not sure i can do it.....5k that is

Ok so I will be doing a 5k. I am just not sure when. My husband found one in april he wants me to do. I just started exercising at the begining of this month. right now i cant run for 30 seconds without being winded and light headed. I bought the c25k app and was planning on doing it when it warms up. right now its just too cold to do it outside and i cant go to a gym and use a treadmill cause i cant afford a membership to a gym 30 miles away one way. any advice?

ETA: I have a kid that cant go out in the cold weather for more than a few minutes. So "bundling up and getting out there" doesnt work. Im looking for advice of things i can do in the house.

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    My advice would be to bundle up and get outside.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    My advice would be to bundle up and get outside.

This.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Nothing better than running in the fresh air (warm or cold).
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    I did one and I'm useless in every way..so...just do it dammit
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Ok so I will be doing a 5k. I am just not sure when. My husband found one in april he wants me to do. I just started exercising at the begining of this month. right now i cant run for 30 seconds without being winded and light headed. I bought the c25k app and was planning on doing it when it warms up. right now its just too cold to do it outside and i cant go to a gym and use a treadmill cause i cant afford a membership to a gym 30 miles away one way. any advice?

Sounds like you have some excuses at the ready for why you can't do it. Bundle up and go outside, as others have said. Gradually increase distance, it will get easier as you go. It's not going to warm up for quite a while, so it's easy to say you'll do it then. And by then it will be too late for you to be ready for a 5k in April. If you really want to do it, work through the discomfort and find a way.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Agree, bundle up and get out there. Once you start running, you'll probably find you are quite warm. I've been out in sub-zero temps and after a few minutes overheating can be a problem if I started with too many layers. Try it and adjust, but you'll be fine.

Also, once you start, you won't want to stop each winter, so might as well get started now.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Agree, bundle up and get out there. Once you start running, you'll probably find you are quite warm. I've been out in sub-zero temps and after a few minutes overheating can be a problem if I started with too many layers. Try it and adjust, but you'll be fine.

Also, once you start, you won't want to stop each winter, so might as well get started now.

^^^ This.

Lots of light layers. 5 minutes in you will most likely want to start taking layers off. Just make sure your bottom layer is moisture wicking, you will sweat!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    guess i forgot to mention: I cant just bundle up and go outside i have a kid that cant be in the cold weather. So i literally cant go outside till it gets warmer i have no one to watch her
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    guess i forgot to mention: I cant just bundle up and go outside i have a kid that cant be in the cold weather. So i literally cant go outside till it gets warmer i have no one to watch her

Your hubby can't babysit while you go for a run?
  • mccindy72

Again, excuses? Ask someone to watch her (husband, family member, friend) and go. She doesn't have to go with you.
  • kelseyjsnyder
    We work opposite shifts so when he is home im at work when im at home he is at work. we literally live over 100 miles from our closest family/friend so no babysitter isnt the option hence to why i would like stuff i can do inside. I am not making excuses i am asking for stuff i can do to get ready but stay inside my house with her. if you dont have any advise you have no reason to comment.
    eta:only time we are home together is 12am-3am when i am sleeping cause i have to get up at 3 am and go to work.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    We work opposite shifts so when he is home im at work when im at home he is at work. we literally live over 100 miles from our closest family/friend so no babysitter isnt the option hence to why i would like stuff i can do inside. I am not making excuses i am asking for stuff i can do to get ready but stay inside my house with her. if you dont have any advise you have no reason to comment.

People here have give you quality advice. It just happens to not be the advice you want to hear. IF you wanted to do this, and I'm going my your original post of "my husband wants me to run this race in April" then you would find a way to do it. Boils down to the fact you aren't ready. When you WANT to run, you will. Good luck! :smile:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    I just don't see this happening anytime soon then
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member

Sounds like you're not going to run a 5k. You've talked yourself out of it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    get a baby sitter.

and I see lots of people running in cool weather- throw a blanket over the stroller and go for it.

Outside of people who are morbidly obese with joint/lung issues. You're average (even average over weight person) can finish a 5 K just walking.

get to a gym with a day care center- do your lift- and then go jog around the parking lot so you are used to the cold.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    right now i cant run for 30 seconds without being winded.

that was me, 3 yrs ago, at my lowest, most depressed, frustrated, p***** off point, donning two layers of sweats and hiking boots and hitting the snow-crusted streets. not having exercised, at all, previously. crippled up by debilitating, unrelenting chronic fibromyalgia pain. completely hopeless and angry at the world. (ever been in so much pain you can't work? ever had 0 income due to an 'invisible' illness/disability that no one believes you have? ever been Rxed $200/mo worth of drugs which don't do a damn thing except make life worse?)

at first i couldn't jog down to the end of the block. the dogs could outrun/outpace me. then i could jog/walk a mile. then i could jog a mile. it wasn't long before i was outruning and outpacing the dogs. now i can do 5k in under an hour, no breaks. i didn't have MFP back then. i didn't know about C25k. i didn't have any gym-rat friends. i just hit it, every day, and i very quickly noticed improvement, in my performance and in the rest of my life. then i was hooked. i haven't stopped running since.

i love running in the cold. there's nothing quite like peeling off a layer or two as you're crunching over the snow (because if you don't you'll get too hot and sweaty) to make you feel like a bad@*kitten*! just keep your head and hands covered and make sure you can get out of your sweatshirt if need be.

eta: didn't see the bit about the kid. got nothing.
  • mccindy72
    eta:only time we are home together is 12am-3am when i am sleeping cause i have to get up at 3 am and go to work.

*sigh*. Don't ask for advice if you aren't going to take it. Go outside and run up and down the driveway, or around your house. Pop in and check on her, then go back outside. There's always a way, people find one all the time if they really want to. You aren't going to do a 5K, you aren't interested in figuring out a way to run already.
  • kelseyjsnyder
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen. closest gym is over 30 miles one way. no babysitter to use

Do you have any advice for training while inside my house? thank you.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen. closest gym is over 30 miles one way. no babysitter to use

Do you have any advice for training while inside my house? thank you.

Nope. I'm done. Good luck.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    1. Get a treadmill
    2. Jog in place