Can someone show & explain skinny fat to me?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Throwing in my two cents... I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, just my own personal opinion on the subject from what I've read, observed and experienced. :)

First, I think the phrase 'skinny fat' is an oxymoron. I don't see how anyone can be skinny and fat at the same time. I think I understand though what this unfortunate term is trying to convey.

It means someone who falls within what is considered a 'normal' range of weight for their height/age, but their body looks & feels soft, squishy to the touch and skin hangs loose. This is due to very little muscular structure filling out their skin and giving it definition.

This happens when a person eats at a calorie deficit for a length of time without doing some kind of strength training/exercise to retain/reveal whatever muscular structure they have, they lose body fat but also lose muscle too so there's nothing much left to 'fill out' their skin.

Someone who is above the 'normal' range, or fat, if you will, most likely has a soft, squishy feel too, but they usually don't have loose skin since their body's fat content fills it out and also covers up any muscles hiding beneath. They might still look 'droopy' though in areas from the fat content weight pulling down their skin. What is known as 'flab.' I'm guessing this may be how the phrase 'skinny fat' was coined since loose skin hanging down mimics the look of flab? Maybe? *shrugs*

I believe loose skin with no fat content underneath it is also the reason why some people look older when they lose weight. It's simply because they don't have as much fat content underneath their skin to plump up and/or smooth out any wrinkles they already had.

Lastly, whether you're 'fit and firm' or 'soft and squishy', if YOU are happy, healthy and satisfied with the way your body looks and feels, that's what matters most. :flowerforyou:

/thread

Why couldn't you have been the first reply? We could've saved ourselves from pages worth of people chiming in with their misguided interpretations of what skinny fat means!