not sure i can do it.....5k that is

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen. closest gym is over 30 miles one way. no babysitter to use

Do you have any advice for training while inside my house? thank you.

Sadly, training to run is not just about Cardio. In fact, cardio is the easiest part. C25K will transform you into a runner, no matter how fast or how slow.C25K will get your legs, feet, muscles, and bones ready for the rigors of running.

I have 3 suggestions

1) Since your husband wants you to run a 5K with him get him to babysit 30 minutes a day 3 days a week. Even if it's he mans the baby monitor while you go out for that half hour after the baby is asleep.

2) Walk the 5K in April (lots of people walk them) and then start C25K after that for a race in june/july.august.

3) Find a fitness activity you'd like better than running and do it instead. Nobody HAS to run. We run because we love it. I started running for the calorie burn and when I wasn't looking I became a runner, at heart,

If you do actually start running, find a speciality running store and get them to fit you for proper running shoes. They might be a little pricy but co-pays at a doctor and missed days of work cost more.

Most of all, you should ask your husband for help with getting you the time to train up. We are talking a mere 30 minutes a day 3 days a week. HE asked YOU to join him, he should want to help.

Good luck.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    1) bundle up and go outside when hubby is there to watch the little one. Run/walk. I try to run for a song at a time (walk until my breathing is almost normal again) then run some more. Nobody said you have to run the full 5K :)
    2) Run/jog in place inside. I do this ALOT. Obviously it is vastly different from running in the elements in terms of getting you ready for your 5K but running is running. At least this way you can watch TV while you do it :)
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member

I never once said he was training for it. AND if you read my posts yes no babysitter we have literally 3 hours together a day and its while im sleeping. (12am - 3 am) so no him babysitting for me is not an option. as ive stated 3-4 times already

you said he was going to run it but not train for it.

and yes you do have a baby sitter

it's called a husband.

look. stop making excuses. Either you want to do it- or you don't.

Like I said- my BF is 2 hrs away and I see him from 5 PM to when I get home only twice a week.- IF i do not have other obligations- some times I do. I do my best to protcect those days FOR HIM but my dancing is my love- so if there is a Wed night workshop- guess what- he takes me to class- and then I go to class and he drives me home. sometimes there has to be a sacrifice.

You can take 30 minutes to go run- then take a shower together and get family time in. You can run 3 days a week.

so that's 1.5 hrs over (assuming 3 hrs toghether over 7 days) is 21 hrs

that's 19.5 hrs- subtract the shower time of 15 minutes- three times is another 45 minutes- that's still 18.75 hrs.

really? you are giving up because of that? you aren't losing that much time. Suck it up butter cup.

Really what you are doing is making excuses because if you really wanted to be doing this- you wouldnt' be asking stupid questions and you would be working something out with your husband.

like we all said- if you don't want to do it- don't do it. We don't care if you do or don't.

Edit- here's a suggestion- drive to the park together- you go run- he watches the kidlet and plays outside- when it gets to cold- they sit in the car and wait for you.
    Problem solved.

Could you please read my stuff before answering. we are both home from 12 am -3am. when i am sleeping and our daughter is sleeping. Its not that he doesnt help me train its that we literally have no time together. i saw him in person other than sleeping for the first time yesterday in 3 weeks. SO going to a park and stuff doesnt work hence to me asking about indoors.
  • Your husband can't MAKE you do a 5k. If you do not want to do it, don't do it, and tell him you're not interested. And by how you're saying you feel when trying to train, it may be too much to try to do a 5k by April. But it takes practice. Yes, you're going to get very tired and achey when you first start practicing, but that's reality. And the farther amount of time that goes on, the easier it will be for you to run. Another thing; I have anemia, which as you may or may not know, it's hard for someone with anemia to go out in the cold. But I still do. Just bundle your kid up a lot. And depending on his age, if he's old enough, you can leave him in the house and run around the block a couple times or your husband can watch him. There's so many easy solutions for this problem.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    take it slow. it's your first 5k, you don't have to be the first one across the finish line. :)
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    i used to be the same way...C2K works...and i did it on the treadmil...losing fat and gaining muscle will help your endurance to run....just keep going!!!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    ok my husband is NOT doing this 5k. He knew i was wanting to do one and one of his bosses told him about this one. He isnt pushing me into this. i am the one wanting this. and im so glad all of you can figure out ways around workschedules to do your stuff. i will remember from now on to stay off the boards cause everytime i come looking for advise i get told im "asking stupid questions" "making excuses" yadda yadda yadda
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Could you please read my stuff before answering. we are both home from 12 am -3am. when i am sleeping and our daughter is sleeping. Its not that he doesnt help me train its that we literally have no time together. i saw him in person other than sleeping for the first time yesterday in 3 weeks. SO going to a park and stuff doesnt work hence to me asking about indoors.

so when are you awake?
    work out at lunch?

all of us make sacrifices and all of us move things around and get crap done.

no one is forcing you to do it and no one is going to do it for you.

all you are doing is saying why you can't do it.

stop being a why person and start being a why not person.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    ok my husband is NOT doing this 5k. He knew i was wanting to do one and one of his bosses told him about this one. He isnt pushing me into this. i am the one wanting this. and im so glad all of you can figure out ways around workschedules to do your stuff. i will remember from now on to stay off the boards cause everytime i come looking for advise i get told im "asking stupid questions" "making excuses" yadda yadda yadda

See my above advice.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member

I never once said he was training for it. AND if you read my posts yes no babysitter we have literally 3 hours together a day and its while im sleeping. (12am - 3 am) so no him babysitting for me is not an option. as ive stated 3-4 times already

you said he was going to run it but not train for it.

and yes you do have a baby sitter

it's called a husband.

look. stop making excuses. Either you want to do it- or you don't.

Like I said- my BF is 2 hrs away and I see him from 5 PM to when I get home only twice a week.- IF i do not have other obligations- some times I do. I do my best to protcect those days FOR HIM but my dancing is my love- so if there is a Wed night workshop- guess what- he takes me to class- and then I go to class and he drives me home. sometimes there has to be a sacrifice.

You can take 30 minutes to go run- then take a shower together and get family time in. You can run 3 days a week.

so that's 1.5 hrs over (assuming 3 hrs toghether over 7 days) is 21 hrs

that's 19.5 hrs- subtract the shower time of 15 minutes- three times is another 45 minutes- that's still 18.75 hrs.

really? you are giving up because of that? you aren't losing that much time. Suck it up butter cup.

Really what you are doing is making excuses because if you really wanted to be doing this- you wouldnt' be asking stupid questions and you would be working something out with your husband.

like we all said- if you don't want to do it- don't do it. We don't care if you do or don't.

Edit- here's a suggestion- drive to the park together- you go run- he watches the kidlet and plays outside- when it gets to cold- they sit in the car and wait for you.
    Problem solved.

Would you please read what others are saying before you keep repeating the same excuses over and over? Being a runner requires you to RUN. There are plenty of non-running cardio options for indoors. Maybe one of those is more suited to your restrictive lifestyle.

I bet, truly, that if you wanted to, you could find 30 minutes, 3 days a week.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member

You're training to run a race.

To do that you need to run.

It's a distance race, meaning you need to run distance.

That's not something you can effectively do inside without a treadmill.

Can you bundle up your kid? Can you hire a babysitter? Do you have days off where the schedule transition isn't so tough?

If not, you're going to have a lot of trouble training for a 5k. Walk in place for 6 hours a day and see where that gets you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    My advice would be to bundle up and get outside.

This. + get a sitter.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

If not, you're going to have a lot of trouble training for a 5k. Walk in place for 6 hours a day and see where that gets you.

she can't- she only as 12-3 and she's sleep- so no 6 hrs for freedom for walking in place.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    If I can do it you can! I HATED running but I like obstacle courses and I had signed up for a 15+ mile one last summer so I had to incorporate running into my training plans if I had any hope of surviving! I now try to run 1-2 days a week and have done several 5Ks:) I actually enjoy running in the cold weather better than the summer (never thought I would ever be saying that!). Have dad watch the kid and get out and walk/run! The C25K program is great!

ETA: Didn't read previous posts...if you don't have time, sitter, etc then maybe a 5k isn't in the cards for you at this point. The only other suggestion I would have is to maybe run up and down stairs in your house if you have any?
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    My recomendation is to talk to your husband about choosing a 5K later in the summer or even fall. I think it's a fantastic goal especially if it gives you something to do TOGETHER. That's valuable in itself. So, you have some advice to begin training your cardio endurance now, this won't help you run, but it will strengthen your ability to get into it when you do. Also, a couple of other people have said, "no shame in walking". Also, very true. C25K, while it's a great program takes scheduling which sounds like a challenge. So, do the work you can do. Keep working on getting fit while it's cold and focus on the running later.

