Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    oh well this escalated quickly,dint it? LOL SOrry I missed all the replies. I just wanted to post it because their are a lot of new years resolutionists at the gym this time of year that don't know perfumes and colognes are not cool in gyms.

actually I don't know anyone under 60 who even wears the stuff anymore but whatevs. Just keep it out of the gym

KTHXBAI

34 and wears cologne bc when I do the ladies melt...

It's the loincloth. Ok, maybe it's just me that thinks you are wearing a loincloth. Now I have to go creep your avi and find out because truth is just that important.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I suggest you just stay home. If you are so fixated on perfumes and the like, you obviously are not concentrating enough on your own work outs, and are not really getting an effective work out in.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    oh well this escalated quickly,dint it? LOL SOrry I missed all the replies. I just wanted to post it because their are a lot of new years resolutionists at the gym this time of year that don't know perfumes and colognes are not cool in gyms.

actually I don't know anyone under 60 who even wears the stuff anymore but whatevs. Just keep it out of the gym

KTHXBAI

Which one? You know, for science. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

KTHXBAI

lol fahrenheit 32
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I wonder why if a girl wears perfume/makeup, that it's anyone's business.

:drinker: This.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

KTHXBAI

lol fahrenheit 32

Hmmm, I don't know that one. Come closer.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    So my takeaway is this: :laugh:

If I wear makeup to the gym and it doesn't slide off my face, someone's gonna think I'm taking up/wasting space in the weight room. If I don't wear makeup to the gym, someone else is gonna think I look like smashed @$$holes.

If I wear cute, form fitting workout clothes to the gym, someone is gonna think I am trolling for guys and/or lookin' to get laid, but if I come in wearing an oversized tee and baggy azz sweats, someone else thinks I've given up on myself (in my defense, tho, my baggy clothes ARE laundered and fresh smelling....)

Which brings me to this... If I smell laundered and/or have residual scent from earlier in the day, I am an inconsiderate buffoon who thinks nothing of closing off people's airways, but if I'm not wearing deodorant, my sweat stank is going to get me looked at sideways because someone else is going to think I don't get personal hygiene.

Got it... :bigsmile:

I KNEW there was a reason I purchased equipment for home, lol...because I would offend/be judged by everyone in the course of any given week, lol! Okay, the real reason is because I just love the convenience of having the equipment available when I want to use it, but you get what I'm saying. Nobody is going to make everyone happy.

Edited for stupid auto correct typos...

Re-edited to see if anyone else is suddenly getting advertisements for essential oils on their sidebars all of a sudden, lol!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    As someone that does have severe asthma, and highly sensitive to perfumes, yes the cleaning aisle in the grocery store is torture (so I make my husband pick up anything we need from there), I know it's MY responsibility to control my asthma triggers. This is one of the reasons I have set up my home gym, because here I can control it.

I can't expect to go to a gym and tell everyone don't wear this or that because it might trigger my asthma, that's not their responsibility or problem its MINE. So I found a solution that works for me, if going to a gym triggers your asthma find a solution that you can control.

I don't run outside because running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates my lungs. So I run insdie in a treadmill. Im not super sensitive to perfumes but this gal last night OMG I had to move to a different treadmill- and I couldn't get my airways open for another 30 mins. Just because she wanted to smell "good".

You've gotta be kidding me. You are so beyond dramatic. It's a bit ridiculous. Running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates your lungs? 1) How do you know when they are doing their laundry? 2) Unless you have the sniffers of a dog, I DOUBT you can even smell anything. 3) I can walk/run/jog perfectly past people's homes while they're "doing laundry" and I have severe asthma/allergies and a lung function of 28% that requires breathing treatments multiple times a day. So please save the drama.
  • plkbplkb
    Options
    I refuse to change my routine for anybody else. I use products with essential oils only and give off a slight citrus scent when I sweat at the gym. Too bad.

As for the make-up complainer - I am not going to wash my face after work to go to the gym sans make-up just so that you can feel better about yourself.

Get a life, people.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I just took off my boots and my feet stink! Should I skip the gym?
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    To remove perfume quickly from your skin because of someones allergic reaction, I've found hand sanitizer works well
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU have the allergy, its YOUR responsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

I :heart: you.

And one other thing. I have a strict personal policy to NEVER judge anyone when they're at the gym. If you got your butt to the gym and you're making your life better by trying to be healthy and get fit then kudos to you. If you want to wear makeup and perfume while doing it, so be it.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Actually I do understand about the doing laundry comment, it's not the laundry itself it's the dryer sheets...when the dryer is running and venting the hot air out of the house and someone is using like a Bounce sheet or the like, some of them can be pretty toxic. I've experienced that before, walking by someone's house and the chemical smell is so strong it chokes me. I'm not being dramatic, not crying about it, just saying, yeah that is possible.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options

If I wear makeup to the gym and it doesn't slide off my face, someone's gonna think I'm taking up/wasting space in the weight room. If I don't wear makeup to the gym, someone else is gonna think I look like smashed @$$holes.

