What is "too skinny" for you?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• dedgjonator
    Options
    To me too skinny is looking Pale, Gaunt and having bones protruding. For myself I want to be a size 12 again. Currently a size 16. To put that in context a size 0 is a size 6 here.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If I can see your ribs then you are too thin.

whether or not you can see someone's ribs depends on the person's bone structure. Even when I gain weight my ribs are visible.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It depends on body type, and the HEALTH of the person. If the person is healthy, eats healthy, they're fine to me. I'm tired of saying well if they're too skinny. I have skinny friends who are much fitter than I am! There's no such thing as "too skinny" for me. There's such a thing as "unhealthy" or "eating disorder" for me. And that just makes me sad. No one should have to go through something like that. :cry: But it's time we stopped body shaming "skinny" people. As long as they're maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle, it's not my business. And even if they're not. Still not my business.

:heart: this
  • Tebroda
    Tebroda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    An interesting question. I'm 5'3' and I think I look best at around 120 pounds. 115 starts to get borderline too skinny for me. At 110 I look positively ill. I know plenty of women who are my height and 100-110 pounds who look perfectly healthy. It's just not my body type.

There are also people on the large frame side of this as well! I'm 5'2" and when I was less than 125 lbs, I was asked constantly if I was well (by strangers even). Being that it's been about 10 years since I've been that thin, I've set my goal considerably higher. Body composition and general health are more important than weight IMO.
  • graceflower33
    graceflower33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A well groomed meth head?? Lol.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone (except a doctor) should stick someone with a too skinny or a too fat label. I have never been too skinny but I know when I need to loss weight (lack of energy, less agile etc.). I think if you are trying to figure this out for yourself ask some questions such as: "Am I eating healthy regular meals, do I have energy, is my skin glowing, is there a twinkle in my eyes? or "Am I skipping meals, working out 3+ hours a day, is my complexion dull, are people asking me if I'm sick or need to rest". For one woman being 120 pounds could be an easy "natural" weight to maintain and for another it could involve habits that jeopardize her health. Listen to your body.

Whatever you do don't assume other people like to be called "too skinny". A friend of mine, a cancer survivor, was told by a complete stranger that she was "too skinny" and she removed her wig in front of her. (You don't want to be that person).
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think of course everyone is different
    Im around 5'7-5'8 and say 130 is my happy weight...I cant imagine anything under 125
    130 is about a size 4....136-137 is what I am now and a solid size 6
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    For some reason the figure I genuinely love is often looked upon as "too skinny" and I hesitate to be honest about my taste because I feel like it's looked down upon. My ideal would be, for reference, like Sasha Markena. Although it's not my personal goal, it's still what I like the look of the most.
    Always aim for what's right for your body, we're all so different, what's healthy for one isn't for another.
    I totally agree with you.
    And yes!! to Sasha Markena.
    That would be my "dream" body but a little unrealistic for me right now.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP, I very seldom think people are too skinny. Sure there are those who are dangerously thin, but that's an exception, not a rule.

I actually think that the opposite is true. Because we've gotten so fat in the States (and upcoming in other countries) the perception of "normal" has radically shifted. Today's "skinny" person can often be classified medically as overweight. I'm not talking extreme obesity here, or even being "fat" either. I think we are becoming accustomed to seeing excess fat on our bodies to the point that being "just" 10-15 lbs overweight is expected and very typical now.

I think we're at the point that people who have actual very low fat bodies, that are NOT celebrities, are starting to be accused of being "too" thin/skinny/lean.

A couple studies have shown that people these days, by and large, tend to significantly:

Underestimate how much they eat.
    Overestimate how much bodyfat they're carrying.

Evidence of that can be seen on this board when you see women claiming they'll look "anorexic" in a size 8 and average height dudes who think they'll resemble a "skeleton" below 180lbs.

This. So much. X 1 Billion.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I just googled Sasha Markina, and she's got an absolutely gorgeous, rocking body. Holy crap!
  • Madmoog1972
    Options
    I'm 5ft 0in and anything below 55kilos starts to look a bit scraggy. That's a UK size 8-10, which isn't teenie but I have broad build so look odd otherwise. I'm also 40+ so my face thanks me for a bit of padding...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Completely subjective. My best friends wife is 100% healthy BF% and weight, but she's a very slender and has a tiny little frame, very little in the way of curves and not much muscle. I personally prefer a more athletic build and fitness body type like that of my wife...much more muscular and curvy and my wife has a bigger frame...they're both roughly the same BF and both completely healthy and at healthy weights and BF%. Like anyone, I just have my own personal preference.

If you are underweight and below a healthy BF% then you are too skinny...because that's simply unhealthy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I can see your ribs then you are too thin.

I have visible ribs, because I have a large ribcage and I don't carry much fat on my torso. But my body fat percentage is still well within the healthy range.

6e41b931-5e42-4dbe-bfd0-ac11a05d9365_zpsbd0b24c9.jpg
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    if the person looks like this, they are prob too skinny

DancingSkeleton.gif