What is "too skinny" for you?

Options

Replies

• MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What looks too skinny to me is different from other people. I think I could thin out a little more in the lower body whereas some people think I'm thin enough. To be fair, I am quite bony on the top part of my body (hip bones protrude, ribs/spine very visible as soon as I start to bend/stretch) but I am not like that everywhere. I'd hate to think people would call me gross because of that considering I eat quite a bit and that's just where my body seemed to have lost the weight. I'm not underweight either.

This. I'm not underweight for my height, but there are places on my body that are more bony than others (and places where there is fat to spare). I am comfortable in my skin even without a lot of muscle tone. I don't think it's right to judge anyone for being "gross" because of their weight or because of their muscle definition or lack there of. I don't judge those who are underweight, overweight, obese, extremely muscular, not muscular, etc. As another poster mentioned, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". As long as they're happy and mentally/physically healthy, each person should decide what weight for themselves that they find "too skinny" or "overweight".
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    for me it was 5'10" 178. I've always been a big kid/guy (and was an all-state offensive lineman in HS) and been able to impose my physical will in pick up basketball games. I was going thru a period where I was doing all cardio and had lost a bunch of weight.

I got steamrolled by a kid who was maybe 160 lbs while chasing a loose ball. That was the last straw on being "thin" and I gained like 30 lbs while maintaining roughly the same body fat % over the next year.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    To skinny is when you see how bony a person is. Skinny doesn't always mean healthy. Personally someone with a little bit of muscle and a little bit of meat looks healthy and attractive. Best of both worlds!

Celebrity examples: Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lawrence.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    'Too skinny' for me would only ever be in relation to health, not size or weight. Everyone is different.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I didn't really know where to put this question, anyways.

I know BMI's and charts , I am asking about the look. At what point, a person looks unattractively thin to you? Could you give examples from people I might find by google(celebrities?)

Thank you.

I know these are forums and we like to "discuss" different topics, but I can't see how it's an appropriate discussion to bodyshame people, to the point of posting pictures to say, "Sorry. Not attractive."
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The answer to that question is going to vary greatly from person to person.

A person is too skinny when that person is unhappy with how skinny he or she is.

Or when that person is a starving child dealing with a famine or child abuse. That breaks my heart.

Or when someone is dealing with an eating disorder and needs emotional support, therapy, and a positive body image.

Or when someone has become hopelessly addicted to drugs and needs to recover but can't on his or her own.

Or when someone has cancer and the skin has become so thin that you can see the bone underneath.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't really know where to put this question, anyways.

I know BMI's and charts , I am asking about the look. At what point, a person looks unattractively thin to you? Could you give examples from people I might find by google(celebrities?)

Thank you.

I know these are forums and we like to "discuss" different topics, but I can't see how it's an appropriate discussion to bodyshame people, to the point of posting pictures to say, "Sorry. Not attractive."
    Agreed. "Too skinny" to me is when it's physically unhealthy and probably leading to that person's death, usually the result of an eating disorder. It isn't about what's attractive.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    For me under 113. I'm 5'3", small boned.

Others- when they look weak and starved. I think of others as too skinny when they completely obsess over their weight and dieting. It becomes a mental illness instead of a way to be healthy.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I'm 5'5", so for my body personally, when I was under 120 pounds was too small for me.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Nicole Richie or Kiera Knightly. They are too skinny in my opinion.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Personally I think too skinny is when you no longer look curvaceous - I've seen stunning beautiful women with lots of curves who diet and then become straight up and down. My dream figure is Kelly Brook!

But saying this some fashion models are stunning also - I guess if everyone looked the same it would be a very boring world :-)

But yes I totally agree, anyone so thin that they look unwell.
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't base it on looks.

I'd say that I'm too thin when my doctor suggests that I put on weight. Or when I'm too tired to concentrate, exercise or carry out normal daily activities.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    If I weigh less than 125 lbs, I look like a well groomed meth head with inexplicably good teeth. That's too skinny.

:laugh: :drinker: :heart:
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    When their skin starts to get that ashy-grey "feed me" tone to it.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Oh, but don't you know? It's totally cool to bash on skinny people! They don't have feelings! There's no room for them in their yucky bony bodies. It's science. Real women have curves, bones are for dogs, men should look like He-Man, etc. etc.

People don't even bat an eye at telling someone to eat a sandwich, but those same people would never in their life tell an overweight person to put one down. It's the same damn thing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Everyone will have a different answer.

I completely agree.

I probably have a much wider range than most people. I have this tendency to think almost all bodies are acceptable looking. I think this is part of why I wasn't that miserable at my heaviest. I've been around others who say "OMG she's too skinny" or "OMG he is so fat" and I just don't have an issue.

Obviously health is important but I find MOST bodies perfectly fine. So my answer would be skewed.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nicole Richie or Kiera Knightly. They are too skinny in my opinion.
    In case Keira Knightly stumbles across this thread somehow, I just wanted to say I think she's drop-dead gorgeous. She rocked the hell out of that wedding dress in Love Actually. :-)

I haven't seen what Nicole Ritchie looks like recently.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am only the boss of me, so I can only say that, for me, when I weigh less than 100 pounds, I look like a bobblehead doll.
  • PaulaCLamb
    Options
    when they start to look like they haven't been able to afford proper nutrition for a long time.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but when someone looks funereal, I start to worry they're going to keel over on me. If you look like you can't lift your own body weight out of a chair, you may be too skinny.