What is "too skinny" for you?

Options

Replies

• PaulaCLamb
    Options
    As a Certified Wellness Practitioner in Fitness and Nutrition I would say when the jaw line looks extremely etched, bones are protruding in the neck line and shoulders, the wing bones (scapula) in the back are protruding and legs are looking quite stick like, no bum….then you need to stop and have yourself a super duper chocolate milkshake and sandwich.

Basing your healthy weight range on the BMI chart is good but these parameters have changed due to an ever increasing waistline of the general population..Our waistlines are growing people and for health purposes it is imperative that we take charge through nutrition. Intermittent Fasting is a great way to take charge long term.. I am an IF'er

As a women in your late 30's and going into your 40's keep that body fat percentage a little higher 17%+ as you will need it entering peri menopause..
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    it is difficult to say, because you can be skinny (very skinny) and have no tone or be skinny and have tone. In my opinion, skinny is attractive if the body is toned somewhat. I happen to be skinny, but sadly, i haven't been committed to working on the toned part yet. :(
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I know these are forums and we like to "discuss" different topics, but I can't see how it's an appropriate discussion to bodyshame people, to the point of posting pictures to say, "Sorry. Not attractive."

Oh, but don't you know? It's totally cool to bash on skinny people! They don't have feelings! There's no room for them in their yucky bony bodies. It's science. Real women have curves, bones are for dogs, men should look like He-Man, etc. etc.

People don't even bat an eye at telling someone to eat a sandwich, but those same people would never in their life tell an overweight person to put one down. It's the same damn thing.

i :heart: you

thank you for this, that is pretty much exactly what i was thinking
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Most "hot" female celebrities are very skinny in real life. Camera just makes them look normal. Gwyneth Paltrow comes to mind for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I really try not to care what other people look like or if they're "too skinny" or too fat. They aren't me so it is none of my concern. I'm too skinny when I don't feel strong.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If I weigh less than 125 lbs, I look like a well groomed meth head with inexplicably good teeth. That's too skinny.

Haha me too! Fortunately I've only been under it once and no chance of getting to that weight again :D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most "hot" female celebrities are very skinny in real life. Camera just makes them look normal. Gwyneth Paltrow comes to mind for me.
    Back in her Newlywed days, Jessica Simpson looked a good 20 pounds lighter in person. But she still looked fantastic.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    When you look like Jack Skellington
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I know these are forums and we like to "discuss" different topics, but I can't see how it's an appropriate discussion to bodyshame people, to the point of posting pictures to say, "Sorry. Not attractive."

Oh, but don't you know? It's totally cool to bash on skinny people! They don't have feelings! There's no room for them in their yucky bony bodies. It's science. Real women have curves, bones are for dogs, men should look like He-Man, etc. etc.

People don't even bat an eye at telling someone to eat a sandwich, but those same people would never in their life tell an overweight person to put one down. It's the same damn thing.

Yeah, this.

Also wondering what OPs motivation is for posting this, since she's already been called out in other threads for posting controversial junk. That, along with a blank profile makes me think there be troll here....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Totally subjective. Too many variables

Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com and see what you think from there

Excellent advice. I love that site.

OP, not everyone is after an "skinny" aesthetic. Some people just want to be fit.
  • If I weigh less than 125 lbs, I look like a well groomed meth head with inexplicably good teeth. That's too skinny.

I look like this if I drop below 140lbs
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options

This. :heart:
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. I have a medium frame and fairly athletic build. Ive been down to 125 really I think that's perfect for me. I think at 120 I'd likely lose my athletic look and I take a lot of pride in my muscles, Id hate to lose them.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Like previous people have stated, there are so many different body types out there. I'd say too skinny for me would be when my size 0's are loose or falling off me. My bones protrude in places but Im still within a healthy weight range for my height so I don't think Im "too skinny".
  • esmeylull
    Options
    I didn't really know where to put this question, anyways.

I know BMI's and charts , I am asking about the look. At what point, a person looks unattractively thin to you? Could you give examples from people I might find by google(celebrities?)

Thank you.

I was asking when does a person looks unhealthy to you, I don't call a spesific person unattractive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't really know where to put this question, anyways.

I know BMI's and charts , I am asking about the look. At what point, a person looks unattractively thin to you? Could you give examples from people I might find by google(celebrities?)

Thank you.

I was asking when does a person looks unhealthy to you, I don't call a spesific person unattractive.
    That isn't what you asked.
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Guys , I think you got me wrong. I am not judging naturally skinny OR anorexic people. The question was simply"what looks unhealthy" .I get called too skinny , that is why.
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    personally, i think judging a person's body weight is pretty grim yet here is a forum where you're all picking over what you like to look at 'too skinny, too bony, not enough muscle'. , when probably half of us are paranoid as hell about how we look.

bad form.

edited to say this isn't aimed specifically at the OP, but at the ruminations over several pages of what's OK and what's not. it's all bloody OK. we are who were are, fat, thin, middling, whatever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Guys , I think you got me wrong. I am not judging naturally skinny OR anorexic people. The question was simply"what looks unhealthy" .I get called too skinny , that is why.

But you asked for specific examples of what's "too skinny" (celebrities you could google) and that's where you open your post up to body-shaming.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    personally, i think judging a person's body weight is pretty grim yet here is a forum where you're all picking over what you like to look at 'too skinny, too bony, not enough muscle'. , when probably half of us are paranoid as hell about how we look.

bad form.

edited to say this isn't aimed specifically at the OP, but at the ruminations over several pages of what's OK and what's not. it's all bloody OK. we are who were are, fat, thin, middling, whatever.

^^Well said :smile: