Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the number of people in this thread justifying their rudeness.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

+1
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

"A list of prohibited items and behavior in their theaters are on the theater website. Among them: no cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed."

Old nut brought a gun to the theater even though it's specifically prohibited. Rules didn't apply to him I guess. Very rude.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

"A list of prohibited items and behavior in their theaters are on the theater website. Among them: no cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed."

Old nut brought a gun to the theater even though it's specifically prohibited. Rules didn't apply to him I guess. Very rude.

If both are kept put away, you would never know who the rule breakers are.
  • rml_16
    Options

No one is saying what he did was OK. It absolutely was not. But the question in the OP was "is it OK to text during a movie?"

The question was prompted by the incident, but was not a question ABOUT the incident. No one who is sane thinks shooting someone for texting during a movie is justifiable homicide. It is not.

But it is STILL rude to have your phone out and in use in such a situation. If you do it, you're a jerk.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    during the previews.

i fail to see any problem with this.
  • rml_16
    Options
    during the previews.

Some of us actually enjoy watching the previews and pay as much attention to them as to the movie itself. Just because you don't doesn't make it not a problem.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I hate when people are on their phone in the theater. If they are going to talk on the phone they should go outside for it and if they are texting and on facebook the whole time why are they even at the movies? For me, I give people a couple 5 second texts and then i say something. If they are literally just quickly answering one or two texts during the movie i dont mind. Its when they have huge conversations the length of the movie that gets my blood boiling.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I dont mind if people talk or are on their cellphones during the preview though.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

No one is saying what he did was OK. It absolutely was not. But the question in the OP was "is it OK to text during a movie?"

The question was prompted by the incident, but was not a question ABOUT the incident. No one who is sane thinks shooting someone for texting during a movie is justifiable homicide. It is not.

But it is STILL rude to have your phone out and in use in such a situation. If you do it, you're a jerk.

So why are you not a jerk for violating the other rules the theater has in place? It's the same mentality you mentioned earlier. The "me only" I believe it was. "I know I'm not allowed to bring my gun it but I'm going to anyway." Why is that less wrong or less selfish? I say if you bring prohibited items to the theater you're a jerk.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    during the previews.

...doesn't make it not a problem.

it's not a "problem". it's a mild annoyance. i can handle those, in movie theaters and elsewhere in my life, as the need arises. sheesh.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle when people excuse their bad behavior with "I have kids."

Really? Wow! You actually have children?! What a rare and freak occurence. Not many people have to deal with that. You're so special and brave!

Just wait until you are on the receiving end of a call or text that your child has been in a serious crash and you need to get to the emergency room immediately. And you didn't even know he was out. Life happens. Technology exists. I'm glad it does.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.

There was a time before cell phones, and everyone was fine with not being able to reach someone for an hour and a half to two hours...

A-freakin-men!

Btw, I am the patron that will go and complain and have the offending "texting zombie" removed from the theater or get my money back.

I have no shame. LOL

And most theaters WILL ask patrons to leave if you are using your phone during the movie - regardless if you're texting/talking/etc.... (That's why they have about a billion messages on the screen to shut your phone off).
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

So why are you not a jerk for violating the other rules the theater has in place? It's the same mentality you mentioned earlier. The "me only" I believe it was. "I know I'm not allowed to bring my gun it but I'm going to anyway." Why is that less wrong or less selfish? I say if you bring prohibited items to the theater you're a jerk.

I really dont care if you bring your phone in, as long as you dont use it. If I have my gun, you will never know it.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    during the previews.

Some of us actually enjoy watching the previews and pay as much attention to them as to the movie itself. Just because you don't doesn't make it not a problem.

If you are paying such close attention to the screen, how does someone typing on their phone catch your eye?

I have never been bothered by people quietly texting in a movie. Now, if their is an audible sound, that may bother me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty attached to my phone. And I've texted in a movie theater. I'm not sure how it could bother someone so much if you aren't making noise, and the screen is dim. And during the previews this happened? Damn. Florida is scary. He'll probably get off, especially since he's a former cop.
    It's extremely annoying actually.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, 99% sure that the text that just HAS to get answered during the middle of the movie is NOT "catastrophic accident, on way to hospital". If it was, you'd be leaving before you sent the response. If you feel you must send a response, step outside and stay there until the conversation is over.

A quick check to make sure it's not an emergency I can tolerate, begruddgingly.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    previews I guess doesnt bother me......but people just can't stay away from their phones for nothing...sad really
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I guess I have never witnessed a person texting in the theater. It's not something that has ever bothered me. I don't get how it could be annoying, let alone "rude."
    *shrugs*