As a working Dad with 2 kids and a wife who does not want to run unless she's being chased, I can understand the challenges. Believe me when I say, there's time, and there are ways. You might need to be creative, but you can figure it out.

Finally, I found a treadmill for $100 on craigslist. The great thing about treadmills is that they are impulsive for a lot of people. After using it for a laundry rack for a few years, they usually sell them cheap.

Good luck.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    In the nicest possible way , stop making excuses and commit!! if that means running up and down your stairs or round you living room in circles you can still run. Its always gonna be too cold, too wet or to hot outside to train if you don't want to do it. Do you never look at people running when your sat on your *kitten* in the car and think wow they are crazy. You should think they are inspiring. they have commitment and courage and they love their own worth because they are taking charge of their lives regardless or the weather , their size , whatever. 2 years ago I smoked and had never exercised in my life. I quit smoking, started to care about myself and started the c25k programme. yes I started it about 5 times before I made progress and it hurt like hell but 5 months later I ran my first ever 5k and cried because I was so proud of myself. If I can do it anyone can especially you (if you want to that is). x good luck x
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Well, I'm probably going to p iss you off by throwing my two cents in but I'll give you the best advice anyone has ever given me: You don't wait for time to exercise, you make time to exercise. If your hubby wants you to run this, then you guys need to put your heads together and work out your schedule. I always plan running into my days/weeks. I normally run on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday but if somethings going on, then I adjust. It might be Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Or Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday. But I make it work. I don't have kids in the house so I don't have to take that into account and I understand you can't just leave a child alone while you go run.

If that doesn't work, then you may want to find a race that's later in the year so you can start training when it warms up. I myself love running in the cold and, so far, I've been running outside through the winter. As someone said, the C25k is an 8 week program so look for a race in May or June. If you're winded easy now, then you may want to plan on more than 8 weeks.

I don't know what your surroundings are, but if you have a running specialty shop you could ask if there are any indoor tracks (like at a university) that you can use. If not, then I think option 2 is your best bet.

^ not rude at all. I would LOVE to do the race in april but im thinking you are probably right about later in the year. I dont know of any running specialty shops around here. I live in a little hicktown that youhave to pay bookoo to even get internet which is why i dont have internet at home. I appriciate your non rude way of talking.

MC Sports

Wildwood Crossing
    3535 Missouri Blvd. Suite 123
    Jefferson City, MO 65109
    United States
    Phone: 573.636.2079

25 miles from Linn MO.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Not trying to be rude either, but you are each out of the house 10.5 hours a day so that there are only 3 hours in the day (well the middle of the night) that you are both there? Every day??? 7 days a week? Neither of you have any days off? Like others have said, it's only 30 minutes, 3 days a week. And if you really wanted to do it, then yes, you would be up and layered at 2:30 AM and get in your half hour there. You are already used to getting up that early so an extra half hour shouldn't make a difference and you will be able to go through the whole day proud that you already got in some exercise for the day while others were merely sleeping!
  • amshumaker88
    amshumaker88 Posts: 47 Member
    Is it possible that you might be able to use your home to your advantage during the days that are too cold for you to take your child out?? When I was trying to get into shape before having my youngest two, I couldn't get outside either during the cold due to my oldest, who was then only 1.5 years old. So I just started walking inside my house, I was lucky, as I used to have a circle between all of my rooms, but once it was gone due to remodeling I started walking from one point to another inside - I used a step counter to see how far I was going each day.... It might not prepare you to run - but it'll at least help you to start building up distance. By the time it is warm outside you'll at least have a good starting point to start running. If you end up having to walk it in April, well hey at least it is a step in the right direction. Good Luck!
  • I always wanted to run, but never could make it more than a couple of minutes. I gave up & started doing dvds at home, eventually working my way up to Insanity. Then a few months ago, I was on vacay & I had to use the hotel's workout room, which was a treadmill & elliptical. I figured I'd give it a go on the treadmill & see if I could run. And I could. First night out, I ran the 3.1 miles of a 5k. Now I'm working on a 5k on Superbowl Sunday and I can't wait. So basically, you will eventually have to just go out there, but right now since you can't run far at all, you'll have to work on your cardio. Try any DVDs you can find (library, youtube, etc) that focus on mostly cardio with some strengthening. Then, when you're able to do any kind of cardio for 45+ minutes, you'll be ready to try running.