If I wear cute, form fitting workout clothes to the gym, someone is gonna think I am trolling for guys and/or lookin' to get laid, but if I come in wearing an oversized tee and baggy azz sweats, someone else thinks I've given up on myself (in my defense, tho, my baggy clothes ARE laundered and fresh smelling....)

Which brings me to this... If I smell laundered and/or have residual scent from earlier in the day, I am an inconsiderate buffoon who thinks nothing of closing off people's airways, but if I'm not wearing deodorant, my sweat stank is going to get me looked at sideways because someone else is going to think I don't get personal hygiene.

I KNEW there was a reason I purchased equipment for home, lol...because I would offend/be judged by everyone in the course of any given week, lol! Okay, the real reason is because I just love the convenience of having the equipment available when I want to use it, but you get what I'm saying. Nobody is going to make everyone happy.

Re-edited to see if anyone else is suddenly getting advertisements for essential oils on their sidebars all of a sudden, lol!

*snort*
    Diet Coke out my nose, yo.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wonder why if a girl wears perfume/makeup, that it's anyone's business.

:drinker: This.

I'll drink to this. Just because we choose to not look like we crawled out of the ditch does not mean our workouts are less meaningful. If you are so bothered by it that it affects your happiness, just work out at home.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Yup!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Love!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Again, this is where education is important. Peanut induced Anaphylactic shock, and death, is extremely rare. Most kids who are allergic to peanuts simply get hives. The very few, (less than one half of one percent) who have extreme reactions have epi pens. And if they are that allergic, it is even MORE important for them to be exposed to daily routine that includes peanuts. You are doing that child no favors by sheltering her. You are doing more harm than good.

Some allergies are cumulative. One exposure can mean hives, and the next can be an anaphylactic reaction - and you can never predict how many exposures it will take to get to be that point. Giving a child an epipen shot, or receiving one from the child's perspective, is (a) not guaranteed to save the child's life and (b) a really scary experience that it is not necessary for that child to ever have to have. It is not ever important or intelligent to expose an allergic child to an allergen. If you mean to say that peanut allergic children need to know how to protect themselves, I agree. I also think that the rest of us can take an important role in keeping them safe. Children aren't always equipped to protect themselves even when they've been told a million times that something will hurt them.

I don't shelter my non-peanut allergic children. I emphasize to my children that we need to be conscious and courteous to other people and do our best to keep other people safe too. I am not doing any harm to my daughter by teaching her that sometimes you have to put a "want" for yourself (like a peanut butter sandwich) aside for the "need" of another human being (i.e. not having an allergic reaction at school). Again, my children, thankfully, do not have food allergies.

Again...education. All allergies are cumulative, but that still doesn't negate the fact that ONE HALF OF ONE PERCENT of all peanut allergy sufferers will experience a life threatening reaction to peanuts. You know what my son's first words are when offered food? "Does it have peanuts?". You know why? Because he is ACCUSTOMED TO BEING AROUND FOOD CONTAINING PEANUTS. Removing harmful substances completely simply makes the sufferer more vulnerable and ill prepared for the "real" world.

And who ever said that they swell up when they smell peanuts on somebody's breath...yeah....BULL****. You do NOT have a life threatening reaction from the essence of peanuts.

everybody loves to be a victim....so much so they cannot even jog outside while others are doing laundry in THEIR OWN ****ING HOUSE?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Some of you need a psych eval. Stat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This makes me infinitely happy that I invested in home gym equipment. Not because of all the things that people are complaining about in this thread - but because in my gym, there is no judgment.

I have my own gym at home too...

...but management there is really critical of me...constantly judging my level of effort and results.

He...um, I mean, "they" also leave the bar loaded after workouts too.

:angry:

This except managment isn't critical of me but there is this guy who leaves weights all over the place and never puts the crap back...

That being said I still wear makeup and cute outfits and when I do finally get back to the gym I will continue no way am I gonna go to the gym looking like crap and if there are "girls" there that are jelly or judging to hell with them as I said too busy pumping the weights up to notice but if I did...

I would be lol all the way home.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This makes me infinitely happy that I invested in home gym equipment. Not because of all the things that people are complaining about in this thread - but because in my gym, there is no judgment.

I have my own gym at home too...

...but management there is really critical of me...constantly judging my level of effort and results.

He...um, I mean, "they" also leave the bar loaded after workouts too.

:angry:

Yes, I agree. However, I am unable to comment on conditions with management, as they also know the passwords on "their" computer. It would just open a whole can of worms that I don't feel like dealing with. Now I'm not feeling so great about having a home gym. :sad: Don't get me started on not re-racking plates.