What is "too skinny" for you?

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thin and well toned is fantastic, but the most beautiful woman I've ever seen is Marilyn Monroe and she was far from skinny.

I really wish this myth would die. Marilyn Monroe was skinny. She was 5' 5.5", and between 115 and 120. Her measurements were 35, 22, 35. In today's clothes, she would be a size 0 to a 4.

The picture everybody loves to post, the one of her on the beach and heavier, is when she was 140, her highest weight after suffering two miscarriages.
    Indeed. In Norman Mailer's biography of Marilyn, he references the notion that she was not 'a mere slip of a girl' and that her body relatively later in her (too short) life may have shown some indications toward weight gain should she have gotten to middle age and beyond, but she was never heavy, even by (arguably) relatively slimmer standards of yesteryear.

Shhh! If it's not from a Facebook post, it's not true!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thin and well toned is fantastic, but the most beautiful woman I've ever seen is Marilyn Monroe and she was far from skinny.

I wouldn't really say she was far from skinny-- she was extremely curvy but she was also very slim for much of her life. I saw her measurements posted once and I wanna say her waist was something like 23" Mine is 25" and I'm a size 2-4.

"Marilyn’s reported measurements (both studio and dressmaker claims) from marilynmonroe.com, the official Marilyn website maintained by CMG Worldwide, the representative for Marilyn’s estate. They are: 37-23-36 (Studio’s Claim), 35-22-35 (Dressmaker’s Claim), and height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches. I will go by the Dressmaker’s claim, seeing as how a dressmaker requires accurate measurements for his work"
    At Marilyn's heaviest she reportedly weighed 140lbs. At 5'5" that is still not a size 16!

Too skinny IMO would be when bones are showing and the person looks gaunt (sunken eyes with dark circles, thin hair) and when that person eats far less than they should.
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can never be too rich, nor too thin. ;) Just kidding. I think too skinny is when someone looks at you and thinks you might be ill.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    It's all preference.

My partner loves my curvy body and has asked me not to get 'too thin' because it is not thing, I don't want to go under 10 stone, even though my 'average' weight should be about 8 and a half to be considered 'healthy'

I like my curves! :)

But then, some people do prefer a thinner lady.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes stats can give a different picture. On mfp, sometimes people will claim certain stats are too skinny (followed by a string of mental and physical insults). But, it does not take into account the variation in frame size. We can't assume another person is too heavy or too thin by comparing them to oneself or to anyone else on paper.

I've always been slender and fit, with a curvy body, and muscle definition. I've had two kids and my waist is still 22 to 23 inches. With vanity sizing I often wear a 00, and in many stores the smallest size is still too loose. IRL, people think I am tiny, but never too skinny or unhealthy. I get much more comments on how strong, curvy, and tiny I look. My doctors have never considered me to be unhealthy or underweight. They put in my chart that I have a diminutive frame. There is nothing that will make my bone structure larger. This is my body. I am healthy for my body and I lift heavy weights. And I would never want someone with a larger frame than me to try and get down to my size. I also eat plentifully.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Gollum is too skinny. :laugh:

gollum.jpg

:laugh:
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    When tits and butts start to go flat when previously they were there.

and

when men start looking all frail, like I could take'em. lol

and the pale, dark circle look from lack of nutrition. Yes I was guilty !
  • glamourita
    glamourita Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Victoria's Secret models are too skinny! I just want to feed them a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs with some French bread with butter!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Someone has to look super malnourished to look "too skinny" to me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The Victoria's Secret models are too skinny! I just want to feed them a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs with some French bread with butter!

They probably do eat that after the runway show is over.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    depends on the person. i like the look of muscles and strength on a woman. i dislike the look of 'skinny' on anybody--thin is ok for girls, fit for guys, 'skinny' for nobody. I like meat, not bones. if i can see the bones of your sternum then thats just scary.. there are some people who look good thin and some people who look amazing with a curvier look. would katy perry, kim kardashian, beyonce, ms hendricks, kate upton, kat dennings or sofia vergara, naturally denser women, look good 'skinny' at 90 lbs? would gwyneth paltrow, lea michele, cheryl cole, kiera knightly look better if they were 130lbs? different women suit different body types. its the beauty of women. i think if you look emaciated and unhealthy, if your skin is sallow and your cheeks deflated, if i can see ribs and bones PROTRUDING, then you are too skinny.

for men, i feel like they shouldn't be even striving for 'skinny'. toned muscles look great on absolutely everybody, and everybody should strive for healthy, strong bodies, hows that?

different strokes different folks. some like thick, some like thin. i like all kinds of bodies, though admittedly, id rather see somebody slightly overweight than slightly underweight. don't know why. its always scared me. maybe it was the ppl with eating disorders scaring me as a kid.the protruding spine!

i like strong, fit, toned, a little meaty, but fit. make sense? healthy.
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Lol.Some of them do eat, but God, some of the models diet is scary. I think as long as a person eats, she shouldn't be considered unhealthily skinny.
  • amandakev88
    Options

I really wish this myth would die. Marilyn Monroe was skinny. She was 5' 5.5", and between 115 and 120. Her measurements were 35, 22, 35. In today's clothes, she would be a size 0 to a 4.

The picture everybody loves to post, the one of her on the beach and heavier, is when she was 140, her highest weight after suffering two miscarriages.

QFT. all this marilyn was a size 14, 18, 12, whatever, bug me. a size 14 then was like a 2 now. she was a small lady, though still relatively curvy.
  • amandakev88
    Options
    ....erased this cause not partaking anymore
  • amandakev88
    Options
    Personally I think too skinny is when you no longer look curvaceous - I've seen stunning beautiful women with lots of curves who diet and then become straight up and down. My dream figure is Kelly Brook!

But saying this some fashion models are stunning also - I guess if everyone looked the same it would be a very boring world :-)

But yes I totally agree, anyone so thin that they look unwell.

yep. when all the womanly curves are gone... too skinny!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Totally subjective. Too many variables

Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com and see what you think from there

I agree. And I love that site!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Gollum is too skinny. :laugh:

gollum.jpg
    ha ha
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, we were doing so well, but I see the calling people "gross" portion of the thread has begun.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    22.jpg
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have a serious phobia of spine bones showing. Like if you see a girl on the beach is so skinny you can see each of her vetebra showing through her skin...I want to puke! I have an actual physical reaction. Spine bones visable. I...just...can't.