely not one that is attached to my phone. So, it bugs me to see others using their phone or texting at inappropriate times. To the point I would use aggressive force or even shoot someone for it? No.

So, the question is.....if you are going to text or use your phone at the movie theater. Shouldn't you remove yourself to the lobby as to not to irritate the other patrons?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty attached to my phone. And I've texted in a movie theater. I'm not sure how it could bother someone so much if you aren't making noise, and the screen is dim. And during the previews this happened? Damn. Florida is scary. He'll probably get off, especially since he's a former cop.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If the other option is death? Sure, sure, I can put down my phone...
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Gotta be more to the story, right?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    During the previews it wouldn't bother me, but during the movie it is distracting. If I pay movie ticket prices I want to be able to get lost in a movie for a couple of hours with a light display drawing my attention away.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    There is pretty much nothing else that gets under my skin as badly as someone texting or looking at their phone while I'm trying to watch a movie. I work in the film industry and that is my escape. When I shell out $15 for a movie ticket I expect it to be quiet in the movies (unless people are laughing at a funny moment, or screaming in terror from a scary moment) and to not have to be distracted by someone's phone screen lighting up. Do I understand why the guy was mad? YES, ABSOLUTELY. Was it worth killing/hurting someone over? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But people these days need to learn to respect others at the movie theater, and everywhere else in public!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty attached to my phone. And I've texted in a movie theater. I'm not sure how it could bother someone so much if you aren't making noise, and the screen is dim. And during the previews this happened? Damn. Florida is scary. He'll probably get off, especially since he's a former cop.

yeh...it was a definite over reaction by the retired cop....and I don't think it would bother me during the previews or if the screen is dimmed.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    What can you expect from them Crazie Floridians...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    During the previews it wouldn't bother me, but during the movie it is distracting. If I pay movie ticket prices I want to be able to get lost in a movie for a couple of hours without a light display drawing my attention away.

Agreed. I had a smartphone for awhile and I just did not get that into it. I felt it wasn't really worth the $ and sold it for more than I paid. I honestly feel a bit sorry for people who are SO attached to their phones that they seem as though they really can't relax and enjoy any other experience fully.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You're at the God-blessed movie theatre, turn the freaking phone OFF.

It's ridiculous that a person can't take a 2-3 hour break from texting or calling someone. You're not that special!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    this is the perfect movie theater:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options

It's ridiculous that a person can't take a 2-3 hour break from texting or calling someone. You're not that special!

No I agree, turn off your phone. But, it was the fricking previews and it was texting... how loud is that. I would have moved.
    Crazy freaking retired cop. Hope he gets nailed to the wall for this.:mad:
  • Seajolly
    Options

Agreed. If you're a doctor or another person that needs their phone on them at all times, then just exit the movie theater to check your phone. It isn't that difficult!
  • summertime_girl
    Options

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.
  • Seajolly
    Options

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.

There was a time before cell phones, and everyone was fine with not being able to reach someone for an hour and a half to two hours...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    this is the perfect movie theater:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout

No, b/c it says to pay extra to sit near the elderly and in this case someone wound up dead from that.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My husband has threatened to kill people texting on their phones during a movie, but I don't *really* think he'd do it.

He'll complain (to me...... a lot) if it's during the previews, but he doesn't get bent out of shape unless it's during the actual movie.

People with OCD really can get VERY worked up over stuff like this though.

ETA: the issue with the OCD is that he HAS TO look at the flashing light, and possibly try to read what is on the screen, it is incredibly distracting for him and makes him understandably frustrated.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Or the grown men arguing and then getting shot.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Times change. There were also times when I couldn't send a contract via email, and a kid could ride in the front seat without a seatbelt, and women couldn't wear pants. Technology changes, and we adapt with it, or to it, or in spite of it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    My husband has threatened to kill people texting on their phones during a movie, but I don't *really* think he'd do it.

He'll complain (to me...... a lot) if it's during the previews, but he doesn't get bent out of shape unless it's during the actual movie.

People with OCD really can get VERY worked up over stuff like this though.

Maybe you should PERSONALLY pat down your man for weapons before entering the theater with him. Just sayin'.