Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.

There was a time before cell phones, and everyone was fine with not being able to reach someone for an hour and a half to two hours...

Agreed- and though it's not summertime's fault that her clients get pissy, it's still a distraction to have that light display turn on. And yes, crying babies are a distraction too, but that's not the topic of this thread. There was also a time when parents could go to a movie without the need for their kids to reach them right away. If I am going to go to a movie, I am going to make sure I trust my sitter enough to take care of my kids without the need to reach me for a couple of hours. If something goes wrong and they have to call 911 that's just a risk I take leaving the house. There is no reason to not go to the lobby to check a phone call or text.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.

There was a time before cell phones, and everyone was fine with not being able to reach someone for an hour and a half to two hours...

In summertimes defense, my 7 yr old has seizures and I do have my phone on me in the theater. Luckily she's never had a seizure during a movie but, I keep it on and just turn it on vibrate for that reason. There have been times I've received texts but, I kind of cover the phone and peek at it.....reply after the movie. If it was our sitter, I would think something was wrong and politely step outside the theater though.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    My husband has threatened to kill people texting on their phones during a movie, but I don't *really* think he'd do it.

He'll complain (to me...... a lot) if it's during the previews, but he doesn't get bent out of shape unless it's during the actual movie.

People with OCD really can get VERY worked up over stuff like this though.

ETA: the issue with the OCD is that he HAS TO look at the flashing light, and possibly try to read what is on the screen, it is incredibly distracting for him and makes him understandably frustrated.

Wow. The fact that you don't *really* think he'd do it means that there's a part of you that is actually concerned that he would. I personally would be really, really concerned if my husband threatened to kill someone for texting. I mean like, really concerned. To the point where I'd have to make sure he wasn't sneaking weapons in someplace.

Yet he opens his mouth and complains about it which would be bothering the people around him a lot more than someone texting on a phone.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    All in all I do not see that a man was shot for using his cell phone. The altercation that ensued between the two men ended in the shooting. Their were rules against both bringing the phone into the theater or using it there AND having weapons in the theater. It appears that rule breaking and ego's were responsible for this death.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY think you should leave the theater to use your phone. The light is SO IRRITATING!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally ridiculous that a person can't go a couple of hours without texting or calling someone while they are at the movies. It's not a crime worth killing someone over, though.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Yep. If your kids can't be without you for 2-3 hours, then why are you going out? Stay at home and rent a movie.

I don't condone shooting people in a theatre for texting though. Just wanted to make that clear. :drinker:
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You're at the God-blessed movie theatre, turn the freaking phone OFF.

It's ridiculous that a person can't take a 2-3 hour break from texting or calling someone. You're not that special!

Just because you are less rude than people who bring in a crying baby doesn't make it acceptable. It is rude and distracting to text or play with your phone during a movie. "Changing technology" does not make it less rude or distracting, either.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    During the previews, I don't care. But during the movie, I have been the one to get the manager involved and get that person removed. I paid my ticket and don't want to be distracted. If your text message is that important, you do not need to be at the movies.

That said, shooting someone is just a bit over the top. And now a toddler is fatherless because of some overzealous idiot.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My husband has threatened to kill people texting on their phones during a movie, but I don't *really* think he'd do it.

He'll complain (to me...... a lot) if it's during the previews, but he doesn't get bent out of shape unless it's during the actual movie.

ETA: the issue with the OCD is that he HAS TO look at the flashing light, and possibly try to read what is on the screen, it is incredibly distracting for him and makes him understandably frustrated.

Wow. The fact that you don't *really* think he'd do it means that there's a part of you that is actually concerned that he would. I personally would be really, really concerned if my husband threatened to kill someone for texting. I mean like, really concerned. To the point where I'd have to make sure he wasn't sneaking weapons in someplace.

Yet he opens his mouth and complains about it which would be bothering the people around him a lot more than someone texting on a phone.

This is what I was talking about. The intolerance and then inflamed egos is what can get out of control. The simple rule break of the cell could and should have been handled with those charged with handling it. The movie staff.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I also have a concealed carry permit. But, rarely carry my gun into places like a theater or retail store. The way society is though, I may be sorry I didn't some day.
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's awful :( ( I don't text during movies. I put my ringer on silent mode.)
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cell phones in a theater are annoying, but the penalty should not be DEATH! Why in the world would anyone bring a gun into a theater? This country has gone insane.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

So move seats.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Gotta be more to the story, right?

yeah, the dude threw popcorn at him.
    the shooter was just standing his ground.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    You're at the God-blessed movie theatre, turn the freaking phone OFF.

It's ridiculous that a person can't take a 2-3 hour break from texting or calling someone. You're not that special!

Just because you are less rude than people who bring in a crying baby doesn't make it acceptable. It is rude and distracting to text or play with your phone during a movie. "Changing technology" does not make it less rude or distracting, either.

Shrug. With the screen turned down, the sound off, there's no way you'd notice I was texting anyway. I don't chat, I check. If I have to respond in detail, I leave. Though getting up and walking through would probably be more distracting and annoying.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Agreed. If you're a doctor or another person that needs their phone on them at all times, then just exit the movie theater to check your phone. It isn't that difficult!
    [/quote]

I agree with this. I am a corporate pilot and am on call 24x7. The only problem with your statement is I had a guy behind me get pissed off because I left the theater three times during the movie to check messages. It seems like you can't win either way. Trust me, I wish I could turn off my phone for 3 hours at a time, but my contract requires me to be able to be reached and return messages when I am on call. No way around that other than not going to the movies at all, which would not make my wife happy.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So, the question is.....if you are going to text or use your phone at the movie theater. Shouldn't you remove yourself to the lobby as to not to irritate the other patrons?

Yes

2dm9lxi.jpg
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear about stuff like this it just makes me sad.

On the texting front: I put my phone away when I'm out with peeps. I just think it's common courtesy. I'm addicted to my phone, but it makes me sad when you look over at a table of four people and they're all consumed by their phones and not interacting with each other.